2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Big bang and gears grind

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 05:02 PM
Baumbach
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big bang and gears grind

While driving about 5 to 10 mph take your foot off the gas and turn the ignition switch off to kill the engine and coast you hear a bag and gears grinding.

It is a 08 Limited 4x4, while in normal 2wd, cannot tell if it is the front hubs, starter, or trans. I went to the dealer today and took a 07 for a test drive and it does NOT do it.

I have not tested at higher speeds yet, I am afraid doing so will cause a lot of damage and or might lose control if a wheel should lock-up

Does your 07 or 08 do that same???

Old 07-30-2007, 07:58 PM
ExpyBob
Senior User
What was the reason why you would do this to begin with?

With do respect---Bob

Old 07-30-2007, 08:28 PM
CarbonClear
Senior User
Originally Posted by ExpyBob

With do respect---Bob
+1 My curiosity has the best of me

Old 07-30-2007, 09:13 PM
poppie
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

With do respect---Bob
read his other post's below,turn off the door chimer,rev limit 3000 RPM,100 MPH top's ,can't get to 125 MPH,just 2000 mile's on the truck,yea it will be in the shop for repair on ford's $$$$'s,08 limited 4X4= $50,000.00,guess i'm getting old,can't figure out why anyone would beat the hell out of a $50,000.00 truck.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:07 PM
Newton007
Senior User
Be Ready for anything

I don't know if my 07 Expedition does this or not, but I can think of no reason to do this to try to find out.
But I wil say that everyone should try at least once to (on a road with no traffic) to turn off the key (Not Lock position) while moving at about 20 mph just to see how your car handles with no power steering or power brakes. It can be a real shock for someone that has never had this happen to them before and then panics causing a wreck or worse.
I had my wife do this on our Bronco while making a turn and she freaked out not knowing really what to do other than stand on the brakes.
My uncle going from Springfield to Walsh Colorado during July of 1964 ran out of gas in his 59 Chevy causing a loss of power steering, power brakes and took out a bridge railing @ 65 mph. killing himself in the process. So It's a good thing to be ready and know what to do if this happens to you.

Last edited by Newton007; 07-30-2007 at 11:43 PM.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:20 AM
Baumbach
Junior User

With do respect---Bob
I am just getting to know my new Expedition, I want to know things like how the steering and brakes work without the engine running, there are many reasons it would be necessary you should turn off the engine, for example, just two months ago my 89 Bronco threw a belt while doing about 70 on the interstate, the next exit was less than 1 mile away, not wanting to have the thrown belt possibly do more damage and or sit in the hot Sun on the side of the road and not wanting to over-heat my engine I turned it off, put the trans in neutral and coasted to the auto parts store at the next exit. I replaced the belt and was back on the road in less than 30 minutes. Other than that lets say, you run out of gas, engine just dies, drop a driveshaft, cut the fuel off in case of engine fire, etc. I want to know how it’s going to handle ahead of time.

I personally think everyone should know what to expect from the steering and brakes without the engine running. In the case of the Bronco that I have had for 19 years I knew exactly what to expect, I knew ahead of time how hard to steering was going to be, and how the brakes would be, I knew the stooping distances. So there was no guessing if it was capable of making it to the next exit, and or if needed pull-over on the shoulder of the road.

p.s. back in March I was riding my Harley in the rain and the engine died, again I knew how to handle it.

Old 07-31-2007, 05:52 AM
Baumbach
Junior User
Originally Posted by poppie
read his other post's below,turn off the door chimer,rev limit 3000 RPM,100 MPH top's ,can't get to 125 MPH,just 2000 mile's on the truck,yea it will be in the shop for repair on ford's $$$$'s,08 limited 4X4= $50,000.00,guess i'm getting old,can't figure out why anyone would beat the hell out of a $50,000.00 truck.
I am by no means beating the hell out it, I plan to take good care of it, I hope to have it for many years, example, I did the first oil change at under 1k miles, I take good care of all my vehicles, 89 Bronco 200k+ 83 E350 also 200k+, etc. anyhow,

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

The 3000 Rev Limit test was done as recommended in the Viper 5900 Security with Remote Start system manual. The Viper system has an under-rev and over-rev protection feature for the remote start. Needless to say the installer must not have installed and or programmed it correctly because it did not kill the engine at 3k. I did not test the under-rev, but it’s going back to the dealer and I am going to see why this recommended safety feature is not working.

