Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Towing Forum > Slide-in / Truck Campers
Reload this Page >

Can a Ford Ranger handle a slide in camper?

Notices

Can a Ford Ranger handle a slide in camper?

Old 08-05-2007, 06:39 PM
Rachelle
New User
Rachelle is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question Can a Ford Ranger handle a slide in camper?

We have a 1999 Ford Ranger, 4 dr. extra cab, 6 cyl. 5 speed manual transmission. I was wondering if a slide in cab over camper that weighs 1178 WITH propane, water & ice would be o.k. to tow on a Ranger without ruining the rear end?

Old 08-05-2007, 11:04 PM
c.f.moore
Senior User
c.f.moore is starting off with a positive reputation.
1178# is that scaled weight or factory brochure weight. Then you have to add clothing, pots, pans, dishes, food, fishing gear (?), maybe some folding chairs, etc.

Check your door sill and see what your GVW is and weigh the truck, subtract scale weight from GVW. I think your going to be pushing your limit.

I would worry more about brakes and stopping the truck/camper combination than if the rear end will last. Handling maybe interesting as the Ford Ranger was never intended to haul campers. You may have axle bearing problems if you haul the camper everyday for several months.

Good luck

Old 08-06-2007, 09:45 AM
Dean88
Postmaster
Dean88 has a good reputation on FTE.Dean88 has a good reputation on FTE.
You can probably handle the weight of the camper just fine. I've seen people do much worse than that on a ranger (2 horse trailer with 2 horses in it).

Old 08-06-2007, 10:36 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.
Get the slide-in camper data sheet from Ford. It will detail loading and other facts. I had a 1988 Ranger and slide-in campers were approved by Ford back then. One thing you might want to add is a rear axle sway bar. It helped mine handle a lot better.

Jim

Old 08-06-2007, 04:20 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
rebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud of
If you have a 4.0L then the weight will not be a problem hauling it and your 8.8 rear end will handle the weight just fine. If you are running P235/75r15 tires or bigger, the tires will handle the weight okay too.

The thing you have to be really concerned with will be the FRONTAL AREA (square feet) and height over the cab and the side profile.

I would think at the worse, you keep it out of overdrive and if too tippy you add dual rear wheels by using adapters like JCW and people on E-BAY sell.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:15 PM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier
bigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputationbigrigfixer has a superb reputation
Maybe check your manual. My manual says a camper is not recommended.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:31 PM
smokestone52
Elder User
smokestone52 has a good reputation on FTE.smokestone52 has a good reputation on FTE.
Oranges to apples. but I had a 2002 ranger FX4 with 410 rear. I towed a 2900 lb camper, plus I had 700lb in the bed. Plus my wife, my golden, and my fat butt, in the cab.

It done Ok. But no speed limits broken. It was not fast, but doable!

I now have a F150 with a tuner and exhaust, and intake. I have a 5600 lb trailer now, and I still crawl at 25 mph in the mountians.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:20 PM
toymantacoma
New User
toymantacoma is starting off with a positive reputation.
Slide in camper for a Ford Ranger

I just drove 9000 miles in a 1996 Toyota Tacoma Ext. cab 2.7 liter with a
1095 pound dry weight camper on it. Wet the total weight of the truck and camper with me and my wife was just around the GVW of 4500#. We tried to carry minimal water in the 9 gallon tank and we also traveled extremely lightly. We kept as much weight in the truck cab as possible to minimize the load on the rear axle.

The truck had Toyo 4 ply tires set to 44# rear and 40# front. Ride Rite air bags set to 40#. New springs and shocks and a tranny cooler and Happi Jac tie downs. After the trip we removed the hydraulic jacks to further lower the weight. I realize that this requires a certain leap of faith in regards to the truck breaking down..........

The truck handled quite well with minimal roll when cornering. The braking was not as good as an empty truck however it was adequate. We encountered 3 hours of 40 knot cross winds in Canada that were not fun. However, I did not feel like the situation was out of control at any time.

I would think that any Ranger equipped with air bags and decent springs and shocks would do about as well as the Toyota with hauling a small slide in camper.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:33 PM
Torklift Sheryl
SPONSOR
Torklift Sheryl has a good reputation on FTE.Torklift Sheryl has a good reputation on FTE.Torklift Sheryl has a good reputation on FTE.
I wanted to add that the ride can be improved when towing or hauling with StableLoads.
They won't increase capacity, no aftermarket suspension upgrade will, but they will dramatically improve the handling, squat, and sway. Many people have used these prior to going to airbags.
Here're some in use reviews for truck campers over on RV.net

It has the flexibility to easily engage and disengage in seconds and you will experience significantly better driveablilty by beefing up the leaf spring system that already exists.

For more info- StableLoad
This is a great alternative to expensive airbags and other suspension upgrades.

Torklift International Towing, Suspension, Tie Downs, Steps
Call me direct: 1-800-246-8132
Visit our Blog: http://www.torklift.com/blog
Old 10-31-2013, 10:36 PM
Steina
CO River Rat
Steina is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Steina is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Hmmm..........wonder if Rachelle ever added that slide-in camper in the last 6 years?

Steve

Old 11-01-2013, 08:34 AM
Hank85713
Posting Guru
Hank85713 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Hank85713 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
a 4 dr extra cab sound more like a sport trac. You will have a lot of overhang if this is the standard short bed and it will impact front end loading making it hard to control I would think. A standard bed is only a little over 6ft and that is with a 2 dr CC. I would hazard a guess that you will need a bed extender, airbags at a minimum. my 94 has been loaded with cement pavers to the edges of the bed and it squatted a lot. It has also been used to pull a big bass boat a short distance handled all well but was not i its comfort zone.

How long is the truck bed vs the camper floor? What size and rating of tires are you running? need to give basic info before anyone can actually give advice. Sway bar should already be installed, but may need aftermarket bigger one, but not necessarily so. Front brakes may also require an upgrade as 60% of braking takes place there.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:10 AM
BPofMD
FTE MD Chapter Ldr
BPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputation
Opinions are like noses...MOST everyone has one!! Until you do what was said in POST # 2, it's all opinion.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:58 PM
Bigpipes 35
Postmaster
Bigpipes 35 has a spectacular reputation.Bigpipes 35 has a spectacular reputation.Bigpipes 35 has a spectacular reputation.Bigpipes 35 has a spectacular reputation.Bigpipes 35 has a spectacular reputation.Bigpipes 35 has a spectacular reputation.Bigpipes 35 has a spectacular reputation.Bigpipes 35 has a spectacular reputation.Bigpipes 35 has a spectacular reputation.Bigpipes 35 has a spectacular reputation.Bigpipes 35 has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by Steina View Post
Hmmm..........wonder if Rachelle ever added that slide-in camper in the last 6 years?

Steve
Ha I didn't even notice that, That's funny #### right there

Old 11-01-2013, 07:18 PM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
yup..an old thread but hey see if there are any changes.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:44 PM
r2millers
Postmaster
r2millers has a brilliant futurer2millers has a brilliant futurer2millers has a brilliant futurer2millers has a brilliant futurer2millers has a brilliant futurer2millers has a brilliant futurer2millers has a brilliant futurer2millers has a brilliant futurer2millers has a brilliant futurer2millers has a brilliant futurer2millers has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by senix View Post
yup..an old thread but hey see if there are any changes.
Not sure how I'd find a 6 yr old thread, even if I wanted to.
Must be instructions included.