Sponsored by: Moser

77 F250 power assist cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 09:34 PM
oldfordman59
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
77 F250 power assist cylinder

My power assist cylinder has been leaking pretty bad. I have removed it but I am at a standstill. I honestly don't know how to disassemble this thing. It appears everything comes out the shaft end but how do you get it apart? I don't want to jerk on it and break it. I have removed the snap ring and washer. I can probably find seals for it if I can get it apart. Can anyone help? You can email me direct at dba3@satx.rr.com Thanks in advance. oldfordman59

Old 08-09-2007, 11:42 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Garrison or Bendix ?

Old 08-09-2007, 11:52 PM
oldfordman59
New User
Thanks for the blow up of the control valve. I may need that in the future. Right now my concern is at the hydraulic cylinder that bolts to the front axle and the drag link located under the right front center area. Everything I get for this truck is and "up to". The VIN is F26SLY02026, man date is Dec 76. I have been trying to find a blow of this cylinder for quite a while with no luck. I hope you can help. Thanks again.

Old 08-11-2007, 01:34 PM
oldfordman59
New User
Fyi

I am inputing this for information purposes in hopes that It may be able to help someone else out there.

The power assist cylinder does not come apart. It has to be cut open, seals and packing replaced and rewelded back together. Not something that you can do at home in your garage normally. The only alternatives are to find a used one (good luck) or purchase one from another source like LMCtruck.com. I am currently waiting for a reply from the Junk Yard Dog search engine. I still have the one I took off the truck in case I end up using it for a core. I called over 30 wrecking yards in South Texas with no luck. I hope the national locater will find one for me. Thanks guys. oldfordman59

Old 08-11-2007, 07:53 PM
Mil1ion
New User
What's the part number if seen here?

Old 08-11-2007, 09:28 PM
oldfordman59
New User
The part number on this exploded view is 3A540 and it uses the Bendix control valve. The upper or installed location shows it correctly, the mid section illustration shows it with the hoses but backwards, the lower illustration shows it without the hoses. Thanks for responding. oldfordman59

Old 08-12-2007, 06:08 AM
marcs724
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
believe it or not, when I restored my 77 highboy, i found a reman unit at Auto Zone of all places. I never had much faith in the chain stores, but they were able to get it for a decent price. I think they had the control valves available also.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:41 PM
oldfordman59
New User
I tried that. They said it was available and I ordered it. I paid cash up front. I waited a week and no part, I waited another week and they said their supplier no longer supplied that item and they gave me my money back. I was pretty excited when I thought I was getting it quickly from Auto Zone, but they let me down. I tried all the chain stores, Advance, Car Quest, O'reilly's etc. Nobody could get me one.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:27 PM
kc9fxq
New User
Is there any way to eliminate the power assist assembly

Old 08-13-2007, 04:08 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Yes, the tech article is in the tech article section.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/10/0/

Old 08-13-2007, 04:52 PM
FordTrucksKickGM
Posting Guru
Just take it in to a hydraulic shop that works with heavy equipment and have it rebuilt.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:50 PM
oldfordman59
New User
I took it to two places that rebuild and repair hydraulic equipment. They both said the same thing. This is not a standard hydraulic cylinder. It is a dual action and they didn't know if they couild get the right "packing" for the inside. I did find a place on the east coast that does rebuild these cylinders and he warned me about the packing inside the cylinder. I don't know what kind of packing they are talking about, but I don't want to have someone cut it open and then tell me they can't do it. Then I would be stuck with nothing to use as a core if I find a rebuilt one. I could send it to that place to have it rebuilt, and I may yet, but I really don't want to let it go until I have a replacement in my hands. I have only gotten one response from the Junk Yard Dog search and I haven't called on that yet. If I can get a used one that works, then I can send this one off and have it rebuilt. I am not interested in changing the entire power steering system to eliminate this cylinder. I try to keep the truck and much original as possible.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:54 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Check out: CJ Pony Parts

They should have the parts or know where to get them.

also check www.rockauto.com

Classic Mustangs equipped with Bendix power-assisted steering yield all kinds of challenges for enthusiasts who have to live with them. When components are fresh and everything is installed properly, Bendix power-assisted steering works quite well, and without the leaks. However, not enough of us are getting that one right when it comes to maintenance. We use lines and hoses that don’t fit. And we tend to get in a hurry and screw things up without realizing it.
Did you know you can rebuild your Mustang’s power-steering control valve yourself? All you need is a clean setting (hospital clean), a mind for detail, organization, and the right parts from CJ Pony Parts. Before disassembling the control valve, always thoroughly clean the valve in a parts washer or with brake cleaner to remove dirt and grit that can harm the valve’s precision parts. These parts are so precise that a speck of dust can cause major damage or valve malfunction.

When you disassemble the valve, always note what order the parts come out. This is an area too easily screwed up. All parts must go back in exactly the same location they came from for proper operation.

If you’re considering rebuilding the power ram (also called a power cylinder), forget it. We’ve learned from John’s Mustangs & Classics that Bendix power steering rams are not rebuildable by the enthusiast. The most you can do with the ram is replace the seals, insert, and rubber wipers. The ram piston cannot be replaced because the ram housing is welded together. CJ Pony Parts has a new power ram if seals and wipers don’t correct leakage issues.

If your control valve is corroded or damaged beyond repair, look to CJ Pony Parts for new and remanufactured power steering components to help get you back on the road in short order.

Last edited by Mil1ion; 08-13-2007 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:34 PM
kc9fxq
New User
you can get the power assist pump at lmctruck.com also
they call it a control valve for $250
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fc/0095.asp

Old 08-15-2007, 05:04 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
I took all of it off & put a 3/4 ton chevy steering gear box in its place,,A little fabrication & all good....

Brand new ,those systems sucked,,......

Quick Reply: 77 F250 power assist cylinder