<o></o>

The 100mph was not done till 2k miles, the engine and all should be broken-in enough by now. I now know if I would ever ship it over to Germany I would get run over on the Autobahn. :-) LOL

<o></o>

What’s wrong with not wanting the door chime? One of the first things I did was hook and un-hook the seat belts about 9 times to permanently turn off the seat belt chime.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:03 AM
Newton007
Senior User
On the 70s Fords which I had several, plus two Lincolns Town cars one of the first things I did was pull the buzzer out from under the dash. With these newer cars I think it would be harder to do. Also the chime is not a annoying as the buzzers were. So it is not so bad.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:15 AM
Triboy
Junior User
Originally Posted by Baumbach
I did the first oil change at under 1k miles
I'm asking because I don't have the owners manual in front of me but I thought the oil they put in at the factory was a bit different to help with the break in of the engine and should be left in until the scheduled maintenance point (5k in this case for my 07) is hit. I didn't specifically read that on the Expy but with the last couple of cars/trucks I've had I know that was the factory recommendation.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:30 PM
SixPak
Junior User
Originally Posted by Triboy
I'm asking because I don't have the owners manual in front of me but I thought the oil they put in at the factory was a bit different to help with the break in of the engine and should be left in until the scheduled maintenance point (5k in this case for my 07) is hit. I didn't specifically read that on the Expy but with the last couple of cars/trucks I've had I know that was the factory recommendation.
I used to believe that until I realized that the people telling me that make a living selling parts and repairng engines, et.al.

FWIW, I changed the oil in my expy the same week I bought it. I think it had around 300 miles on it. I put full synthetic oil in it, not the blended stuff.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:03 PM
Newton007
Senior User
Sixpak
I have wondered too about leaving the original factory oil in for the first 5000 miles. Seems to me that there would be some normal break in material floating around in the oil no matter how good the oil filter was. If a person changed the oil before the 5000 mile mark, would it hurt anything? I have always ran Castrol synthetic in all my cars except this new 07 Expedition. How would they know other than using a (K and N) non Ford oil filter. Just wondering if it would void the warranty. Don't need that.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:24 AM
Baumbach
Junior User
Originally Posted by Newton007
Sixpak
I have wondered too about leaving the original factory oil in for the first 5000 miles. Seems to me that there would be some normal break in material floating around in the oil no matter how good the oil filter was. If a person changed the oil before the 5000 mile mark, would it hurt anything? I have always ran Castrol synthetic in all my cars except this new 07 Expedition. How would they know other than using a (K and N) non Ford oil filter. Just wondering if it would void the warranty. Don't need that.
The oil from the factory has a dye in it that only shows up while looking at it with a black-light, they do this so any leaks can easily be found. They say the dye will not hurt anything, but in any case I change my oil to full synthetic at 1k miles even though the warranty did not require it until 7.5k miles on my 08.

I agree with you about material floating around in the oil no matter how good the oil filter was.

Using a K and N oil filter will not void the warranty. You can use just about any name-brand filter on the market.

Today’s new engines do not need a break-in before switching to full synthetic oils. Mobile 1 site says the same thing at

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Synthetics/Myths.aspx

Changing the oil less than 5k miles will NOT void the warranty, as a matter of fact that would be a smart thing to do, as changing it over 5k miles could void the warranty. The manual says 6 months or 5k is the maximum on 07 models for normal use. And 7.5k and 6 months on 08 models. You could change it every day if you wanted and not void the warranty. If you change the oil and filter yourself keep a copy of the receipts and write down the date and millage, you will need them for any related warranty work..

To read more about the subject of oil, see the thread “Information center says "change oil soon"” at
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...-oil-soon.html

Old 08-07-2007, 05:57 PM
Newton007
Senior User
Thank you for the information. I think I will change the oil and filter at 1000 miles. Cheap insurance.

Originally Posted by Baumbach
The oil from the factory has a dye in it that only shows up while looking at it with a black-light, they do this so any leaks can easily be found. They say the dye will not hurt anything, but in any case I change my oil to full synthetic at 1k miles even though the warranty did not require it until 7.5k miles on my 08.

I agree with you about material floating around in the oil no matter how good the oil filter was.

Using a K and N oil filter will not void the warranty. You can use just about any name-brand filter on the market.

Today’s new engines do not need a break-in before switching to full synthetic oils. Mobile 1 site says the same thing at

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Synthetics/Myths.aspx

Changing the oil less than 5k miles will NOT void the warranty, as a matter of fact that would be a smart thing to do, as changing it over 5k miles could void the warranty. The manual says 6 months or 5k is the maximum on 07 models for normal use. And 7.5k and 6 months on 08 models. You could change it every day if you wanted and not void the warranty. If you change the oil and filter yourself keep a copy of the receipts and write down the date and millage, you will need them for any related warranty work..

To read more about the subject of oil, see the thread “Information center says "change oil soon"” at
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...-oil-soon.html