6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

synthetic oils

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 08:59 PM
rednek01
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amsoil sells a 5w40 euro oil (afl) which is not cj4 oil, but they have a 5w40 premium diesel oil (deo) which is cj4 oil. on their site looking up 5w40 (deo) product it says on front of bottle api cj4 and is also a 100% synthetic oil. if it was not really a cj4 oil and people had warranty problems amsoil would have alot of lawsuits for false advertising if ford said they would not warranty the engine.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:23 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rednek01
amsoil sells a 5w40 euro oil (afl) which is not cj4 oil, but they have a 5w40 premium diesel oil (deo) which is cj4 oil. on their site looking up 5w40 (deo) product it says on front of bottle api cj4 and is also a 100% synthetic oil. if it was not really a cj4 oil and people had warranty problems amsoil would have alot of lawsuits for false advertising if ford said they would not warranty the engine.
Unfortunately Amsoil is using "Slick" marketing and weasel words to imply it is "API Certified". They specifically say "Recommended for". If you look on the API website which is updated daily, you will see the oils that Amsoil has that are truely "API Certified". The only diesel oil Amsoil has that is API Certified is
"PCO 15W-40" which is a semi-synthetic and is API CI-4+ Certified. In fact Amsoil only has 5 motor oils that are "API Certified".
http://eolcs.api.org/DisplayLicenseI...LicenseNo=0995

If you look at the Amsoil website at "PCO 15W-40" you will see the "API Service Symbol (know as the "Donut")" on the front of the bottle. You will not find this on any other Amsoil Diesel motor oil because no other Amsoil motor oils are API Certified for diesel engines.

If an oil is "API Certified" it must carry the "API Certification Mark (known as the "Starburst") and the API Service Symbol (known as the "Donut")". If an oil is Not API Certified it cannot carry these marks on the bottle.
http://new.api.org/certifications/en...lGuide2006.pdf

You cannot sue Amsoil for false advertising claiming that any other Amsoil diesel motor oil was API Certified because No other Amsoil Diesel motor oil contains the API "Starburst or Donut" logo on the bottle.

Read the Amsoil wording very carefully and read the API Requirements of using the "Starburst or Donut" symbols. Amsoils marketing department like to emply that most of their products "meet" API Certification when in fact the oil has not been "API Certified".

Hope this helps clear up some of the "marketing mysteries" by Amsoil.

Old 11-02-2007, 05:07 PM
mervyn jennett
New User
hope i don,t offend any body on oil clasification but amsoil is the only one that i now of that produces an api rated 5w-40 100% synthetic oil for ford 6.4 diesel powerstroke diesel

Old 11-02-2007, 05:11 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Originally Posted by mervyn jennett
hope i don,t offend any body on oil clasification but amsoil is the only one that i now of that produces an api rated 5w-40 100% synthetic oil for ford 6.4 diesel powerstroke diesel
Ah nope, you may want to read this thread and the others along with the links and Factual Data posted.

Amsoil ONLY MAKES 1 API DIESEL CERTIFIED OIL, and that is PCO 15W-40 Semi-synthetic and it is API CI-4+ certified and licenesed.

This is Amsoil crap is getting really old! Please Read the posted facts before you post false & mis-information.

There have been at least three threads on this in the last week.

Last edited by blackhat620; 11-02-2007 at 05:14 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:23 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Old 11-02-2007, 05:33 PM
mervyn jennett
New User
sorry on the amsoil i just posted but that information about cj-4 comes from the plastic bottle that i used for my 6.4 powerstroke diesel. they cannot put cj-4 on the bottle if it is not true

Old 11-02-2007, 05:42 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
sorry on the amsoil i just posted but that information about cj-4 comes from the plastic bottle that i used for my 6.4 powerstroke diesel. they cannot put cj-4 on the bottle if it is not true
They can when it is not the correct API "Donut & Starburst" symbol. To be API Certified & Licensed, the bottle must be marked with the API "Donut & Starburst".
http://new.api.org/aboutoilgas/motor...lity-marks.cfm

Look closely at your bottle it Will NOT have the approved API "Donut & Starburst".

Also follow the API links i posted. It will show you what API Certified & Licensed oils Amsoil has.

Notice the difference in the Certified PCO bottle (API Donut) and the DEO Non API certified bottle.
www.amsoil.com/storefront/pco.aspx
www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/deo.aspx

More of Amsoil deceptive advertising and scam marketing. They are using weasel words like "recommended". Please read closely you are being scammed by Amsoil.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:08 PM
billotto1970
New User
FYI... I had my first oil change two days ago. 6300 miles. the oil change shop did a great job, except they didn't use a cj-4 oil. my new 6.4 went into regen one mile after the oil change and never came out. 4 hours later, I had to go to the ford dealer and they told me what was wrong. the truck has sensors and will not run unless it is cj-4 oil. they drained out the bad oil, and refilled with good oil. after an hour of running the truck finally stopped the regen process and all is good...

