Sponsored by:

Burned DVD's wont play

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 07:35 AM
ajohansson
Cross-Country
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Burned DVD's wont play

I posted this in the AV section but got limited response and since this is on an Excursion I thought to put it here.

I have a 2003 Excursion with the factor DVD player. I am having trouble getting copied DVD's to play. I keep getting the "Bad Disk" message. I have tried both +R and -R formats and I am burning Maxell brand media with the "One Click" software. Has anybody else had this problem and if so have you found a solution? BTW the disks play on my wifes 2007 honda. Thanks.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:39 AM
vettdvr
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ajohansson
I posted this in the AV section but got limited response and since this is on an Excursion I thought to put it here.

I have a 2003 Excursion with the factor DVD player. I am having trouble getting copied DVD's to play. I keep getting the "Bad Disk" message. I have tried both +R and -R formats and I am burning Maxell brand media with the "One Click" software. Has anybody else had this problem and if so have you found a solution? BTW the disks play on my wifes 2007 honda. Thanks.
Try using a CD disc and not a DVD. Then use a Disc Copy command to copy a disc to see if you are successful. IF this works then you can "burn" a CD with your selected music. My guess is you are burning to a DVD disc not a CD. The DVD is incompatable in a CD machine.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:13 AM
XHunter
Elder User
a lot of times its the software you use to burn the dvd and the player. mine works in my aftermarket but I've never tried the factory unit. I have the video from the aftermarket going to the aux input of the factory unit and to the front unit

Old 07-30-2007, 03:41 PM
ppo2
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I won't be surprised about that. Seems like these players CD and DVDs don't like "burned" copies. I had tons of issues with my 6-CD player with copies of CDs until I started using the originals. Must be in cahoots (spelling??) with the software makers

Eventually I had a hard time ejecting the copied CDs too.

Drive Safe,

Dan

Old 07-30-2007, 05:08 PM
RubenG
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Mine wont play copies niether. What I do is either have my Xbox connected to the auxilary or a portable dvd player. On the Xbox I can play games, watch burned movies and also movies from the xbox Hard Drive. I think I read some where on this board that people put in aftermarket dvd players where the stock one is at.

As for the in dash cd changer. I play copies in it.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:28 PM
emptyd
Senior User
Sometimes, when burning the DVD (or CD) you have to choose to "finalize" the disk. Until then, the burn is only "half" done - easily recognized by the burning software, but not by standalone devices.

It may be as simple as an extra checkbox somewhere in the copy software that says something like "finalize", "close", "finish" the DVD burn.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:45 PM
afreemanmd
Elder User
Hey, have you tried burning the dvd at a slower speed? I know it sounds really stupid, but I have a DJ CD player that has problems if the CD's are burned at anything faster than 4X. So try burning one of the DVD's at the slowest (and therefore most accurate) setting.

Good luck!

Isaac

Old 08-03-2007, 05:58 AM
Downriver Thunder
Posting Guru
Do an internet search for the different formats. I did one once and there's a percentage of DVD blanks that will work with only some players. I think it's the -rw's that work in 95% of the players but it's been a while.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:59 AM
rograbbitt
New User
Try using Nero for your burning....Works for me

Old 08-03-2007, 07:17 PM
Brians97F250Crew
Elder User
could be that the unit just doesn't recognize the media. The -R type is the most compatible. Not sure what software you're using to "backup" your movies. Might try only coping the movie only and not all the menus and features. Sometimes older dvd players I've found don't like heavily compressed movies. Just some thoughts for ya

Old 08-09-2007, 11:55 PM
ajohansson
Cross-Country
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks for all your replies

Thanks for all of your help. To answer all of the questions, I have tried using both +R and -R media. Different brands of media. I have burned small videos that were not compressed at all. The videos play fine in my wifes new honda van and both dvd players in the house. I have come to the conclusion that the Factory DVD player is just too old to play burned disks. Thanks again

Old 12-01-2012, 07:00 PM
tryme77
New User
Hey there just new as of today...just hoped to shed light on the factory over head dvd system...ive tried different combinations over the past year but the last 3 days steady one after the other lol i explored every aspect
my truck is 2006 fx4 with rear entertainment option...the flawless combination for me is dvd-rws 4.7 gig that burn at a maximun 2X speed with those discs i used imgburn to bun them i think the key is thwy are dvd-rws (2X) hope that helps....finally i dont hear the kids saying dad the movie froze again!

Old 12-02-2012, 02:01 PM
ROBBINthaHOOD
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have had great success with clonedvd and also imgburn. As far as discs, taiyo-yuden is a good brand, i believe they are jvc and i get them from supermediastore.com. Had alot of failures with dics from walmart like memorex so if im strapped for just something to get ive had better luck with sony but i try to stick with the taiyo-yudens.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:27 AM
tryme77
New User
I definitely agree about brands Memorex is absolutely garbag.... but the key to my player is the fact that they are dvd-rw with the max speed of 2x no more than that.. I tried all kinds of discs formats...i just happen to find a maxell 2x and a sony 2x brand preference is anyone's discretion I just recommend trying specifically minus RW 2 x and see if theywork you wouldn't believe the frustrations that I'm over with lol