General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

The Stock Market Thread: What Capitalism Is All About

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 06:40 PM
I6power
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sooo how about a link or something that i could read the baisics of what you guys are talking about. I would like to start learning about investing as well.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:03 PM
bf250
Post Fiend
i would love to get involved, besides basic economics and such, i am not that knowledgable at all about the specifics of the market and how to go about buying, selling or whatever about it.

i have a good book called "investing bible" that seems pretty good, i got it back when i did not mave any money. then when i did make money, i was to scared really to invest (blame lack of knowledge) plus i thought i might need the money for when i got out of the Navy. (which i did).

i do have some emergency funds (sshhhh, don't tell anyone) that i wouldn't mind playing with once i get a steady income flow going again, they are holed up at hsbc.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:16 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by I6power
Sooo how about a link or something that i could read the baisics of what you guys are talking about. I would like to start learning about investing as well.
A link to online investing?.....Or investing in the stock market in general?.....

This IS the link....We ARE the source......

Old 08-07-2007, 07:18 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by bf250
i would love to get involved, besides basic economics and such, i am not that knowledgable at all about the specifics of the market and how to go about buying, selling or whatever about it.
You may know more than you think.....And I think that part of getting involved means asking questions.....Something lacking so far in this thread.....Ask away, someone here may have the answer.....and everyone reading can enjoy the answer......

Old 08-07-2007, 08:46 PM
bf250
Post Fiend
the problem is, what questions to even ask?

i guess the first thing to realize is, what the goal of the investments is.

my main goal, once i get on my feet, is for retirement. i am going to play with some aggressive growth high risk stuff, but i would like to start by funneling into a diversified and not too conservative, but maybe low to medium risk type stuff.

not sure where to start, or even when right now, i am expecting next year to be back in the black, so then will have some money to throw around and see what happens.

i was thinking also for house down payment, it would be nice to have built up some sort of decent down payment in a few years when the time comes to buy.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:16 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Bf, I saw in other threads you got the regular gig going again.........

You're a relatively young man also, and just got out of the navy not too long ago.......

Retirement and getting on your feet is the goal right now?.......Don't even think of doing anything else right now aside from fully funding a 401-K and building up your emergency savings......Fully funding means AT LEAST matching whatever your employer will put into it......If they'll contribute up to 5% of your salary, then I'd recommend you put in at least 5% (10% total).....More if you can do it......

And get that 3-month to 6-month savings built up.........That's the recommended target.....3 to 6 months at a level that will pay all your bills for that period of time if you get laid off, or sick, or whatever....

Do these two things first.....And pay off any debt you may have......And if you STILL have money left over to play with, then by all means.......

Am I missing anything guys?......

Regarding stocks.....Your 401-K will be made up of different mutual funds.....Which are simply professionally managed baskets of stocks/bonds, etc.......So it still would behoove you or anyone to educate yourself on the stock market.....Mutual funds have ups and downs also......

Now MY goal is long-term growth.....Not necessarily to buy something on the cheap and make oogles of money in a short period of time so's to buy that 70' Hatteras sportfisher that I always wanted (haha)......

Also, who do you bank with?.....You don't need to answer on the open board here (I'd prefer you didn't...none of my business)...but check their brokerage services....You can tie any investments you may make (stocks, bonds, mutual funds) into an IRA retirement account.......

Read, read, read......Money magazine....Smart Money magazine.....Kiplingers Personal Finance magazine.....You'll pick up a little from each.....Still, you're in your 20s....so you have a LOT of lead time.....

Last edited by cmpd1781; 08-07-2007 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:09 PM
Netfly
Elder User
Here is some good basic info for new investors:

http://morningstar.tdameritrade.com/
TDA/TDAClassroom/home.asp?MP=IC&CDI=&user_id=&Domain=http://www.tdameritrade.com&VendorDomain=
&Screeners=Y&HeaderPath=/iframes/nav.html&HeaderHeight=143&HeaderWidth=100%&HeaderS tyle=&HeaderScroll
=no&FooterPath=/iframes/footer.html&FooterHeight=174&FooterWidth=100%&Foot erStyle=&FooterScroll=no

Sharebuilder and mutual funds are great for the beginning investors. When you get some experience you will find it beneficial to invest directly. ETFs offer some advantages over mutual funds. Read all you can, diversify and just remember no matter what you buy or sell there is always someone on the other side of the trade betting that you are wrong. (Confidence inspiring isn’t it?) That is what makes a market. Here are a few investing axioms that I try to keep in mind when taking a position: "The trend is your friend", "Never try to catch a falling knife", "Bottoms are made over time, not distance" and "Buy when there is blood in the streets".

Last edited by IB Tim; 08-08-2007 at 07:13 AM.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:33 AM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
DON'T USE THE ABOVE LINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tried to open.....Said "Page Cannot Be Displayed".......Couldn't back out of the page, and had to close the browser to get out.......

Careful with the links we post, folks.......

Steve

Old 08-08-2007, 08:38 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If you're go with mutual funds, go with a Vanguard account until you get savvy. Vanguard is "shareholder" owned just like an electric co-op. This makes their fees the lowest in the industry because the company doesn't make profits like a standard company does, it distributes them back as dividends. Even 1% in fees from other companies (and they can be much higher) can equal tens of thousands of dollars by the time you retire).

