diesel rangers? - Page 4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

diesel rangers?

Old 10-11-2007, 01:58 PM
David85
Post Fiend
David85 has a good reputation on FTE.David85 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by captaingofast
An `87 diesel Ranger just sold on ebay for $4800. Here's the auction #:

I talked to a Ford engineer yesterday who works at the Oakville, Ontario plant. He says 2008 is definitely the end of the line for the Ranger. He has no idea why they're doing it either.

Maybe they want to bring the Edsel back and need the 'Ranger' name for that. Wouldn't surprise me.
Ford Ranger, the last of the compact pickups..........

I guess ford figures the fuel economy was too good. Chances are they are going to use the explorer sport track SUT to fill the gap in the market. good luck with that....

The ford dealer in town here is practically giving the rangers away at the moment, something like $99 monthly financing. Although the purchace price is still a ripoff, since this is canada, and prices have yet to compensate for the high dollar.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:57 PM
tempforce
Senior User
tempforce is starting off with a positive reputation.
i scrapped a '87' 2.3 turbo diesel ranger this past year. the 2.3 turbo is the one with a aluminum head. drive belts and a short life.

i currently own a '83' 2.2 diesel ford ranger with the perkins/mazda engine. 230,000 miles on it. i have a 2 tank fuel system, burning a 95% diesel mix in the small tank. and a 95% filtered waste cooking oil in the second tank. it has a heat exchanger to preheat the veg oil prior to the injection pump. 30,000 miles using veg oil. i average 30-38 mpg. depending on load and the right foot. my paperwook says it has 56 hp.
it has saved me hundreds of $$$ on fuel expenses.
fordtruck272: i used to have a 64 1/2 ton with that engine, with the police 312 cam...
it was a nice runner.
anyone have any questions, check out this site: http://north76.proboards11.com/index.cgi
we all have trucks with the mazda/perkins engines
or this site: http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/
cc

Old 10-16-2007, 11:29 PM
David85
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by tempforce
i scrapped a '87' 2.3 turbo diesel ranger this past year. the 2.3 turbo is the one with a aluminum head. drive belts and a short life.

i currently own a '83' 2.2 diesel ford ranger with the perkins/mazda engine. 230,000 miles on it. i have a 2 tank fuel system, burning a 95% diesel mix in the small tank. and a 95% filtered waste cooking oil in the second tank. it has a heat exchanger to preheat the veg oil prior to the injection pump. 30,000 miles using veg oil. i average 30-38 mpg. depending on load and the right foot. my paperwook says it has 56 hp.
it has saved me hundreds of $$$ on fuel expenses.
fordtruck272: i used to have a 64 1/2 ton with that engine, with the police 312 cam...
it was a nice runner.
anyone have any questions, check out this site: http://north76.proboards11.com/index.cgi
we all have trucks with the mazda/perkins engines
or this site: http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/
cc
Sounds pretty cool, but what do you have against the 2.3 turbo?

Old 10-17-2007, 12:16 AM
fordpickup292v8
New User
fordpickup292v8 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Smile

Hey TempForce, I recognize you from the Mazda diesel forum, My user name over there is RT707.

Old 10-18-2007, 04:42 PM
tempforce
Senior User
hi again, the 2.3 turbo diesel has a habit of over heating and if someone doesn't check or change out the drive belts, before they break. you end up with a truck with an engine worth 3-4 times what you paid for the truck. the '87' i bought to fix, the bare replacement head was over $850. and i couldn't find replacement rockers. the truck needed the front end rebuilt as well. so i cut my loses. i sold what i could of the engine parts, gave the other parts to my son, who's looking at a dodge d-50 with the same engine. the parts i figured i could use, i'm hanging onto.
the turbo is going onto my 2.2 engine, as soon as i get/build manifolds, etc.
jaybe over at the other forum and i are currently discussing the glow plug module.
i'm going to try building a replacement glow plug timing module.
for our trucks. when i get it working i will post over there.
cc

Old 10-18-2007, 05:21 PM
David85
Post Fiend
Yes, this is true...

The 2.3 also has a rubber timing belt instead of gears like in the perkins, if it breaks, it can take the head with it.

The engine I built had 3 broken compression rings (starter fluid no doubt), and a fried #1 conrod bearing from oil starvation. But the interesting thing is that when I examined all the rest of the engine, all the bearings were still like new, even at 260 000 Ks (except for the pitting that was caused by debris getting pumped through the oiling system). I was also supprised to find piston cooling jets in there too.

