Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N cold air intake?

Old 07-23-2007, 07:07 AM
Big Swole
Senior User
Big Swole is starting off with a positive reputation.
K&N cold air intake?

I was thinking about putting in a K&N performance intake. Would this really make a difference in the way my diesel performs. I had a 93 F250 non-turbo and did just the air filter and noticed no difference. I also like to play in the mud would this be a bad move? Open to all suggestions.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:39 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Izzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud ofIzzy351 has much to be proud of
Don't bother with the K&N. It's trouble on our DIT PSDs. Some folks run it, but a lot of people have problems with it letting a lot of dirt through. This is with either the drop-in or cone style filter. I run an open element 6637 filter, but I think you would benefit from the Ford AIS -- it's a much better filter than stock, doesn't leak, flows more, and won't get mudded up under the hood. You can see it here:
http://www.blackclouddiesel.com/Ford/intakes.htm#AIS

As far as the cold air part, it will be pulling in from the front anyway -- the Zoodad mod may help. But I would think attaching it to the fender might cause you to get too much mud/water in the filter. I have no experience with that, so maybe someone else with it will chime in.

Joe

Old 07-23-2007, 08:26 AM
jeffthralls
Senior User
jeffthralls is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had the k&n kit on my truck when I bought it and after three months replaced it with the 6637 filter. The k&n definately dusted the inside of the intake tube while it was on there so I can only imagine what was getting through it. The 6637 has not dusted my intake tube at all in the same three month span, driving on dusty country roads. just for comparison, I cleaned the intake tube after I first got on this forum, so I know it wasn't an accumulation from before. I am not a rookie to k&n's, as I have had them on my 5.0 mustangs and other pick- ups that I have had in the past. On the intake tubes of the mustangs, I never noticed the dusting effect as on the diesel. the diesel is pulling so many more cfm though. Go with the 6637 mod and you will definately like it (it's cheap to do as well).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.