Old 08-08-2007, 08:39 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by krewat
I'd say why that is, but you know what? I got lambasted the last time I tried to talk about my own personal knowledge of such things.

Let's just say, that even though they are not supposed to exist, there are little pieces of software running out there that knudge some things one way or the other. On purpose. Matter of fact, the last time I, ahem, worked on one of those things, I was in the WTC thinking "What would happen if a plane crashed into the building?"...
Of course such things exist. It would be foolish to suggest they didn't.
Thier impact however (in comparison to other market forces) is relatively minimal.

For those that want a quick lesson, try this thread. Any questions, post up!!!
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...ing-money.html
Originally Posted by bigrigfixer
I had a consultant come out to my house and give us a free presentation on how we could retire as millionaires at age 60.

It amazes me, that such people still exist. WALK AWAY.
he has been taking care of my finances for years now and has funded my comfortable retirement without reducing my worth. He is probably the best investment I ever made.
I am glad it has worked out well for you.
But for those unitiated you need to be cautious when entrusting others with your money. Doesn't matter what thier promises, and or credentials may be.
Originally Posted by andym
Playing the stock market is basically gambling.
Now, back to you Andy...

Using the first financial principle. Risk vs. Potential Return.
Gambling - your risk is ALWAYS greater than your potential return.
Intelligent Investing - it NEVER is.

Gambling is a way of distributing funds. Investing is a way of wealth creation.

The stock market is the most elaborate, intelligent way of evaluating commodities and services and thier worth to us as people.
Originally Posted by bf250
i do have some emergency funds (sshhhh, don't tell anyone) that i wouldn't mind playing with once i get a steady income flow going again, they are holed up at hsbc.
I would keep it that way too. Only invest what you are prepared to loose.
what the goal of the investments is.
That IS the question.
What do you want from your money?

Do you want a better lifestyle? Do you want to send your kids through college? Want to buy a small African nation?
Personally I like the concept of my money working for me as opposed to working for my money.
Also, growing up as a farmers kid, I learnt the "make hay while the sun shines". You never know whats around the corner, so prepare for what CAN happen. Money can rectify most of those "happenings".
Originally Posted by cpmd1781
And get that 3-month to 6-month savings built up
My favourite thing about the stock market is its liquidity.
I run a one month strategy in cash myself. At the end of the month, surplus gets invested. If I have a defecit it gets "uninvested".
I will admit it is a slightly higher risk (but through diversification - its pretty low), but I don't like to see my money sitting in the bank, getting 3/4 of beggar all interest.

Also, set saving targets (I apologise for heading this into a generic money thread, as opposed to stock stuff).
My personal one, is for every dollar spent on luxury items (i.e. not basic food, rent, transportation), I have to save a dollar.
But find what works for you.

But above all, start investing. The earlier you get in, the higher the likelyhood of a bigger increase in your wealth.
Compound interest IS good

Old 08-08-2007, 08:48 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by FTE Ken
If you're go with mutual funds, go with a Vanguard account until you get savvy. Vanguard is "shareholder" owned just like an electric co-op. This makes their fees the lowest in the industry because the company doesn't make profits like a standard company does, it distributes them back as dividends. Even 1% in fees from other companies (and they can be much higher) can equal tens of thousands of dollars by the time you retire).
Do you have funds that are traded in the US on the stock exchange?

We have some stocks here - where you buy into, and they are a managed fund, just listed on the stock exchange, therefore no fee's (beyond the brokerage to buy the stock in the investment company). So you get the benefit of the potential return of the stock market (and hopefully better), with diversification.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:48 PM
Netfly
Elder User
Sorry about the bad link guys. It worked when posted, I tested it. Hope this one works better:

www.morningstar.com/Cover/Classroom.html

Last edited by Netfly; 08-08-2007 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:55 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Good points, Aussie......

One minor point (not really a correction, just a clarification)......

Yes, stocks are considered "liquid" assets.....The only problem is, it takes a bit longer to actually get the cash in hand if needed.....By the time a "sale" goes through on a stock to the time it actually gets into your bank account, it's usually several days to a week.......I'm not necessarily recommending a savings account (but I'm not recommending AGAINST it either).....the 3 to 6 month emergency savings can be in a money market account which yields a little higher than a savings account.....The point is, having emergency money that you can access right away.....

Your last point is the best....Start early and reap the benefits....You guys in your 20s are lucky as hell......

Old 08-08-2007, 02:37 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
[QUOTE, FTE Fred]
But for those unitiated you need to be cautious when entrusting others with your money. Doesn't matter what thier promises, and or credentials may be. [/QUOTE]You give some good advise. Of course one needs to be careful .... "A fool and his money are soon parted", but the right professional will earn his fee to the benefit of the investor.

Last edited by dono; 08-08-2007 at 02:41 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:00 PM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

Originally Posted by FTE Fred
It amazes me, that such people still exist. WALK AWAY.
I did. But at least he was decent enough to be up front about it. Some other advisors I spoke to weren't as forthcoming.

Quick Reply: The Stock Market Thread: What Capitalism Is All About