diesel rangers? - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

diesel rangers?

Old 08-15-2007, 02:07 AM
ChaseTruck754
Post Fiend
ChaseTruck754 has a great reputation on FTE.ChaseTruck754 has a great reputation on FTE.ChaseTruck754 has a great reputation on FTE.ChaseTruck754 has a great reputation on FTE.ChaseTruck754 has a great reputation on FTE.
no need for a conversion - don't even need the motor actually. Just need the title...

It's uh, a certain way around the smog ****'s here in CA...

Old 08-15-2007, 06:02 AM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
Pablo-UA is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I sow diesel Rangers.... With 2.2 Mazda E200 engine, 2.3 Mitsubishi L200 engine and Pegeout 2.5 Turbo (like Transit) engine. Having an experience of installing diesel engines to Aerostars, I can tell that Mercedes Sprinter Engine fits Ranger and VW LT 28-LT 35 engines fit Ranger too but with manual trannies only.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:02 AM
David85
Post Fiend
David85 has a good reputation on FTE.David85 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Pablo-UA
I sow diesel Rangers.... With 2.2 Mazda E200 engine, 2.3 Mitsubishi L200 engine and Pegeout 2.5 Turbo (like Transit) engine. Having an experience of installing diesel engines to Aerostars, I can tell that Mercedes Sprinter Engine fits Ranger and VW LT 28-LT 35 engines fit Ranger too but with manual trannies only.
2.5L??? I did hear once about a BMW diesel engine as well (was it 3.0?? can't remember), but the only ones that I can actually find are the 2.2 and 2.3 turbo. Do you have any links or info you can share? I bet a 2.5 would move the ranger quite nicely.

As for the air police, I think all you need to do is prove that the engine has a newer model year than the vehicle it is going into.

If you can fit a mercedes engine, that would be great, my personal favorite is the 300D (inline five cylinder), but in our case, the truck was 4wd, so we had to use the tranny that it had.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:29 AM
ChaseTruck754
Post Fiend
ChaseTruck754 has a great reputation on FTE.ChaseTruck754 has a great reputation on FTE.ChaseTruck754 has a great reputation on FTE.ChaseTruck754 has a great reputation on FTE.ChaseTruck754 has a great reputation on FTE.
[QUOTE=David85] As for the air police, I think all you need to do is prove that the engine has a newer model year than the vehicle it is going into.[QUOTE]

Not quite so here in CA. It is much more involved than they let you believe.
Been there done that when I put a supercharged 3.8L out of a 90's T-bird in the ranger. Never again will I deal with the "smog *****"

Ok - back on topic

Old 08-15-2007, 12:40 PM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
Just one Example!!!

http://www.ford.co.uk/opera9/ranger/...608_xl/-/-/-/-

Ranger from 12,372
4x4 key features include:
New powerful 2.5 litre Duratorq TDCi 105 kW (143 PS) diesel engine
15" steel wheels with 235/75 R15 tyres
Double-skinned steel pick-up box with 2-position drop-down tailgate
Pick-up box outer tie-down hooks and load rest
Electrically-operated door mirrors with black housings
Body colour front grille
Optional metallic paint
Optional air conditioning on the Super and Double Cab 4x4
Intergrated single CD/AM/FM/MP3 audio system with 2 speakers in the Regular and Super Cab, 4 speakers in the Double Cab 4x4

The next example:
http://www.ford.de/opera9/ranger/ran...rang11/-/-/-/-

Ranger is expencive in Europe, but they have ranger with crue cabine there.....

Old 08-15-2007, 12:48 PM
ChaseTruck754
Post Fiend
Those crew cab rangers are all over central and south america. I never understood why they didn't release them here in the US. Maybe it had to do with smog restrictions, or not enough of a market?

Old 08-15-2007, 01:45 PM
02Taco
Senior User
02Taco is starting off with a positive reputation.
They have modern turbo diesel engines for the Ranger (Tacoma/Hilux too) all over the world, but not in the US. I looked into doing a swap with a modern turbo diesel, but it can get expensive and dont want to jump through hoops for smog in CA . But from what i read somewhere, they didnt release them here because of strick emission laws on compact/midsize trucks..... But i would love to have a turbo diesel in my truck. I wouldnt have to think twice before i haul a trailor and you can boost the PSI

Old 08-15-2007, 03:01 PM
David85
Post Fiend
I've had this discussion several times on other threads, and in general, the EPA is the main reason why diesels are slow to catch on in the USA an canada. Public perception is also different in this part of the world as well, although many of us here would like to see more diesels on the road, the general inpression is still that diesels are slow, smelly and noisy. This is one reason why the EPA can get away with such strict requiements in this part of the world, the public seems to support it, in principal at least (and thats enough). In Europe on the other hand, there is a lot more tolerance for alternatives, if for no other reason, than higher fuel prices. Indeed, diesels are so popular everywhere else, that there would probably be a backlash if other regulators were to take steps as drastic as the EPA is known for.

Something that is catching on in the town that I live in, is importing vehicles from other markets like japan, where its nearly impossible get insurance for vehicles older than 15 years (wierd).

Anyway, there is actually a dealership in town that has all sorts of imports ranging from the nissan skyline (smi-supercar) to diesel toyota hilux crewcabs, all of which are right hand driver. Most of them are in mint condition, and I see more RHD vehicles everyday, must **** off the other dealerships to no end I'm sure!

So much for their claim that older vehicles will not sell, HA! TAKE THAT FORD MARKETING DEPARTMENT!!!

And apearently its all leagal where i live, so maybe it can catch on in other places.

