2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator fluid smell in cab area

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 08:23 PM
bamacommander
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Radiator fluid smell in cab area

I have a 2007 Screw 4x4 King Ranch F 150 with 5000 miles and have noticed for a while a radiator fluid smell when the A/C is on. I have looked at the engine bay and underneath the truck and do not see or smell any radiator fluid in this area. In addition, the resevoir is right on the button and I have not had to add any fluid. Does anyone have any ideas? I have not taken it in only because I cannot find any problem, other than the smell. One other thing is that the smell goes away after a short time.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:40 PM
VFR_Man
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It could be from the heater core, but unless it leaks on the floor for you, you probably can't tell without ripping the housing clean apart, and you may not even see it then.

I have two vehicles (not the F150) that do the same thing at start up on occasion and have done so for quite a few years. There has to be fluid getting out somewhere, but it's probably only a drip or two and never amounts to enough to see on the floor nor notice missing from the overflow bottle.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:48 PM
black04lariat
Elder User
I had a heater core go bad and it smelled like coolant in the cab. Also, check the vents when the air is coming on. When mine went, it looked as if there was a 'fog' coming out the vents when the air was on. If it is the heater core, be prepared to leave it for a couple days because it will most likely take them a while to fix it. The one I have replaced involved taking the entire dash out. And I mean entire. The truck was bare from the front seats to the firewall. I am not sure where the heater core is located in our trucks but I am guessing up there on the firewall. Fun to say the least... Take it to ford and have them look at it.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:14 PM
gcozmo
Senior User
Mine does the same thing. I have watched the Antifreeze level and checked around the truck with no leaks or fluid level changes. I have noticed that it is a little over filled and I have been planning on removing a little bit to see if that helps.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:30 PM
DoughboyRacing
Junior User
I'd keep a close watch on the fluid level. I had an '02 that did that for about a week & then finally it started going down. Turned out to be the heater core. Cheap part, not so cheap labor. Dash did have to come out, took a day to do (NOT by me, however).

Old 08-14-2007, 08:42 PM
baitmaster
Posting Guru
Some heater cores have a small lip on the bottom that catches fluids, and then they evaporate. Usually the inside of the windshield will fog up and get greasy with a leaker core.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:48 PM
Corey872
Senior User
Sometimes the HVAC air inlet can suck in smells from outside the cab (especially if it is not in recirculate mode). So you may want to double check under the hood as well, and make sure the radiator cap is on tight - the new F150's have the pressure cap actually on the plastic reservoir so the whole bit is pressurized.

But definitely keep an eye on the level...maybe even put a piece of tape on the reservoir when the truck is cool, then you can see if the fluid goes down by even a tiny amount. I'd definitely mention it to the dealer and document who and when you told them, too. You should still be under warranty and if you mention it ASAP, you can always point back to that and say "Look, I let you know about this when the truck had only 5,000 miles"

Old 08-15-2007, 09:19 PM
2veloce
Senior User
Check the cap...that solved my odor problem