Escape air conditioner warm air going uphill - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Escape & Escape Hybrid
Reload this Page >

Escape air conditioner warm air going uphill

Notices
Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Old 07-16-2007, 10:00 PM
redrangers
New User
redrangers is starting off with a positive reputation.

Have a 2003 escape 4l v6 xlt. a/c works fine on level surface, in traffic or slight inclines. When climbing large hills, blows warm air. Any thoughts?

Thank you
Rick

Old 07-17-2007, 07:01 AM
Nitramjr
Postmaster
Nitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant futureNitramjr has a brilliant future
I believe the air conditioner compressor gets shut off at wide open throttle - are these hills large enough that you have to floor it?

Old 07-17-2007, 07:23 PM
redrangers
New User
No, throttle need not be floored...And this condition also happens on long moderate grade hill regardless if setting is on regular a/c or recircurculating...Had this initial condition when bought car nearly brand new with 6,000 miles on odometer...A/C works fine in idle or when in use on fairly level grades...A friend who also owns a 2003 Mazda suv similar to the escape model also has same problem...

Old 07-19-2007, 01:14 PM
redrangers
New User
Could this be something as simple as low on freon or possibly is the engine heating up thus turning off the compressor, is there a heat actuated switch that turns off the compressor?. Only happens on moderate to large hills.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:34 PM
edgl
Elder User
edgl is starting off with a positive reputation.
The A/C will shut off during hard throttle runs. All vehicles have this. If you need more power going up a hill, then the computer shuts down the A/C, until you get back to level ground, where you don't need more power.

Old 07-22-2007, 07:01 PM
redrangers
New User
Thanks for the input. I don't notice it as much or at all with my Explorer. Is the computer user adjustable or even Ford adjustable cause where we live the terrain is very hilly and the weather very hot. The price to pay to live in Hawaii. BTW the problem with the transmission on the Explorer you guys helped me out with years ago has never given me a problem since. I sold the T-bird.

Many thanks again
Rick

Old 07-22-2007, 10:10 PM
kynnhoj
Senior User
kynnhoj is starting off with a positive reputation.
Possibly a vacuum leak? Don't own an escape but are the a/c doors operated by vacuum motors? Vacuum drops on the motor when under those operating conditions...

Old 07-22-2015, 08:48 AM
jiggersplat
New User
jiggersplat is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by redrangers View Post
Have a 2003 escape 4l v6 xlt. a/c works fine on level surface, in traffic or slight inclines. When climbing large hills, blows warm air. Any thoughts?

Thank you
Rick
Was this ever resolved?

I'm having the exact same problem. A/C works fine the majority of the time. When climbing long hills (gas peddle not all the way floored) the compressor stops running. Clearly not the vaccuum leak problem described in many threads that switches the fan duct to defrost, it continues to blow through the upper vents, just warm air. Mine *usually* comes back on once I stop climbing the hill but on a recent trip it did not work again until the car sat overnight.