Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Truck stalls on deceleration

Old 08-23-2007, 11:52 AM
David85
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bikergerm
Okay, I installed a Holley red pump, bypassed the lift pump and it wouldn't crank. Then I ran the electric pump through the lift pump and it would crank but would die unless I had my foot on the pedal. I haven't got a clue what's going on. I also bypassed the fuel tank selector valve.

My fuel line goes from the tank to the electric pump to the filter and it won't crank.

Do I need the selector valve? Am I missing something?

Jeremy
Did you check the filter to see if the fuel is full to the top? And in paticular, did you check this when it acts up?

Old 08-24-2007, 07:37 AM
bikergerm
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never drove the truck again since the last time it died, so I never had a chance to check the filter. But I hooked the truck up to the battery charger (she's been sitting) and I got her cranked up. She idled smooth, I took her around the block and got on her a couple of times and she took it. I'm going to drive her to work today so we'll see.

Jeremy

Old 08-25-2007, 09:34 AM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Make sure the selector valve has the same tank selected as you are sucking fuel out of.

The selector valve switches both the supply and the return lines from one tank to the other.

Also I would get the stock lift pump out of the fuel circuit when an electric pump is installed.

Old 08-25-2007, 11:11 AM
kenshi
New User
My problem has returned and it's worse now. I can just rev it up to about 1,300 in neutral and let off and it'll die. When it hasn't just been running, it turns over slowly like the battery is low, but it's not. I've tried filling the fuel filter twice with ATF and this time it doesn't seem to make a difference. I pulled off the top of the injector pump and it looked pretty clean in that reservoir. That assembly at the bottom (the fuel cut-off switch?) slides back and forth, although there's a bit of looseness to it. (Maybe there's supposed to be.) My manual doesn't cover the injector pump at all, so I don't know exactly how it works. It runs fine when idling, cruising, and accelerating. It's only when you let off the throttle that the problem is evident. I suspect it's related to the fuel cut-off. I hate driving it this way, but until the parts for my bike arrive, it's all I have. Can you guys suggest something to check on it? Merci.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:25 AM
bikergerm
Junior User
Have you replaced your return lines/caps/ o-rings? I noticed while driving my truck home yesterday that it would buck a little when I let off the pedal. I checked under the hood and one of the return lines was leaking. Sorry I'm not much help, my problem was kinda opposite of yours, I couldn't give mine gas. What I really think the solution is-replace the mechanical lift pump with a Holley red. I did it in mine, it has more power, is more responsive and is quieter. I bought mine at local speed shop for $110, took about 20 minutes to install.

Jeremy

Old 08-26-2007, 02:17 PM
kenshi
New User
I replaced the return lines and all that a few months ago. There doesn't seem to be a leak. I think it's something in the fuel cut-off. I suspect that it's having trouble starting because a little fuel slowly leaks into one of the cylinders while the truck is dead. I'm thinking something is loose or it's something simple like that, but I'm not sure where to look now.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:08 PM
AKequals
New User
Originally Posted by flyboyd8
The LSD we are getting now needs an additive to lube our IP's. what you are describing is the fuel shutoff sticking when you idle down, our fuel is nearly shut off every time we idle off abruptly. The first time it happened to me I called my diesel shop and they said very common on LSD fuel, add lube and it should go away in as little as 2 minutes of running. that solved the problem for me. I use either Stanadyn or Power server's additives. On a recent trip from Central NY to SD and back I ended up using a lot more LSD than I was prepared to ( not enough additive with me). My last tank of fuel was untreated and as I pulled out of the last toll booth to an intersection My motor shut down. I was 18 miles from home at this time. It did restart. After getting home I added 8 oz of power server to the rest of the tank and within 3 minutes of setting there idling the problem went away. before I added the lube it would shut down every time I reved and immediately took my foot from the consumption pedal

If you can't restart , it is safe to remove the top of the IP, by disconecting the 2 wires and removeing the three screw (5/16 head). Pick it straigth up and swing to drivers side out of way, stick clean finger in the Ip and wiggle the linkage on the drivers side of the IP it will pop open and the truck will imidiatly start after reinstalling the top and reconnecting the wire, you may loose an once of fuel but last Dec. mine started the first compresion stroke after doing just what I described. I was instrucked my diesel repair shop to just as I described. The Three Screws should be retorgued at 35 in/oz when you can. I carry one of them 4 in1 screw drivers in my truck and the larger bit is 5/16's shank. it was handy to remove top of IP with. the top is sealed w/ a flat O-ring in a groove just make sure it is still in place and you will be running again.

