Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Truck stalls on deceleration

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 09:53 AM
kenshi
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck stalls on deceleration

Yesterday, my truck started stalling when I let off the throttle. I can rev it up to about 2,000 RPM in neutral and left off and it'll die. I've stalled a couple of times slowing down and downshifting to take sharp turns. It cranks fine, idles fine, and accelerates and cruises fine.

I've been putting in fuel from a barrel and suspected the barrel may have had a little debris in it. I changed the fuel filter and sure enough, there was trash in the filter. However, the new filter didn't help at all. I have two fuel tanks and both tanks started doing it at the same time, so it can't be the fuel strainer (if there is one in the tank). I put fuel system cleaner in it but haven't ran it yet. I could use some help troubleshooting this problem.

Old 07-15-2007, 11:13 AM
bikergerm
Junior User
That's exactly what my 85 6.9L does, i think it's the injector pump. I've replaced every single fuel line, return lines and O-rings and it still does it, I haven't replaced the filter yet. From what I've read is that the injector works enough to keep the motor running but when it can't keep up once you get into the higher speed/RPM's

Jeremy

Old 07-15-2007, 11:48 AM
stevegold1958
Freshman User
Mine used to do the exact same thing, I started using some ATF in the fuel (but there are fuel addatives) and mine is fine now and it idles quiet too

Steve

Old 07-15-2007, 02:04 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Replace the fuel filter filling it with straight Diesel Kleen and run a tripple dose of Diesel Kleen in the tanks before replacing expensive parts.

You may be back to normal for under 50 dollars which will not replace any of the other parts on the engine fuel system except either one injector or a lift pump.

Old 07-15-2007, 02:24 PM
bikergerm
Junior User
So your saying put 1 bottle of diesel kleen in the filter and 3 bottles in the tank at once?

Steve-how much ATF were you using, were you pouring it into the tank?

Jeremy

Old 07-15-2007, 02:27 PM
kenshi
New User
Great suggestions. I've already put a little additive in the fuel tank. Maybe I'll pull off the filter and put some more in there. I'm thinking a little debris made it past the filter and is clogging up the injector pump and/or injectors. I really don't want to have to replace that pump.

Old 07-15-2007, 02:30 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Fill the filter with Diesel Kleen, that is about 1 bottle.
Mixing directions for the fuel tank are 32 oz. per 100 gallons of fuel, so 1 bottle between both tanks is plenty for a triple dose.
Your tank capacity for both tanks is 34 gallons if they are still stock tanks.

Old 07-15-2007, 03:27 PM
kenshi
New User
I poured a little transmission fluid in the fuel filter. After putting my foot in it for a few miles, it seems to be running fine again. I still have the additive in the fuel tank to burn so everything should be cleaned out before that tank is empty. I'll look for that Diesel Kleen stuff for the future.

Old 07-15-2007, 04:21 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Most auto parts stores and Walmart have Diesel Kleen in the fuel addative section.
Power Service makes Diesel Kleen, their products work well.

Stanadyne also has several good products, but they are much harder to find.

Old 07-15-2007, 06:16 PM
bikergerm
Junior User
kenshi- how much ATF did you pour into the filter? I was going to try it now but i can't get the filter off and my strap wrench is at work. I am going to get a new filter and some diesel kleen.

Jeremy

Old 07-15-2007, 06:58 PM
kenshi
New User
I'd say it was about half the filter or less. It didn't smoke at all like a gasoline engine does when you pour in ATF. I couldn't tell I was running anything besides diesel, other than it gradually driving better.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:25 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen to me a little while ago; stalling when I let off the throttle. Some ATF in the tank and it was cured in a matter of a few hours of normal driving.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:15 PM
netmaker
Freshman User
netmaker

I run a ratio of 5 ozs to 15 gal and add the Diesel Kleen additive every time I fill up or even when just adding a few gallons to the tanks. If I am concerned about where I am buying fuel I will double the additve rate. Good stuff and seems to be sold about everywhere.

Old 07-16-2007, 05:23 PM
schlager
Junior User
Hi all:
I hope you don't mind my nosing in with my two cents. I always prime my fuel filter every time I replace it with the cheapest ATF I can find. Usually from the Dollar Stores. I also put a can in each tank when I fill one up. It runs so much better when I do this. Also I run Diesel Kleen.

The truck is 1984 E-350 6.9l C6 3.5 rear end

Thanks for letting me butt in.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:55 PM
bikergerm
Junior User
Dude, I don't know why or how but I tell you what, I pulled the fuel filter and filled it half way up with ATf and cranked it, she idled rough at first and then smoothed out. She runs better than ever. I am going to put a quart in with every tank just like schlager. Thanks for tips guys.

Jeremy

Quick Reply: Truck stalls on deceleration