1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Ford Ranger 4R44e trans shifting problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 03:48 PM
wheelchairdude49
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Ranger 4R44e trans shifting problems

2000 Ranger 4R44e transmission.Hard shift from 2-3 gear and when i run about 35-40 mph and brake then acelerate it downshifts hard . Anybody have an idea on whats wrong with it? Thanks

Old 08-06-2007, 08:09 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Is the tanny fluid level & fluid condition ok???? Has it ever had a complete fluid & filter change out????

If the tranny fluid & filter have never been changed, I might suspect varnish or sludge deposits.

Are you having any other problems, like the speed-o, ABS, or cruise control acting up????

If so, suspect the rear ABS speed sensor, as it's output is also used by the computer to decide when to tell the tranny to shift & those other systems also use the ABS sensors output, so if any of them are showing signs of acting out, I might suspect the ABS speed sensors ouput is corrupt.

Just some things to ponder.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:40 AM
wheelchairdude49
Junior User
2000 ranger shifting problems

it hasnt had a fluid change. no other problems with abs orspeedometer. theres only 49,000 total miles on the truck.

Last edited by wheelchairdude49; 08-06-2007 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:44 AM
pawpaw
BTW welcome to FTE

Well then how many miles on this puppy now???

Old 08-06-2007, 08:48 AM
wheelchairdude49
Junior User
49,000 original

Old 08-06-2007, 09:31 AM
pawpaw
OK, well your well past due for a scheduled filter & full fluid change out.

How is the tranny fluid condition & what is it's level now????

Old 08-06-2007, 09:35 AM
wheelchairdude49
Junior User
2000 ranger

its in good condition and level

Old 08-06-2007, 01:00 PM
pawpaw
OK, seeing as how your well past due for schduled tranny service & the fluid level is ok & you say the fluid condition seems ok, not burned or brown looking, or sludged up, I'd maybe consider a dose of Seafoam Trans Tune, at the perscribed treat rate (don't overfill the tanny), then drive 50-100 miles & see if you get a positive response.

It's a cleaner-upper that won't get after seals, gaskets, plastic, or metal parts.
You can check it out here, if you think it may be for you. http://www.seafoamsales.com/transTuneTech.htm

If so, I'd suspect sludge and or varnish deposits in the valve body, solenoids, ext, from running past due on tranny service.

You can do the filter change & fluid pump out your self, for about $60, & a afternoon having fun in the driveway!!!! lol

Or around here, you can have a Dealer or Tranny Shop do it for about $150, BUT I'd not opt for their solvent flush part of the service, as any crud it stirs up will first have to be strained through the tranny filter, before the tranny pumps it out. Not a good idea imo.

Anyway, look at this as past due scheduled tranny maintenance, which is what it really is. Maybe it'll work, maybe not.

I suppose you could pull, or have pulled, any existing tranny computer trouble codes & go from there.

Let us know what you do & find.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:41 PM
wheelchairdude49
Junior User

just found out from the dealer the clurches or bands are going. need a rebuild

Old 08-10-2007, 07:11 PM
pawpaw
Originally Posted by wheelchairdude49
just found out from the dealer the clurches or bands are going. need a rebuild
It's difficult for me to believe the bands or clutches are gone, with only 49K on it, unless you've run it low on fluid, or have been doing mile long burn-outs!!!!! lol

I'd still try the Trans Tune treatment for a hundred or so miles & see what happens, if it gets better, maybe drive until it stops acting out, or doesn't get any better, then do a filter change & complete tranny fluid change out.

If you don't want to try that, I'd at least get a second, or maybe a third opinion, before opting for a Dealer rebuild.

If you do go with the Dealer rebuild, have them put in writing what it'll cost & that the rebuild will fix your problem, BEFORE you let them tear into it.

Just some things to ponder.
Let us know how it goes.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:16 PM
cddz
Senior User
Sounds more like a valve body issue. by chance are you getting a pending p1744? The trans comp sence that as slippage and applies 30% more pressure to ensure engagement. I have the same problem, I found a reman valve body w/solenoids and all current TSB for $260 here in columbus ohio

Old 08-10-2007, 08:27 PM
wheelchairdude49
Junior User

-well i took it to a trans shop this week and had the fluid and filter changed. I did see metal. in the pan never drove it low on fluid never had to add any. Ive only put 18,00 in the 5 yeaqrs that ive owned it. no bur outs either lol. hard to do with hand controls on the truck. im 2 months out of warranty and called ford to see if they could help me. they said i had to take it to a ford dealer before they made their decision. hope they cover it.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:30 PM
wheelchairdude49
Junior User

getting no codes at all with it but did have the OD light come on and flash today. once i shut the engine off and started it back up the OD light stayed off

Old 08-11-2007, 09:05 AM
wheelchairdude49
Junior User
heres the symtoms up to date:
1. hard shift1-2 hard
2. slippage
3.OD light started to flash ( stopped flashing when i restarted the truck)
4. burnt fluid and metal in the pan

hey pawpaw! i can do a better burnout on my wheelchair!

Old 08-11-2007, 10:09 AM
pawpaw
Well burned fluid & metal in the pan isn't good news, the Dealer may be right!!!!

How much & what kind of metal???

Some dark colored clutch friction grit material in he bottom of the pan is normal, chunks of metal arent.

I'll ask again, what color was the fluid????
Was it thick & brown & smell burned????
Did it still have any red color????

Did they do a full tranny flush, to remove ALL the old fluid, or just a drop the pan, replace the filter & refill the pan, service????

If it was a complete fluid change out & it's doing better, maybe give it a while for the new fluids detergents to do their thing.

If it doesn't stop acting out, or they didn't do a complete fluid change out, maybe try the Seafoam Trans Tune & see if maybe it'll help tidy up deposits, like gum, varnish & sludge that may be sticking the solenoids up.

So maybe between the new fluid & a dose of Seafoam Trans Tune, you could clean things up enough, for it to last a little while longer, but from what you've posted, it's likely gonna need more in the long run, than a transfusion!!!!

Cddz may be right, it might have valve body gasket leak problems too, as they are commom on this tranny.

Did the tranny shop guys say anything about the valve body when they were servicing the filter????

Good luck with te warranty folks, cause they will likely want to see evidence of timely scheduled maintenance, sobe prepaired to present dated reciepts!!!!!!

I heard the wheel chair burn-out part. lol
You get into any of the chair racing events, or sports events????

Quick Reply: Ford Ranger 4R44e trans shifting problems