Long live the IDI

Ken H
good information! I'm dealing with the issue right now with 400,000 miles. THought I was due for a new pump for certain, last pump was changed at 170,000 and I've owned in since 220,00. Starting using Marvil Mystery Fluid after the tapping of valves? I put it in the oil, fuel, 50/50 ATF/MMF in the fuel filter. In the fuel I've been using a low emission 2 stroke oil. This a paper on all that --chart summery of many products with mixing ratios, cost per tank, and wear scar results, LAST PAGE http://rivrdog.typepad.com/files/cop...-version-3.pdf

Old 11-01-2011, 09:48 PM
gummybear918714
Junior User
Red Dye

Originally Posted by flyboyd8
The LSD we are getting now needs an additive to lube our IP's. what you are describing is the fuel shutoff sticking when you idle down, our fuel is nearly shut off every time we idle off abruptly. The first time it happened to me I called my diesel shop and they said very common on LSD fuel, add lube and it should go away in as little as 2 minutes of running. that solved the problem for me. I use either Stanadyn or Power server's additives. On a recent trip from Central NY to SD and back I ended up using a lot more LSD than I was prepared to ( not enough additive with me). My last tank of fuel was untreated and as I pulled out of the last toll booth to an intersection My motor shut down. I was 18 miles from home at this time. It did restart. After getting home I added 8 oz of power server to the rest of the tank and within 3 minutes of setting there idling the problem went away. before I added the lube it would shut down every time I reved and immediately took my foot from the consumption pedal

If you can't restart , it is safe to remove the top of the IP, by disconecting the 2 wires and removeing the three screw (5/16 head). Pick it straigth up and swing to drivers side out of way, stick clean finger in the Ip and wiggle the linkage on the drivers side of the IP it will pop open and the truck will imidiatly start after reinstalling the top and reconnecting the wire, you may loose an once of fuel but last Dec. mine started the first compresion stroke after doing just what I described. I was instrucked my diesel repair shop to just as I described. The Three Screws should be retorgued at 35 in/oz when you can. I carry one of them 4 in1 screw drivers in my truck and the larger bit is 5/16's shank. it was handy to remove top of IP with. the top is sealed w/ a flat O-ring in a groove just make sure it is still in place and you will be running again.

Long live the IDI

Ken H
While driving a rig it was always stated that the red dye in diesel was to distinguish between road use fuel and non road use fuel, the latter of which is cheaper because of no road use tax added. As to the LSD not having enough lubricant I agree but the dye doesn't do that. DOT would check rigs periodically at weigh scales but I have never heard of law enforcement stopping a diesel pickup unless they were hauling commercially.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:07 AM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gummybear918714
While driving a rig it was always stated that the red dye in diesel was to distinguish between road use fuel and non road use fuel, the latter of which is cheaper because of no road use tax added. As to the LSD not having enough lubricant I agree but the dye doesn't do that. DOT would check rigs periodically at weigh scales but I have never heard of law enforcement stopping a diesel pickup unless they were hauling commercially.
They may not in your area, but they have a hay day with it out here. If you get pulled over by a state cop and you drive a diesel, your tank is getting dipped. Theyre always going to the livestock yards and ag sales, etc. and checking semi's and pickups alike. The increase in checking has definately coincided with the decline of the economy... farm diesel in a hwy vehicle is a hefty fine. Around here 3rd offense is $100 per gallon in the vehicle, and 6 month manditory drivers license suspension. I think they can get you for up to $30,000 just on 3rd offense.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:36 AM
gummybear918714
Junior User
My area is an island now as I don't drive a rig anymore as I became a single dad. Around the ag sites and farms I am sure they do but that would be a commercial setting not the general public such as people driving Mercedes or VW diesels or just a pickup truck used to haul you kids dirt bikes, etc, etc. There is an exception to every rule however I am just saying that they don't just pull diesel POV's to check their fuel for dye unless they have ample reason.

Old 11-05-2011, 04:36 AM
kneisl99
Junior User
HA! my dyed red fuel oil for the boiler goes for $3.88 a gallon and the stuff I buy at the pumps is $3.59 per.

Go figure that one out.

State of NJ.

Old 11-05-2011, 04:48 AM
gummybear918714
Junior User
LOL! That is totally messed up. We was get raped by what they charge for fuel on the island versus what is on the mainland. Our fuel out here on the island last time I got it was 4.639 on 10/22 but I dont know what the non road use fuel is. I will check it out though. I know when I was driving a rig the dyed fuel was always way cheaper.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:45 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thats weird, off road diesel around here is almost a doller a gallon cheaper. .82 cents in fact. Diesel is around 4.04 at the pumps. Your boiler diesel, is it #1 or #2 that could be part of it, #1 is more expensive i think burns alot hotter tho.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:03 AM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gummybear918714
My area is an island now as I don't drive a rig anymore as I became a single dad. Around the ag sites and farms I am sure they do but that would be a commercial setting not the general public such as people driving Mercedes or VW diesels or just a pickup truck used to haul you kids dirt bikes, etc, etc. There is an exception to every rule however I am just saying that they don't just pull diesel POV's to check their fuel for dye unless they have ample reason.
You can think that, but it's not true. I've been pulled over 5 times in the past 6-7 years. The Commercial Vehicle division of the State Patrol set up on a busy intersection and flag EVERY Diesel Vehicle over.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:16 PM
gummybear918714
Junior User
Like I said, there are exception's to every rule. Maybe Minnesota is more **** then other states in the areas of diesel fuel testing. In all the years I drove a rig across all 48 states, not once did I get tested. I didn't use the dyed fuel, just saying I never got stopped to be tested.

Last edited by gummybear918714; 11-06-2011 at 12:16 PM. Reason: misspelled word