1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Re-birth of the Ford Ranger

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 08:48 AM
cju101
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re-birth of the Ford Ranger

I know it hasn't happened yet, but from browsing the internet it seems like next year will be the last year for the ford Ranger. Is their any indication that they will bring it back in the future? I'm in school and wont be able to buy my next vehicle for like 4 more years. a 1991 ranger was my first truck, I still have it, and I've fallen in love with them. I want to get one when I graduate. Its perfect for me...I love trucks, but don't need a full-size. I want to buy american, but dont like chevy or dodge. Anyone hear anything? I wouldn't mind them bring back the branco either. But then again their isn't a market for 2 door SUV's anymore.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:49 AM
Big John Hance
Senior User
I'd like to see the full size Bronco come back, but I doubt it will. I didn't know they were stopping production on the Ranger. It's a nice little truck, but I probably wouldn't buy another one. Next truck I buy will be at least an F-250.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:51 AM
soundwave
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I hate to add fuel to the rumor fire, but here goes:

A guy who works out at the same gym I do, who works at the Dearborn(MI.) HQ said there are NO plans to replace, or redsign the Ranger. It'll be discontinued following the 2008 model year. He said if there are plans to redesign or replace, Ford is keeping it top-secret, even within the company,for some unusual reason. Normally, Ford, he said, will have a concept car/truck in the wings ready to be introduced, but he has said there is nothing. The Sport Trac is also on it's way out . The division in which he works, deals with new and prototype cars and trucks. I asked if it was going to be replaced with that Brazilian or European model that make some of you salavate, and he said no.

He also commented that Ford will not be making any changes for th '08 Ranger. Meaning no cup holders in the door pockets, no available factory navigation system, no available "Sync" audio system, etc., etc...

Old 08-01-2007, 10:55 AM
cju101
New User
Unhappy

that really sucks. I'd only buy a compact truck since i dont need a full size, and all the other compacts are too expensive and look like crap. I guess Ill have to buy a wrangler.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:47 PM
customstringer
Elder User
The part about discontinuing after the 2008 version is clearly true, as Ford is closing the last plant, in Minnesota, where the Ranger is assembled. I bet the rumor is true also, no plans for a new small truck. It is a pure economic issue, with the shape Henry is in it is just not economically viable to continue to make the Ranger, not enough are sold. I couldn't see Ford allocating R/D time to a new small truck with all they have to do now to try to stay afloat. It is sad, but look at it this way, there will be plenty of them around when you want to get a decent used one. Then hold on to it and watch the values go up as they get more and more scarce.

At some point would I expect a small truck to reappear in the blue oval lineup? Yes maybe but it would be several years from now. There needs to be a demand and maybe right now there are just too many of us keeping the Rangers that we have already.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:00 PM
RhinoScores
Senior User
Now your getting to know some of the reasons why I'll never buy another new Ford product. The company has its heads up its tailpipe. I'll be going with a FOUR DOOR Toyota next.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:33 PM
freirefishing
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i just picked up my 06 ranger from the service dpt on monday(fixing a few small minor things), i ran into tom, the guy i bought my ranger from, i said ill c-ya when the four door rangers are coming out and he said he heard 3qtr in 08 for the 09's.....i was like cool c ya then

if no 4 dr available from ford for the ranger i cant see how they plan on anything for the future, you all thought it was a bad idea to get rid of the taurus for the 500 which was the biggest joke, what about no ranger

Old 08-01-2007, 01:51 PM
customstringer
Elder User
Certainly keeping any plans top secret is one way a manufacturer can access the demand as it spikes the curiosity and interest. They have people paid big bucks for product development and you are right, Henry has had a few boneheads working for him over the years in that area. Some big successes and some big failures.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:12 PM
ranger1999 Bob
Posting Guru
it would be a shame if they didnt keep the ranger it is by far the best truck ive ever owned. I dont need a full size for a daily driver and frankly im amazed about some of the decisions made by Ford lately. The taurus was another great car by the wayside i hope ford starts getting brighter ideas before the bulb goes out forever on the company

Old 08-01-2007, 05:10 PM
RhinoScores
Senior User
Rumor has it that Ford could have brought the 4-door version out anytime they wanted, since the 4-door is sold in Mexico. I guess they rather give away those sales. After the crappy revisions they did with the new explorer - let's hope they don't do anything with the Ranger.

Old 08-01-2007, 05:59 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by soundwave
I hate to add fuel to the rumor fire, but here goes:

A guy who works out at the same gym I do, who works at the Dearborn(MI.) HQ said there are NO plans to replace, or redsign the Ranger. It'll be discontinued following the 2008 model year. He said if there are plans to redesign or replace, Ford is keeping it top-secret, even within the company,for some unusual reason. Normally, Ford, he said, will have a concept car/truck in the wings ready to be introduced, but he has said there is nothing.
As I said before, if Ford were going to be bringing a "new " Ranger into the North America anytime soon, then I'm pretty sure we'd all know about it. IMO, there is no reason for Ford to keep a re-designed Ranger a secret, if there were one in the pipeline.

Personally, I still can't understand why the #1 pickup truck maker of all time has given up on the small-medium size market. Allowing the Ranger to die on the vine like Ford has is not only a shame, but economically short-sighted, as well. I know of several people who have migrated over to Chevy and Toyota trucks who probably would have chosen to wait for a "new" Ranger if Ford had committed to building one (or importing one).