Old 11-04-2007, 02:51 PM
mervyn jennett
New User
amsoil 5w-40 premium diesel oil does have api cj-4 printed on the front of the qrt. bottle. however some people have a hard time reading now days. also they are still making glasses for those who need them. the qrt. shown was 15w-40 not 5w-40 hope this cleares up the grey area.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:44 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
amsoil 5w-40 premium diesel oil does have api cj-4 printed on the front of the qrt. bottle. however some people have a hard time reading now days. also they are still making glasses for those who need them. the qrt. shown was 15w-40 not 5w-40 hope this cleares up the grey area.
It is obvious that you are having trouble reading and comprehending the data and information presented on the API website in the previous posts and links.. For and oil to be "API CERTIFIED & LICENSED" it MUST carry the API DONUT and/or STARBURST symbol in a very specific manner. In addition the API "Certified & Licensed" oil will be listed under the API "Licensee Directiry" (ie Amsoil) on the API website. Please read the information on the API website that the links that have previously been posted lead to.

"1.2.2 API issues a license to an oil marketer after the marketer confirms it has met all the requirements spelled out in this publication and the EOLCS Application Package. The marketer must execute the API Licensing Agreement as a condition of licensure.

1.2.4 API licenses two types of Marks: the API Service Symbol and the API Certification Mark. The Service Symbol denotes a licensed oil’s performance properties through the use of the API Service Categories and, if applicable, the Energy Conserving and CI-4 PLUS designations; the API Certification Mark identifies oils meeting International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC) minimum performance standards. The API Certification Mark does not change. Annual licenses for the API Certification Mark are issued only for engine oils that meet the current ILSAC performance requirements specified in Appendix Q.

2.1.1 API licenses two types of Marks: the API Certification Mark “Starburst” and the API Service Symbol “Donut.” Certain oils may meet the technical and licensing requirements of both (a) the API Certification Mark, and (b) API Service Category SM and Energy Conserving (as defined in 2.3.2.5.2). If properly licensed, these engine oils may be labeled with either or both API Marks. Examples of these two types of Marks are shown in Figures 1 and 2.

2.2.1 Each API Certification Mark is designed for the identification of engine oils recommended for a general application (for example, gasoline, fuel-flexible, light-duty diesel). The API Certification Mark may be licensed only if an oil satisfies the requirements of the most recent and applicable ILSAC minimum performance standards specified in Appendix Q. The API Certification Mark remains the same for a given application even if a new minimum engine oil performance standard is developed for the application (see Appendix C).

2.3.1 General
Service Categories are used in the upper portion of the API Service Symbol to identify specific engine oil performance levels. The API Service Symbol may be licensed for use with passenger car motor oils, diesel engine oils, or both as long as the oils meet the performance requirements of an appropriate API Service Category or Categories.

4.1.1 Two types of Marks are licensed by API: the API Certification Mark “Starburst” and the API Service Symbol “Donut.” The marketer may display an API Mark, as described in this section, only after obtaining a license to use the specific API Mark.

4.1.3 Both the API Certification Mark and the API Service Symbol may be used if the marketer meets all licensing requirements for both API Marks for that viscosity grade of engine oil. Note that a difference in viscosity grade, Service Category, or brand name denotes a separate engine oil. The API Marks shall be located and displayed as described in 4.2 and 4.3.

4.2.1 If the API Certification Mark is used, it shall be clearly displayed on the front of the container of those engine oils that have been properly licensed by API.

4.2.2 The outside diameter of the API Certification Mark “Starburst” (measured from the outside tips) shall be at least 2.1 centimeters and shall be 1.5 (±0.1) times the inside diameter. The background of the outer band (containing the words AMERICAN PETROLEUM INSTITUTE and CERTIFIED) shall be a color that contrasts with the label background.
The background of the inner circle shall be a color that contrasts with the outer band. The words AMERICAN PETROLEUM INSTITUTE and CERTIFIED in the outer band of the API Certification Mark and the words FOR GASOLINE ENGINES in the center shall be all capital letters. The relationship of the letter size to the allocated space within the API Certification Mark must be consistent for all users of the API Certification Mark. All lettering used for words in the API Certification Mark must be identical for all licensees.

4.3.1 The API Service Symbol “Donut” may be located anywhere on the outside of the container. The outside diameter of the API Service Symbol shall be 1.9 times the inside diameter. The Service Category is located in the upper part of the Donut, the SAE viscosity grade is in the center, and the optional Energy Conserving notation is in the lower part. The API Service Symbol shall be large enough for the lettering to be legible and shall strictly conform to the design (including the required information and its placement) shown in Figure 5.

