Notices

Water Alcohol / Methanol Injeciton

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 06:51 PM
AIS
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water Alcohol / Methanol Injeciton

No supercharger or turbocharger system is complete without a water methanol/alcohol injection system (most commonly referred to as alcohol injection). Whether or not you are running an intercooled system, the benefits gained from alcohol injection are so profound you simply can't afford to run without it. The best part is that these benefits can be realized in less than an hour... the time it takes to install our system. Such benefits include:

Benefits of Water Alcohol/Methanol Injection:
  • Lower air temperatures by 50-250+ degrees
  • Reduces cylinder temperatures by 300+ degrees
  • Increase your 87-93 pump gas by 8-20+ points
  • Increase horsepower safely by 10-15%
  • Allows you to safely run more boost and timing
  • Longer more stable combustion expansion and progression
  • Removes carbon build up from combustion chambers, pistons and valves
  • Reduces & helps eliminate damaging engine detonation & pre-ignition
  • No need for expensive racing fuel or additives

Old 08-03-2007, 09:53 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Just like nitrous, great until it runs out.

What kind of Gallons per hour are you injecting?

Old 08-04-2007, 11:26 AM
AIS
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ReAX
Just like nitrous, great until it runs out.
hahaha... I've never heard it put quite like that before

What kind of Gallons per hour are you injecting?
Well here's the thing, a lot of people are concerned with gallons per hour from a consumption stand point but they should't be. The reason they should be concerned with gallons per hour is from a performance perspective. Let me explain.

Most of the systems we sell come with a 1.5 gallon tank. Typically, our customers only fill their tank once every four weeks (some go as long as 6 weeks!!). This is with their normal street driving, even racing from light to light. If you break this down their water consumption is about 7 ounces per day. The reason for this is because the system only activates when it reaches a certain amount of boost. Since a forced induction motor isn't always running in boost the system won't always be on... it will be in standby ready to inject water in a milliseconds notice when the motor hits the desired boost level. **Note the system basically works the same in a NA motor... it just uses vacuum as the input instead of boost.

You can be assured that you will fill your fuel tank up more than your water injection tank.

Now to answer your question specifically... we set up our systems, depending on the application, to have a MAX flow rating of 6 or 12 GPH. As you can see this rating is a lot higher than what is actually consumed. The reason behind this is performance related. When you hit that boost level you need a certain amount of water to flow... you just do not need it to flow at all times.

Hope this answers your question. If you have any others feel free to shoot them my way. You're always more than welcome to give us a call too.

- Nathan

Last edited by AIS; 08-04-2007 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:42 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Strangely enough this was one of the future mods I was considering, and you answered some of my questions about it. But now for some more in depth.

On a N/A motor, (probably the same for S/C as well) do you recommend or setup your systems pre or post MAF? I imagine that if the MAF registered the cooler air, it would bring the timing and fuel up.

Do you recommend running something special in the system, or will washer fluid work well enough?

Old 08-05-2007, 04:47 PM
AIS
Freshman User
On a N/A motor, (probably the same for S/C as well) do you recommend or setup your systems pre or post MAF? I imagine that if the MAF registered the cooler air, it would bring the timing and fuel up.
You definitely DO NOT want to run the injector before the MAF sensor. These sensors are delicate so injecting anything before the MAF could damage it. If you're concerned about the engine compensating for cooler air, don't worry, your AIT will handle that job. If you tell me what type of vehicle and engine configuration you have I can give you more details about how that works.

Do you recommend running something special in the system, or will washer fluid work well enough?
Because washer fluid provides a great water/meth mix and is readily available we typically recommend our customers run with that. You could run straight distilled water but if you live in a region that gets really cold in the winter you will still have to add some methanol to prevent the water from freezing and ruining the system. Another option... you could mix your own water/methanol. However, you wouldn't want to have a mixture greater than 50/50; otherwise, the mix becomes flammable and you run the risk of fire.

Bottom line... washer fluid does the job you need it to for very little expense (about $1 or $2 per month).

Also, don't fall iinto the hype of buying special mixes from companies selling water injection systems. They are literally just relabeling washer fluid. This is why we don't sell a 'special mix'. Our attitude is... why charge a ridiculous premium for something anybody could buy locally and for next to nothing.

Old 08-05-2007, 06:48 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
I have a 2002 F250, and the IAT is integrated in the MAF. I was hoping that a system like yours could also use the PCM to increase timing.

Very good to know about the washer fluid.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:21 AM
AIS
Freshman User
I had a feeling you were going to say that your AIT was integrated into the MAF sensor. It's really not a big deal... most tune shops are used to dealing with this because Mustangs have the same set up. They just remove it from the MAF and put into the manifold.

I'm assuming you are running a NA motor, right? Give me some details about why you want to add a water injection system.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:51 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
I am just looking for more mods. I like it when customers come into my shop and I have first hand experience with what they want to do. I am maxed out on the common boltons so it's time for less common.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:04 PM
AIS
Freshman User
PM sent to ReAX