If Ford believes that most Ranger fans will simply "step up" to an F-150 when there is no more Ranger, then the company still has fools running the show. As much as I like the new F-Series pickups, they do not suit me at all, and I know I speak for a lot of "small truck" owners when I say that.

Last edited by Rockledge; 08-01-2007 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:49 PM
fflintstone
Elder User
+1 Rockledge. But marketing is a funny, funky thing. Remember the AMC(Chrysler) Eagle? For months before they hit the showroom, they had a big marketing campaign of "The Eagle has Landed", surrounded by speculation. When they finally came out, they were the biggest disappointment in living memory. My father bought one and *****canned it 8 mo. after he bought it and got 2500 for a car he paid something like 20 thousand for. Not good for the AMC badge. The public opinion backlash would not have been so bad without the pre-release hoopla. Here's an article of interest about Fords 'Way Forward'.
http://media.ford.com/newsroom/release_display.cfm?release=23128

Loosing 25 000 to 30 000 jobs seems like a drop in the bucket with a population of some 300 million, unless of course you live in those cities, never mind the spin-offs. NAFTA kicking in to drive down the cost of North American labour. I guess those folks can go to pounding nails, cutting lawns or weaving baskets for a fraction of the wages and no benefits in the new service economy for the folks benefiting from the big corporate profits. My Home town of Windsor is losing the casting plant. Ford still needs the castings, but now they'll be made in Mexico so they can save 5-6% per unit(every little bit helps). Windsors lost several plants and spinoffs like stamping operations and such. Some sub assembly operations remained that the big three farmed out to years ago because they had low paid non union workers. Ironically, some are now unionized by the CAW, but at dramatically lower wages than the Big Three. Windsors 'hurting'!! The boys are making 1/3 less laying brick there and on a shorter season than here in the Toronto area(Toronto is an international business Meca these days-little manufacturing). Houses in Windsor are cheaper now, but all other expenses that matter to the working joe are the same and higher than they used to be. Income taxes are lower(which really matters when your low income earner) but consumer and property taxes are way up as well as user fees for just about any activity but sitting on your back porch watching the grass grow.

Sorry for politicizing the thread, but the Big Three are doing what they're doing for a simple reason, because they can and make more money. IMO, the Ranger will still be produced, just somewhere else. Sales are down 15% because they 'NEVER' promote the truck. Sales are through the roof on the f series because every other commercial I see is about Ford superduty "Ford Tough". IMO only, it takes as much of a concious effort to NOT promote a vehicle as it does to promote one. This 'crisis' that exists IMO has been generated to achieve the goal of gaining public support to close Twin Cities and others.

Fred

Last edited by fflintstone; 08-01-2007 at 06:52 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 08-01-2007, 07:04 PM
freirefishing
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the ranger doesnt need a revamp, the 4.o engine does. loose the 3.0, offer the 3.5,

PLUS THE 4 DOOR RANGER IN S. AMERICA, THE 4 DOOR VERSION IN EUROPE, THE 4 CYL DESIEL ENGINE IT ALSO AVAILABLE IN.

THE IS AN AMERICAN COMPANY AND AMERICANS NOT BEING ABLE TO HAVE THE OPTIONS IS A DAMM SHAME.

OUTSOURCE THE JOBS,CLOSE PLANTS, AND GIVE THE FOREIGNERS THE BETTER OPTIONS ON THE RANGER.......NICE GREAT MARKETING PLOY

Old 08-01-2007, 07:49 PM
rangerfan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Rockledge
If Ford believes that most Ranger fans will simply "step up" to an F-150 when there is no more Ranger, then the company still has fools running the show. As much as I like the new F-Series pickups, they do not suit me at all, and I know I speak for a lot of "small truck" owners when I say that.
Right on!!! I won't buy an F-150 for a few reasons. High (and ever getting higher) gas prices, to big for my needs, and they are over priced in my opinion to name a few. I use my truck for mulch in the warmer months, firewood in the colder months, and taking my tractor to my mom's to mow her yard on sunday's. That's it.

If the Ranger is gone; than my wife and I are done with Ford. Once I'm done with a product I mean I am done with it forever. No going back. Ever!

I hope that those nuckleheads who make the decision read some of these boards, but I doubt it. We are just pee-ons to them.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:33 PM
cju101
New User
I couldn't agree more with everthing that has been said. I dont need a truck for heavy work. I need something small that I can use as a daily driver. The ranger was perfect, because i could use it for small work jobs and to get me to my favorite fishing and hunting spots. Im not going to waste 20000+ on an F150, even if I love ford trucks. Im so dissapointed in the decisions truck manufactures are making these days....

Ford...Getting rid of the ranger =Big mistake
Ford... I love the older F150's. Is it me or are the modern f150's to bulky and boxy. The older ones were smaller, and I personally liked the way look better.
Dodge..I love the old dakotas, now they have too many curves and almost look girly. The old Ram's weren't bad eithier.
Toyota/Nissan....never ever ever
Chevy...hahaha

I can't even buy a decent compact pickup or 2 door SUV for under 20000 anymore.

Quick Reply: Re-birth of the Ford Ranger