Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Oh ON, My Diesel Got Quiet

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 09:12 AM
Toy Toter
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh ON, My Diesel Got Quiet

I have been reading this forum for a while but only joined about a week ago. Got tired of grtting kicked off. I have a 2000 350SD 2wd DRW automatic that has 98K on it and is as far as I know, bone stock except I just had trans done. My worry is that my truck always ( owned last 2 years ) was louder. When I wasn't demanding a lot out of it I always had a nice diesel clatter pulling away from a stop sign etc. The oil, fuel & air is up to date and I do them myself. If a stranger took my truck, they wouldn't notice it but it got quiter and I'm worried. It may turn over a couple of extra times b/4 it starts but is not hard starting. It seems to have a rougher idle and once in a while I swear I can feel it miss under power. I also seem to be getting more smell from it if I am sitting still or in reverse. I'm not crazy, something has changed. It is not a everyday driver. I bought it to pull the camper. I want to pull in about 2 weeks and I want to solve this problem b/4 I do. Does anyone know what it may be b/4 I have to take it to the stealership. Thanks for your help and I do enjoy the forum.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:20 AM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It seems to have a rougher idle and once in a while I swear I can feel it miss under power
I would start with Ohm'ing out the harness under the valve cover.

I also seem to be getting more smell from it if I am sitting still or in reverse.
Possibly an exhaust or up-pipe leak. You should be able to hear a ticking sound.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:54 AM
John311t
Postmaster
You can check this stuff yourself, before taking it the dealer, because they are going to charge you a lot to fix those things. Check what Alan said. We can help ya out here.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:57 AM
Wheatina
Senior User
Different fuel, or additive?? I don't have experience with the low sulfur fuels, but maybe they run different. It know they aren't good for our 7.3s. Biodiesel and the additives like Diesel Kleen boost cetane continent, which results in your engine running quieter and exhaust will smell different, but won't cause missing. Just a thought...maybe you have different fuel than you use to use.

Old 07-28-2007, 10:01 AM
Toy Toter
New User
Thanks for the response, I'll check them when I get home from work, I'm hoping it is not injectors . No leaks anywhere. Thanks again

Old 07-28-2007, 10:03 AM
Toy Toter
New User
I use Diesel Kleen everytime I fuel. Have got fuel at a few different locations but it hasn't changed.