One neat thing that the aluminuim head allows however, is a very fast warmup time. In less than 5 minuites, warm air is comming in through the vents even when its 32F outside.

But the 2.3 was intedned for passenger cars, not commercial, or in some cases military duty, like the perkins. I think a 2.2 perkins probably has a lot of room to grow with a turbo on it.

Tracking down glow plugs was really difficult for the 2.3T, ended up cross refferencing a kubota tractor plug that worked very well.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:52 PM
99F150
Posting Guru
99F150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question on the engine used in the Ranger in 83 and 84. I thought that was a Mazda design and built engine, but you refer to it as a Perkins? I thought Perkins diesel engines were American used in ag equipment.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:22 PM
ridemypanhead
New User
ridemypanhead is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hello, Some were.Does anyone out there want an engine? I bought a MazdaB2200 for parts.I am converting my Ranger to a 5 speed.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:39 PM
07F1504x4
Senior User
07F1504x4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
What could be Fords reason for stopping the Rangers???? Are they going to come out with a better mid-size pick up?? or is ford just never going to have another mid-size?? the rangers blow the tacos and S10s out of the water...i dont understand it!

Old 10-19-2007, 12:39 AM
David85
Post Fiend
The bronco 2 was a nice little setup too, but was replaced with a larger, less durable vehicle. The S10 fell out of favor a long time ago, and thats why chevy brought out the avalanche to replace it. when it comes to trucks and SUVs, bigger seems to be better as far as marketing goes right now, and the ranger is just too small to be taken seriously but marketing gurus anymore.

Lately I have a hard time telling an explorer from an excursion form an expedition, there all HUGE. The escape is more car than truck, doesn't even have a real frame under it....

I suspect ford is counting on the explorer sport track to fill in for the ranger .

Old 10-19-2007, 02:00 AM
tempforce
Senior User
when i modified the 2nd oil filter, bypass filter ($18). to a franz filter(.35-70 cents). i needed a banjo type fitting. i found out that the threads were wentworth. so i had to reuse the original fitting. subsituting a brake line banjo fitting for the oil line, with new brass washers. go figure, the only wentworth threads on the engine was the oil line fitting. so mazda didn't change everything when they built it for ford. there is minor differences between the mazda engine and the built for ford engines.
starter, flywheel, motor mounts, oil pan, and assy drive equipment. like the mazda used an alternator with a tach electrical connection.
i wish ford would bring the crew cab diesel ranger to north america. they probably wouldn't be able to keep them on the lot's. the escape needs a frame under it, to be useful.

Old 10-19-2007, 02:23 AM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
Pablo-UA is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I don't know why ford does not make CNG ore LPG trucks. CNG is much cheapper

Old 10-19-2007, 06:54 AM
99F150
Posting Guru
99F150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by ridemypanhead
Hello, Some were.Does anyone out there want an engine? I bought a MazdaB2200 for parts.I am converting my Ranger to a 5 speed.
I assumume it is the diesel, what year and how many miles? is it complete? I would like to convert my 99 Ranger from the 2.5 four to diesel. I need enough power to pull my 3000# tent camper though.

Old 10-19-2007, 07:05 AM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
Pablo-UA is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Well, 2.5 TD by Peпeout fits ranger. Well known by ford transit vans.
+ Mazda E2200 2.2 TDI, Mitsubisi L200 2.3 TDI.....

Last edited by Pablo-UA; 10-19-2007 at 07:21 AM.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:18 PM
David85
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Pablo-UA
I don't know why ford does not make CNG ore LPG trucks. CNG is much cheapper
In canada it seems to be an option to order an LPG equipped truck from factory, but compared to the USA, LPG distribution is much better, nearly every second station has it. No idea what its like in the Ukraine.....

My F150 has burned it for most of its life now (converted after factory), and I love it, you should see the engine oil after 5000 miles, can't tell it wasn't put in 5 min ago!

Although max Hp will take a slight hit, responcivness off the line is better than ANY EFI out there.

Not a fan of CNG though, it has a big energy disadvantage to gasoline or propane, so you end up hauling a big heavy tank around for what is still a short range. And the power loss is big.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: diesel rangers?

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.