Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Anybody tried this impact ratchet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 04:49 AM
WVBrady
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->http://www.mytoolstore.com/ke/kw1175.html

I had wondered why no one had made one of these, and just found this one by accident. It appears to work more like an impact wrench than a conventional ratchet. It has a higher max torque rating than most ratchets and, as they say in the description, it should have less of a tendancy to slam your fingers into surrounding hard, metal parts. My regular ratchet would have less of a tendancy to do that if it didn't have such a "hair trigger". Has anyone replaced the spring on the actuating lever with a heavier one?

Brady
<!-- / message -->

Old 08-07-2007, 07:51 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Not too bad, a bit pricey, but an air ratchet shouldn't be used for high torque apps anyways- The drive is a fairly small offset pin on the air motor shaft, that just wobbles the head back and forth to work the ratchet action. Too much torque, and that pin breaks, making for a rather pricey paperweight.
I always prefer to break the nut/bolt loose then use the air ratchet to run it out, or just use a 3/8" impact if i need slightly more torque.
I can see where it would be nice to fit into some areas, though.