Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Installed Bosch 044 Fuel Pump & Larger Fuel Lines

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 10:44 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Installed Bosch 044 Fuel Pump & Larger Fuel Lines

This past weekend I went to work on my fuel supply system from tank to pump. We installed an ITP 5/8" pickup tube in the tank, ran 5/8" line from the tank to the pump, and 1/2" line out of the pump to the engine. I also added an Aeromotive 10 micron in-line fuel filter after the pump. Push-Lok hose and fittings (all -AN fittings) were used throughout.

Install was pretty simple really. Dropping the tank was probably the toughest part. I also had to notch one of the under bed support rails to clear the new pickup tube. The fuel pump fits in the stock bracket perfectly, so no troubles there. I did have to solder on a larger electrical connector for the positive side of the pump, as the stock one was too small to fit over the post.

Impressions so far are good. The SOTP feel is about the same, but I wasn't expecting much of an increase, as this is more of a planning for the future mod to eventually feed bigger injectors. I did notice one thing though. I have a boost reference on my fuel pressure regulator (fuel pressure raises 1 psi for every 1 psi of boost), and with the stock setup it would not push over 72 psi, no matter what the boost was - and it was jumpy at that. With the new setup, fuel pressure smoothly pushes 85+ psi with no problems once the boost hits. This is from a base pressure of 64 psi at no boost. Also, I was afraid this pump may be louder than stock, but I think it may be a little quiter actually - even with the foam insulation around the pump being gone.

Here is a link to the webshots album of the completed install. Click on the thumbnail to open the gallery.

Last edited by jtharvey; 07-23-2007 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:48 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Thats a nice mod. It's not a flashy thing to do, but it pays dividends. Nice job.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:49 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
great work. That is some nice clean looking stuff. I especially like the 180* fittings, cool touch. I may have to do the tank pickup, and the larger line ( im running 3/8) if i ever need more fuel. I do not currently have my boost reference hooked up, but when it was i could see 90psi easily when the pressure was set at 65psi.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:17 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
The 180* fittings were what I figured would work best in that application. At $20 per fitting, they're not cheap. I am looking for good fuel flow though and a couple of 90* elbows from the hardware store, while will function, just wouldn't have fit in with the rest of the system.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:38 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 789 Likes on 601 Posts
This is a GREAT testimony to the fact that you have to have a good foundation to make good power.
You can have the hottest DP tune there is but without the stuff in the background it won't make much difference. Good fuel supply, clean oil, no boost leaks, not exhaust leaks, everything must be in good order for the best results.
I drive my truck around now with just a stock tune and really don't feel a need for more as it has plenty of power to get the job done, even when pulling the trailer.
Thanks for this post Jeremy. Hopefully it will drive the point home for everyone who is thinking that little black exhaust stain is not really much to bother with, or that the fuel pressure "just can't" make that much of a difference.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:39 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks good JT. Do you think the Bosch will work with OEM pick-up or would it be to restrictive for the pump?

Old 07-24-2007, 09:39 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Alan, I think it would work just fine with the stock pickup tube. It would obviously be working harder than mine, but I think it will work. You'll need to get some different fittings for the inlet and outlet of the fuel pump though, as they are going to be bigger. The fittings in the pump are metric fittings, M18x1.5 inlet, M12x1.5 outlet. The inlet uses an o-ring, and I used the copper crush washers on the outlet.

Here's were I got my pump, quick shipping and great communication:
http://www.jayracing.com/index.php?m...&products_id=1

I will say to stay away from here: http://www.expressfuelpumps.com/bosc...ne-p-3805.html When I was reasearching where to buy my pump, I found a lot of negative feedback about this company. They were slow to ship, had poor customer service, and wouldn't respond to request for refunds after no fuel pump was received. These were all regarding the 044 pump specifically as well.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:12 AM
strokin_early_99
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you get the 5/8" feed kit from ITP? Where did you get the bowl delete stuff or is it homemade? Did you replace the factory fuel pump with the bosch? How was the electrical connection? I am looking at the same type of system for my truck. I need to feed my new BD code sticks.

Thanks,
Keep Strokin'

Last edited by strokin_early_99; 07-25-2007 at 01:37 AM. Reason: wanted more info after I thought about it more
Old 07-25-2007, 10:16 AM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Yes, from ITP. "We installed an ITP 5/8" pickup tube in the tank," - from the first post. The fuel bowl delete is all stuff I put together myself. The Y-block is an Earl's piece, from Summit.

The Bosch pump replaced the stock pump. "I did have to solder on a larger electrical connector for the positive side of the pump, as the stock one was too small to fit over the post." - also from the first post. Otherwise, it used the stock wires and stock negative terminal connector.

I'm pretty sure this setup would feed some BD's without any problems. The specs on the Bosch 044 Pump are nearly identical to Aeromotive's A1000 pump.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:09 PM
workedover
New User
I have order'd stuff from them...and never had a issue. Can you tell me more about the FPR and the setup of that?

Old 08-10-2007, 03:00 AM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
I run an Aeromotive external regulator on my system. The stock stuff is completely gone. Fuel comes out of the Y-block, one line feeding the back of each head, then a line out of the front of the heads to the regulator. If you look at my webshots, I've got a gallery of my externally regulated setup - click on the "My Pics" link in my sig. I made my own, but I've looked at ITP's new externally regulated system and it's a nice setup.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:36 AM
rad1026
Elder User
Nice Job!! The more I do and the more I read, I'm really planning my next steps along with you and Dan. Steady fuel feed is definitely in my future. Thanks for the pics.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:34 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 789 Likes on 601 Posts
You'll never notice a difference until you really have to work the engine.
For me, it was when towing up a mountain pass and watching the boost skyrocket and the EGT climb up to the red zone and only using a Tow/Haul mode tune. I had to reprogram back to stock just to keep it under control.
PLENTY of fuel being fed to the injectors.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:15 PM
workedover
New User
Did you say this is a returned system?

Old 08-12-2007, 10:25 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Jeremy does have a regulated return system.

Quick Reply: Installed Bosch 044 Fuel Pump & Larger Fuel Lines