Sponsored by: DP Tuner

(Application) Review - Loctive Extend Rust Treatment

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 10:08 PM
cjcocn
More Turbo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
(Application) Review - Loctite on Oil Pan

Well, on Sunday morning I scraped down my oil pan and painted it with two coats of Loctite Extend Rust Treatment (IMPORTANT: disclaimer at end of post).

The oil pan was painted with some sort of undercoating (as was the frame, etc) that seemed almost like a soft covering. It seemed more like a foam than a hard paint, although it wasn't near as soft as foam.

I had a few good sized flakes come off and there were a few spots where the metal was fully exposed and showing rust, but it did not seem rusted to the point where I was afraid that I was going to be poking through the oil pan. Also, it wasn't so bad that it was leaking!

I scraped the pan as best as I could using a wire brush, a 1 1/2" paint scraper, and (although more gently) even a flat bladed screwdriver. I then cleaned it with acetone, sanded it with 80 grit, cleaned it again with acetone, then proceeded to paint it with Loctite.

This form of rust treatment goes on white and dries to a black finish. I painted the first coat and was able to reach all areas using a 2" paint brush. As per the directions, I waited 20 minutes and painted on the second coat. At this time the chemical reaction had not fully occurred and the first coat still looked whitish .... I wasn't sure how well it would turn out, especially seeing it all white like that.

I also did a portion of my fenders on my trailer as they were quite badly rusted after one year (I need me some mud flaps). Why do I mention the trailer? Because I took pics of the trailer, that's why!

This first pic is actually of a chain. It accurately portrays how rusty my fender had become (it was actually hooked right next to my fender).

This next shot is of the fender that I painted with Loctite.

It dries fairly hard and, although it could use some sanding, I am happy with the results.

Although I have not checked underneath the truck, I imagine that my oil pan now has the same protection.

Now for the disclaimer .....

After applying the Loctite to my oil pan, I happened to re-read the bottle and it stated that it was okay to use in applications where temperatures would not surpass 200° F. arrghhh!!

So now I have to take my truck on the highway, let the temps get up there, and post up further results after having a look to see if it baked off.

Why did I bother posting this? Well after I provide an update or two, some of you may want to use this stuff on your frame, etc (that is if it holds up).

That's about it for this post!

Last edited by cjcocn; 07-17-2007 at 10:43 PM. Reason: clarity