Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Throttle body spacer

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 09:54 PM
emptyd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throttle body spacer

Forgive me for reincarnating this thread but... I haven't laughed so hard in a long time! Thanks go out to krewat, monsta, and especially big10! "Never argue with a fool, others may not know the difference". I'll let you all decide who is who!

krewat, you killed the thread too soon! I can't pay for entertainment this good.

Thread highlights:
Q: Are you seriously trying to tell me that a spacer actually pressurizes the air and acts like a [really] small supercharger. Are you for real?
A: It feeds more air into the intake and when it does do you think that increase of air goes?

Q: Can someone explain to me, scientifically, how this claim could be possible?
A: Air molecules are squeezed tighter and tighter together as they move down the vortex until the sub-atomic particles themselves become unglued transforming into new and unrecognized forms of energy.

Wow! What a treat! You guys should take it on the road, maybe to Vegas - I'd pay to watch this live and in person!

I love you guys... well sorta. Ok, krewat, you can kill this thread now too.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:58 AM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Before krewat exterminates it:

I have a whole bag of clothes pins that eliminates vapor lock. And I have moth ***** wrapped in jungle wrap that increase horsepower by 33 1/3%. I also have Teflon beads (about 3/64" diameter) for trannies, transfer cases, differentials, etc.

Better hurry before I post them on Ebay....

Old 08-08-2007, 01:08 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Don't forget the acetone...

One of the best things I saw lately was a device for diesel engines. Some fleets had actuall installed them on their trucks and saw a difference!

It's a thing that looks like an inline filter. You can install it anywhere. Before the injection pump. After the injection pump (if it's common rail). You can even install one on each injector's feed line. At $250-300 each, plus a $80 "installation kit".

Thing was, this one fleet had actually noticed a different in fuel mileage. What was the one thing that caught my eye? They told the drivers. So they knew they were being "watched" and either slowed down or just let off the go-pedal a little bit when accelerating. Or didn't rev it out as far.

The trick was, this gimmick was supposed to "change the direction of fuel flow" or swirl it, for better fuel atomization - never mind the incredible pressure diesel injectors work under, or the fact that by the time the fuel got through the injection pump it was no longer swirling - if it was in the first place.

--

I only closed that thread because of the obvious arguing, myself included, and calling Monsta (Ken) ignorant after moderating here at FTE for quite a few years, sorry, I just couldn't take it anymore.

I've heard of these V10's doing some strange things - from pinging until a PCM reset, to sluggishness until a PCM reset, that I think that guy's only improvement was the PCM running in open loop and relearning everything.

To this day, I can take my V10 out, drive it like grampa and it's sluggish all the time. Take it out another day, beat the snot out of it, and within a half an hour, the thing is lively as a puppy.

Go out and play for a while with a 2000-2004 (or even a '99?) and I bet it starts showing better throttle response and overall power - or at least, it FEELS that way because the throttle response is better. What does it? The PCM realizing you NEED the power - and giving it to you. Lots of people have experienced this over the years.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:38 PM
michaelmueller
Senior User
Originally Posted by krewat

To this day, I can take my V10 out, drive it like grampa and it's sluggish all the time. Take it out another day, beat the snot out of it, and within a half an hour, the thing is lively as a puppy.

Go out and play for a while with a 2000-2004 (or even a '99?) and I bet it starts showing better throttle response and overall power - or at least, it FEELS that way because the throttle response is better. What does it? The PCM realizing you NEED the power - and giving it to you. Lots of people have experienced this over the years.
kind of like the feeling you get when you unhook you're car trailer after a long haul and then go for a ride, she feels pretty peppy then.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:12 PM
hydro_37
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some threads are great for a good laugh now and then but when the insults and name calling start then I am glad a moderator steps in and stops it. This site is a superb site for information and let's keep it that way please. Thanks to everyone.... Tim

Old 08-08-2007, 03:14 PM
big10
Senior User
Hey what gives, you are all senior user to the forum you should be helping younger users not giving them a hard time and telling them how foolish they are. I was so defensive becuase everyone was ganging up on me with sarcastic feedback twisting my words. I appologize to anyone I may have offended(krewat, monsta and who ever else). All I intended to do with the tread was help and I ended up defending myself and trying to find a reason with rediculous statements on why it may have worked. Maybe they dont work, I really wouldnt know either way to be honest. I would still like to see a dyno test because maybe I was fooled by the reset of the PCM but I felt a difference. In the future could you more experienced guys give help without being sarcastic so arguments dont start. I like the forum and like getting good honest advice. Sorry again!

