I need to speed...do you know what I mean?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2001, 04:07 PM
beth
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to dump some cash into my truck to increase the performance for pulling about 6000 lbs. (horse trailer+2 horses).
Plus I just love speed and torque.

I just had a true dual exhaust system put on my 93 F150 with no headers (already been down that road with my old truck, it wasn't worth it). The exhaust system is two carsound cats, magna flow muffers, 2.5" pipe w/h-pipe.

My questions are: What computer chip/module is the best and why? Superchips?

What can I do to increase the performance with the way air is routed into the engine? I can't believe the long path
that air has to go through before it finally gets to the intake!

Thanks in advance.
Beth
P.S. My other "car" is a 91 corvette that I bought new and have modified the heck out of: 373 gear ratio,chip,exhaust,high pressure regulator,etc.

Old 01-18-2001, 02:20 AM
karljay
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we really need more info here. What engine, trans, rear end ratio...

Old 01-18-2001, 12:08 PM
beth
Freshman User

These are generic questions which are independant of engine size, trans and gear ratio (351,410 and trans I don't know but it's the trailer towing package)

I should have done a search on this questions first then I wouldn't have had to ask them in the first place. From what I've read the K&N FIPK replaces the stock air box and filter.

Questions about chips/modules I guess I need to go to the other forum.

Old 01-18-2001, 01:17 PM
mnm1997
Junior User

How about a Supercharger! 2 Grand or so, But adds about 40% more horsepower.

88 Bronco 351w, MSD6A, K/N, Headman Headers, 3 1/2 Flowmaster, 4in Lift, 33in CooperMT, ALWAYS LOOKING FOR MORE POWER

Old 01-19-2001, 09:14 AM
beth
Freshman User

Supercharger...!If I really want to speed I just get in my car. My corvette mechanic tried to talk me into a supercharger years ago. I have enough trouble keeping it under 100 mph as it is. There's so many nice open roads out here in the Arizona desert... too much temptation.

My truck is just an auxilary vehicle but I still want to get more optimal performance than it has now. Im sure the exhaust system, FIPK and the chip will do...for now.

Thanks, Beth

Old 01-20-2001, 01:02 PM
dinosaurfan
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Beth- how much can you spend here? I don't think I would look at chips, they have always seemed to be a ripoff to me. Ford and some others offer a piggyback computer setup that will let you program for yourself. You might also consider having Lentech or somebody beef up your trans so can get into OD while towing, this would make freeway driving more comfortable. How about a stroker to replace that 351? Extra grunt at low RPMs are always nice when towing. DF

Old 01-22-2001, 09:52 AM
beth
Freshman User

DF,

Will you elaborate a little more about why you think the computer chips are a rip off? My truck has the trailer towing package. I need to find out exactly what this means but I was assuming that that meant it had the heavy duty transmission.

What is a stroker?

How much money to do have to spend...lets put it this way, I'd rather have my vehicle's in good shape than pay to have someone clean my house!

Thanks for the input,
Beth

Old 01-22-2001, 06:35 PM
mnm1997
Junior User

Well a stroker kit will make your 351 a 363 or higher depending what you want to do. New crank, rods, pistons Exc.... You probably don't want that. Sorry buddy From all the research I have done you won't really feel much of a difference. Go with the K/N. Sorry but If you NEED SPEED you got to SPEND.

88 Bronco 351w, MSD6A, K/N, Headman Headers, 3 1/2 Flowmaster, 4in Lift, 33in CooperMT, ALWAYS LOOKING FOR MORE POWER

Old 01-24-2001, 08:37 PM
jeff967
Junior User

Spend your money on a better set of heads. Aftermarket heads will make a big difference. I think a set of world products heads are about $800 from Summit. For more hp change the intake and throttle body. You can also upgrade to a roller cam.

As far as changing your computer chip, on turbo buicks they increased boost and timing, thus increasing hp. Will they help your truck, don't know??

Old 01-25-2001, 04:56 PM
dinosaurfan
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Beth- I've never been a big fan of chips because they don't seem to do much. They make some wild claims in their advertizements, but the tests of them I have read show minimal or no improvement. If your engine is largely the way Ford made it, the factory programming is already optimizes. New programming is not helpful unless you have done major stuff like stroked it or changed cams or heads. The ford computer is reprogrmable thru a port in the side. If your engine is modified enough to need it, you might well need bigger injectors as well, the stock ones are flowing close to their limit in factory trim. Crane and Ford both sell piggyback computer hardware to help with the programming.
As for strokers, your 351 has a stroke of 3.5 inches, if you were to replace the crank/rods/pistons with a set that had longer stroke, like 3.850, you will get a noticeable increase in torque. If you then reprogram to take advantage of the added displacement, your truck is going to be faster than the Vette. Stroker kits and complete engines are available from ford and others. After driving a truck with a 352 and then with a 390, I can assure you the extra stroke is the way to go. DF

Old 01-26-2001, 09:15 AM
beth
Freshman User

DF,

Thanks for the detailed reply. Well maybe I just wasted my money because I just ordered the Superchip from Ken. I'll also be picking up a K&N FIPK today and installing it tonight afterwork. The new chip is also suppose to eliminate the top end limiter, but I'll have to ask Danny to make sure that's what I'm getting.

I'm not looking for extreme increases in hp and torque, just want it to run a little more efficiently. I only put about 5000 miles a year on my truck. This wasn't my truck of choice, I got it by default in a breakup a couple of years ago. It just really doesn't have what I need to pull a 4500 lb. horse trailer and 2000 lbs of horses. It seems like I never have enough truck for what I need. When I buy a new truck it will be the biggest and most powerful that you can get.

When I have the motor rebuilt on my car I'll want to go to the extreme (why not!). I've put 152k miles on it since I bought it new in 91. I'm not one of these Vette owners that keeps it in the garage. Don't buy a used car from me, those are WFO miles!

Beth

Old 01-29-2001, 07:37 AM
lanero
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post