Tow Dolly drive shaft question

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 03:38 PM
nikko3993
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tow Dolly drive shaft question

When using a tow dolly on a 1990 Ford Ranger XLT 2wd, do I need to remove the drive shaft to avoid damage to the automatic transmission? Towing the truck apprx 800 miles.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:09 PM
CougarXR02
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes. if you said 8 miles across town, no big deal. But 800, definately yes.

Don't worry too much as it should only take about 5-10 minutes to pop it off. And being a pick up you can just stick it in the bed for the trip. If the truck has been sitting for a while, or just has unknown service history, take a check of the rear diff. fluid level. make sure it's topped up.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:22 PM
nikko3993
New User
Thanks CougarXR02, I'll definitely check the diff. fluid level and make sure it's topped off prior to the long haul.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:54 PM
CougarXR02
Elder User
Originally Posted by nikko3993
Thanks CougarXR02, I'll definitely check the diff. fluid level and make sure it's topped off prior to the long haul.
worth noting, i think you may lose a small amount of tranny fluid when pulling out the driveshaft. So be ready to catch it. or do it in the dirt. lol. just remember to check the level when you reach your destination and go to drive the truck again.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:51 AM
Casey
Posting Guru
With the front wheels up on the dolly you may lose a lot more than a small amount of trans fluid. It may lose several quarts during the trip.

I would remove the shaft from the axle flange, duct tape the u-joint caps, and securely tie the shaft up under the truck with the yoke still in the trans.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:59 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Originally Posted by Casey
With the front wheels up on the dolly you may lose a lot more than a small amount of trans fluid. It may lose several quarts during the trip.

I would remove the shaft from the axle flange, duct tape the u-joint caps, and securely tie the shaft up under the truck with the yoke still in the trans.
Yes, and in addition to keeping the ATF off the freeway, it will also keep any foreign objects like sand or grit from getting blown inside the tranny. There is a LOT of turbulance under the vehicle while underway so don't think it won't get dirty in there.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:58 PM
CougarXR02
Elder User
I am used to them being stationary with the driveshaft out. Good call.

instead of worrying about losing a driveshaft that's tethered under a moving truck, maybe go to the local hardware store and find a large enough rubber "cork" type stopper. Pop it in and even duct tape over it. For the couple bux buy 2 in case you lose it along the way. You are only keeping fluid from running out, not holding back operating pressure.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:50 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
The spline shaft will prevent a cork from being inserted. Perhaps taping a plastic bag over the end of the tailshaft to keep the dirt out. You'll lose some ATF but no dirt will enter.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:06 AM
rustydailey
Senior User
You can get a plug from a transmission shop that will just plug the tail shaft then you can tape it on to make sure that it doesn't fall out.

Rusty

Old 08-08-2007, 04:56 PM
rclarke
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why not just put the rear wheels on the dolly and tow it backwards. Don't have to worry about the driveshaft or the transmission fluid.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:58 PM
CougarXR02
Elder User
i've been thinking about that. i know there is no real tongue weight. but I think it will tend to get very squirrelly at highway speed with the weight all being at the back.

Old 08-10-2007, 02:02 PM
MuddyAxles
Elder User
Worst case scenario.....

I saw first hand what can happen when towing a vehicle long distance at interstate speeds that isn't properly prepared.

Here's the story:

Driving tractor-trailer down I-90 in New York, somewhere between Rochester and Syracuse I came upon a vehicle that was smoking real bad. They had pulled off on the shoulder already. I could see the towed van was almost ready to turn into a roadside bar-be-que. Pulled off fast, grabbed fire extinguisher and ran back. We emptied it but the heat coming from underneath was too intense and we just slowed the progress of the fire a little.

Sad part was that it was a vintage VW micro-minibus from sixties or early seventies and was filled with many personal belongings. I don't recall whether the front was on a dolly or if it was towed with a tow-bar...it was nine years ago, mind you.

Of course there was no easy way to pull the drive shaft since those were rear-engine, rear wheel drive with a trans-axle. Maybe coulda pulled the half-shafts, I dunno. And who knows whether it was manual and low on oil or automatic. I've also read some manuals won't splash lubricate everything necessary when being towed, but that could have been an old wive's (or garageman's) tale. All I know is that baby burnt all the way.

I had them unhook from it and pull away so their car wouldn't burn too...these people were absolutely helpless...seems like they didn't even speak English all that well.

Short answer: pull the drive shaft and tow it with the heavy end forward, you'll just like the way it handles better.

Here's another towing story backing up why the towing vehicle should outweigh (including tongue weight) the towed vehicle:

Occasionally our unit (C Btry, 4/41 FA, 56th FA Bde) would supply drivers to the Motor Pool for details they didn't want to send their people out on. I don't remember whether I was assigned or volunteered, but my job that day was to take two trucks from our location to the Army boneyard near Stuttgart, one towing the other.

My set-up consisted of a short wheel base 5-ton cargo truck towing a 5-ton wrecker (which had a boom, turret, outriggers, etc.). The wrecker outweighed the empty cargo truck by a fair amount. They said: "Just be careful." Yeh, famous last words.

All went well until I had to make a short stop while going downhill. I think someone pulled out or decided to make a last minute left turn. The wheels on my truck locked up right away and that wrecker just shoved me down the street. I didn't hit anything, but I came to rest almost jack-knifed with my front wheels on the sidewalk just feet from someone's front door! Scared the HE\_ \_ outa me!

I guess all this points out is that there are rules for towing and they exist for some very good reasons.

Last edited by MuddyAxles; 08-10-2007 at 02:07 PM.