Old 08-08-2007, 07:00 PM
TeamMudd
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by big10
Hey what gives, you are all senior user to the forum you should be helping younger users not giving them a hard time and telling them how foolish they are. I was so defensive becuase everyone was ganging up on me with sarcastic feedback twisting my words. I appologize to anyone I may have offended(krewat, monsta and who ever else). All I intended to do with the tread was help and I ended up defending myself and trying to find a reason with rediculous statements on why it may have worked. Maybe they dont work, I really wouldnt know either way to be honest. I would still like to see a dyno test because maybe I was fooled by the reset of the PCM but I felt a difference. In the future could you more experienced guys give help without being sarcastic so arguments dont start. I like the forum and like getting good honest advice. Sorry again!
i posted it before in the "closed thread"............

most you'll probably see 3-5rwhp gain out of a TB spacer, and that's about all you'll see! i've seen more than one ricer get discoraged by the claims of 35HP and 25FT/LBS...........it's no different on the 10er.

if you compare the HP gain to price, it's not worth it. if you got yours for free, good to go! i payed $5.00 off e-bay to try it, the most gains in MPG were about 1-1.5 pretty steady. i noticed a big difference after a fuel filter change and a PCM reset on mine. some have said a cleaning of the Mass air flow sensor will have a noticable difference too.....maybe not required, but good practice in maintenance!

Old 08-09-2007, 04:37 AM
big10
Senior User
I hear you Team Mudd, your input has been pretty good all along. The thing is I never claimed any hp or tq increase, just throttle response. I also know you can pick them up dirt cheap like you found your and if you can itll take 15 min to have a little change in the pep of your 10. Have you dyno with your banks headers. Love the sound of your truck man. I want the headers but would like to know the results before I spend a grand.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:12 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
For the record big10, there was no sarcasm in my posts. I wrote every one of them with a straight face.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:56 PM
big10
Senior User
Yeah, well its all over with now. I was being defensive and acted like an a$$. Let me ask you something now. I hear many things about the y pipe. I see you have the FM y, do you know for sure if it makes a difference. Most say headers will give some increase but the stock y is better even with its goofy design. I have also heard they have proven this theory with dyno test but thats all hearsay till I see them. Did it make a difference for you. I ask because I considered changing mine but everyone says Ford made these trucks with optimal low end power and if you cant get more air in with bolt ons how could you get more out without losing needed backpressure?

Old 08-09-2007, 04:18 PM
big10
Senior User
Oh yeah, I forgot something. I have also read that the exhuast manifolds were best for low end power. They said the timing was set up so the exhaust from one cylinder helped pull the next cylinder to creat peak low end torque. Before anyone get crazy or ask me "are you for real" these are not my words just something I read. I just want the straight scoop so I dont buy something and not get the results I hoped for.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:46 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot something. I have also read that the exhuast manifolds were best for low end power. They said the timing was set up so the exhaust from one cylinder helped pull the next cylinder to creat peak low end torque. Before anyone get crazy or ask me "are you for real" these are not my words just something I read. I just want the straight scoop so I dont buy something and not get the results I hoped for.
I highly doubt the 2V "Logs" were designed to do anything but be cheap to make. They are going to be removed from my truck before winter.

The 3V manifolds are much better and take on a more "Header" like look, which makes them much better than the logs on the 2V.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:54 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
I put the cheapo eBay shorty headers on my '01, and they definitely let it breathe much better at mid-to-high RPMs.

They didn't change the low-end torque, but I still have the stock exhaust after the headers.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:07 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Yeah, well its all over with now. I was being defensive and acted like an a$$. Let me ask you something now. I hear many things about the y pipe. I see you have the FM y, do you know for sure if it makes a difference. Most say headers will give some increase but the stock y is better even with its goofy design. I have also heard they have proven this theory with dyno test but thats all hearsay till I see them. Did it make a difference for you. I ask because I considered changing mine but everyone says Ford made these trucks with optimal low end power and if you cant get more air in with bolt ons how could you get more out without losing needed backpressure?
From what I've read here it is probably the best improvement for the 2V.

I'll find out when I get a chance to put the one I made on. I can't stand looking at the stocker when changing oil, what a clusterf*$k.

I highly doubt the 33hp the ebay y-pipe says.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:29 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I cannot say for sure that the Y-pipe did anything since I (stupidly) put my banks monster exhaust on at the same time. I say stupidly because I should have dyno'd stock, y-pipe and then Banks. But in my defense, I didn't find out that there was a dyno on the island until 2 month after I made the change.

It sure felt different and towing & acceleration times improved.

You are referring to exhaust scavenging. You can get the scavenging effect from headers as well. I would bet if the header pipes aren't too large then you'll optimize scavenging.

The neck down in the Y-pipe, to me, reduces that effect and is only there for noise abatement.

Quick Reply: Throttle body spacer