I'll post back if I can find a website.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:12 PM
ChaseTruck754
Post Fiend
I'd LOVE for that to catch on here, but unfortunately I don't see it happening. DOT makes it damn near impossible to bring foreign cars in.

A skyline RHD would bring BIG $$ down here and I know quite a few guys wanting (some have tried unsuccessfuly) to bring in newer alfa romeo cars.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:17 PM
02Taco
Senior User
02Taco is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by David85
I've had this discussion several times on other threads, and in general, the EPA is the main reason why diesels are slow to catch on in the USA an canada. Public perception is also different in this part of the world as well, although many of us here would like to see more diesels on the road, the general inpression is still that diesels are slow, smelly and noisy. This is one reason why the EPA can get away with such strict requiements in this part of the world, the public seems to support it, in principal at least (and thats enough). In Europe on the other hand, there is a lot more tolerance for alternatives, if for no other reason, than higher fuel prices. Indeed, diesels are so popular everywhere else, that there would probably be a backlash if other regulators were to take steps as drastic as the EPA is known for.

Something that is catching on in the town that I live in, is importing vehicles from other markets like japan, where its nearly impossible get insurance for vehicles older than 15 years (wierd).

Anyway, there is actually a dealership in town that has all sorts of imports ranging from the nissan skyline (smi-supercar) to diesel toyota hilux crewcabs, all of which are right hand driver. Most of them are in mint condition, and I see more RHD vehicles everyday, must **** off the other dealerships to no end I'm sure!

So much for their claim that older vehicles will not sell, HA! TAKE THAT FORD MARKETING DEPARTMENT!!!

And apearently its all leagal where i live, so maybe it can catch on in other places.

I'll post back if I can find a website.

I would take a Diesel Hilux even if it was right hand drive, but it would have to be an automatic, cause there is something weird about shifting from your left hand

Old 08-15-2007, 09:38 PM
David85
Post Fiend
AARRRG!!! the server wouldn't let me back in.

OK, drove past the dealer today and read the web address.

tyeeimports.com

Spent some time on there, and there are a few diesel hilux pickups along with landcruisers with diesel that are over 4L displacement (turbo ofcourse), most in mint contition, and many with upgrades!

They can even import the vehicle of your choice, as long as its 15 years or older, and they can find it overseas.

Oh and want a nissan skyline? http://66.49.219.41/skyb.htm I'm suprised this thing is even legal! Others are selling for under 8 grand, not as decked out as this though.

The hilux seems to be the favorite, and for good reason, but they are a little more pricy, 15 grand seems to be the starting price, but most are like new.

They also seem to be working on supplying parts for the imported stock, I hope this idea of importing from other markets catches on, I for one am sick of the domestics selling us the same crap for decades.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:26 AM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
I used to drive Hilux and be sure, Ranger is much better...

Converting Ranger to diesel is expencive deal... About $2000 for used low milage engine + work. More then 200k miles for diesel is too many becouse it is time for nozzle replacment.... LPG ore CNG convertion is cheapper and lets to get better fuel economy and lower emissions. Not to decrease payload, I want to remove stock fuel tank, install smaller and install 2 LPG tanks under the frame.

Unfortunatly convertied to diesel Rangers have no Auto tranny, becouse I found A4LD bellhousing for Pegeout 2.5 turbo diesel onece only!!!! To get new is impossible, to find used is VERY difficult. MErcedes makes autos for their diesels, but oilpan of mercedes engine needs modification with welding and cutting and welding again with argone (it is made of alluminium), tranny is shorter so driveline is to be made new for mercedes tranny and as result people, who convert ford trucks to diesel use manual 5st ore 6st trannies....

Old 08-16-2007, 01:11 AM
David85
Post Fiend
We spent about 2 grand on our diesel conversion, but that included a rebuild for the engine.

Personally I wouldn't bother with CNG, since the BTUs are so low. You need a big, thick walled tank, and you won't get very far per fillup.

LPG, on the other hand is a GREAT fuel. My F150 has happily eaten propane for most if its life now. The BTUs are still lower than gasoline, but the higher octane and more complete burn mean that you can come very close to matching the performance before the conversion. 11:1 compression is possible with propane without fear of detonation, 10.5 is safer for a truck though.

The hilux and ranger both have their weaknesses, but if it came down to a head on collision between the two, the ranger would rip through the other like tin foil. To this day, I think the 1st generation ranger has one of the most over designed frames in its class.

But hey, the hilux is still avalable with a crew cab and a turbo diesel. I wonder if they will start to import rangers from down under .

Old 08-16-2007, 05:12 AM
Pablo-UA
Post Fiend
The quation is, that 4.0 and 2.9 engines are imported from Kohln (Cologne), but the plant where diesel engines for ford trucks and cars are made is in 350 miles far from Kohln. Diesel engine for Ranger is $100 more expencive then 4.0 SOHC. So why there is no diesel ranger in the USA?

Have U ever seen Ford Contur with diesel? It is called Mondeo in Europe! 2.0-2.5 TDI!

About crue cabine... Ford think, that Ranger with Crue cabine may dectrease interest of consumers to F-150.... May be they are right

Old 08-16-2007, 08:21 AM
99F150
Posting Guru
99F150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by David85
83-84 is the prekins 2.2L 59 Hp, 85-87 is the 2.3L mitsubishi 86 Hp, though both engines have a lot of room to grow in terms of power.

If you don't mind doing a conversion, then the dodge ram 50 was also offered with the 2.3L diesel in case one turnes up when rangers are scarce.
You have to be a little carefull here. One reason they only made 59HP and 86 HP new was they use an allumium head that is weak. Start making too much HP and it will break due to torque going through the roof.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: diesel rangers?

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.