4.3.2 Use of the API Service Symbol is restricted to current API Service Categories [namely, SM, SL, SJ, SH (when used as described in 4.3.3), CF, CF-2, CF-4, CG-4, CH-4, CI-4, and CJ-4 beginning October 15, 2006]. Except as prohibited in 4.3.3, these may appear alone or in combination with other current Service Categories. The API Service Categories must appear in the upper part of the API Service Symbol, but such placement does not preclude their use elsewhere on the container. Use of API Service Categories SA, SB, SC, SD, SE, SF, SG, CA, CB, CC, CD, CD-II, or CE within the API Service Symbol is prohibited (see Appendix A).

4.3.3 Use of more than one API S Service Category in the API Service Symbol is prohibited. Service Category SH cannot be used in the API Service Symbol unless preceded by CF and/or CF-2 and/or CF-4 and/or CG-4 and/or CH-4 and/or CI-4 and/or CJ-4 beginning October 15, 2006.

5.2.1.2 Improper Use of API Marks
If licensed or unlicensed oils display an improper label or unauthorized labeling data, API will require the marketer to cease and desist from committing the violation and will request verification that the violation has been corrected.

API Certification Mark: An API Mark that remains the same for a given application (for example, gasoline, fuel-flexible, light-duty diesel) even if a new minimum engine oil standard or standards are developed.

API Mark: A mark licensed by API and used by oil marketers in connection with engine oil products to certify conformance with quality standards established under the API EOLCS.

API Service Symbol: An API Mark that identifies specific engine oil performance levels by means of alphanumeric Service Categories, SAE viscosity grades, and the Energy Conserving designation as appropriate.

Engine Oil Licensing and Certification System (EOLCS): An administrative process and legally enforceable system by which API authorizes marketers of engine oil to display an API Mark or Marks on oils that meet specified industry standards, as prescribed in a formal licensing agreement.
engine test: (also called engine sequence test or sequence test) A test of an oil’s performance using a full-scale engine operating under laboratory conditions.

API License Agreement requires licensees to comply with all requirements specified in API 1509 and the Application for Licensure."
http://new.api.org/certifications/en...tion042007.pdf

Old 11-04-2007, 05:51 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
The previous posted links to the Amsoil 15W-40 PCO API CI-4+ "Certified & Licensed" engine oil clearly show the appropriate API Donut symbol on the bottle.
www.amsoil.com/storefront/pco.aspx

The previous posted link to the Amsoil 5W-40 DEO NON API "Certified & Licensed" oil clearly shows that the bottle does NOT contain the API Donut symbol as required by API, because the 5W-40 DEO is NOT an API "Certified & Licensed" oil.
www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/deo.aspx

Old 11-04-2007, 07:30 PM
mervyn jennett
New User
my 3 , ford f350 diesels run better on 5w-40 amsoil than they ever did on mobile 1 also get better fuel milage & they start better & i get the benifit of extended drain intervils. these trucks pull some heavy loads at times so i choose amsoil because they stand behind what they sell. trucks will have over 40,000 miles as of nov. 3/07

Old 11-04-2007, 09:16 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
my 3 , ford f350 diesels run better on 5w-40 amsoil than they ever did on mobile 1 also get better fuel milage & they start better & i get the benifit of extended drain intervils. these trucks pull some heavy loads at times so i choose amsoil because they stand behind what they sell. trucks will have over 40,000 miles as of nov. 3/07
Glad you are happy running an oil that is Not API "Certified & Licensed" in your 6.4. FMC requires an API CJ-4 "Certified & Licensed" oil per your owners manual. Running an oil that is Not API CJ-4 "Certified & Licensed" may lead to premature poisoning & failure of the EGR Oxidation Catalyst, DPF, EGR coolers and EGR valve. It is your nickel so run what makes you happy.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:17 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
FOR those 6.4 owners looking for an API CJ-4 "Certified & Licensed" synthetic motor oil. Currently there are only two synthetic API CJ-4 "Certified & Licensed" motor oils available in North America.

Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub..._ESP_5W-40.asp

Petro-Canada Duron-E Synthetic 10W-40
www.petro-canada.ca/pdfs/IM8028e.pdf

http://eolcs.api.org/FindBrandByServ...eCategory=CJ-4

To confirm you are purchasing a motor oil that is API "Certified & Licensed" make sure the bottle has the API "Donut and/or Starburst" symbol properly displayed.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:46 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 409 Likes on 271 Posts
I hate to say this mervyn, but you are either not real, or you are a dealer, or you are quite naive. You pick. Your trucks, if you actually have them, can be denied warranty -- just based on you using an oil not meeting the manufacturer's specification. It's like this on any vehicle, anywhere they provide a warranty, the manufacturer wants a spec met. Amsoil is primarily a marketing company. Perhaps you've been "sold"?

Good luck if you have a warranty claim, your friends here tried to help...

Quick Reply: synthetic oils