Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Truck stalls on deceleration

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 08:07 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only problem with using ATF is that its red, cops where I live don't check the tank (mabe they're scared to pull me over?), but I have heard of others that have had some problems with adding something to their fuel that makes it look "marked".

I'm not sure how much you can add before it starts to look like marked fuel, but I thought I'd give you a head's up anyway.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:15 PM
schlager
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think they would notice a qt. of red diesel in 20 gallons of diesel. Don't know for sure though. If they don't wan't my ATF they should put the sulpher back in. HarHar

Old 07-16-2007, 08:16 PM
bikergerm
Junior User
Mark-What do you mean "marked? Why would cops check our tank?

Jeremy

Old 07-16-2007, 08:24 PM
David85
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by schlager
I don't think they would notice a qt. of red diesel in 20 gallons of diesel. Don't know for sure though. If they don't wan't my ATF they should put the sulpher back in. HarHar
I hear ya, a small portion of biodiesel would also make a difference to help lubrication, noise, emissions etc, but fuel policy rarely makes sence in the real world.

Mark-What do you mean "marked? Why would cops check our tank?

Jeremy
I never had any problems myself , but heard of the odd crackdown where cops would check the fuel in the tank for red dye.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:29 PM
schlager
Junior User
Someday they will find out what they are missing on Bio Diesel too.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:55 PM
stevegold1958
Freshman User
Smile

Sorry for the delay in getting back to answer.

I use 1 quart of cheap ATF per tank, I keep some of my recent recepts for fuel and ATF and the gas station attendants all know me by now and my eccentic behaviour, of putting ATF in the fuel tank. I tell them it is because "modern" US diesel is low grade. So I have some witness and documentation to account for my odd behaviour

Steve

Old 07-17-2007, 12:40 AM
dwaymar
Senior User
one qrt will not mark the fuel to tell the truth the only difference from red fuel and reg is a small dye pac or some of the racks still have the dye on the rack but atf will not mark the fuel

Old 07-17-2007, 08:15 AM
flyboyd8
Senior User
The LSD we are getting now needs an additive to lube our IP's. what you are describing is the fuel shutoff sticking when you idle down, our fuel is nearly shut off every time we idle off abruptly. The first time it happened to me I called my diesel shop and they said very common on LSD fuel, add lube and it should go away in as little as 2 minutes of running. that solved the problem for me. I use either Stanadyn or Power server's additives. On a recent trip from Central NY to SD and back I ended up using a lot more LSD than I was prepared to ( not enough additive with me). My last tank of fuel was untreated and as I pulled out of the last toll booth to an intersection My motor shut down. I was 18 miles from home at this time. It did restart. After getting home I added 8 oz of power server to the rest of the tank and within 3 minutes of setting there idling the problem went away. before I added the lube it would shut down every time I reved and immediately took my foot from the consumption pedal

If you can't restart , it is safe to remove the top of the IP, by disconecting the 2 wires and removeing the three screw (5/16 head). Pick it straigth up and swing to drivers side out of way, stick clean finger in the Ip and wiggle the linkage on the drivers side of the IP it will pop open and the truck will imidiatly start after reinstalling the top and reconnecting the wire, you may loose an once of fuel but last Dec. mine started the first compresion stroke after doing just what I described. I was instrucked my diesel repair shop to just as I described. The Three Screws should be retorgued at 35 in/oz when you can. I carry one of them 4 in1 screw drivers in my truck and the larger bit is 5/16's shank. it was handy to remove top of IP with. the top is sealed w/ a flat O-ring in a groove just make sure it is still in place and you will be running again.

Long live the IDI

Ken H

Old 07-17-2007, 08:18 AM
flyboyd8
Senior User
It is my understandings that ATF has a base material of Kerosene, then lots of Lube, and deturgent is added, along with red die. Thats why it works so well as a fuel and cleaner. Sometimes it even helps an E4OD to survive.

Long live the IDI

Ken H

Old 07-18-2007, 12:12 AM
NaturallyAspirated
New User
does it matter if it is a 7.3L or does it have to be a 6.9 to add the ATF.

Old 07-18-2007, 12:22 AM
David85
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by NaturallyAspirated
Nope. Piston diameter is about the only real differnce between the two engines.

Old 07-18-2007, 11:41 AM
schlager
Junior User
I learned about the ATF on my 1985 Mercedes 300TD N/A. When I give it a little ATF you would think if had died and gone to heaven. It would like to have that diet all the time. The experts say to use a product called Diesel Purge on them every once and a while but I have never tried it. They sware by it though. Some one might comment about using it, especialy on other than MB diesels. I haven't tried it in my MB or my 1984 6.9l E-350 C6.

Old 07-18-2007, 07:27 PM
kenshi
New User
Originally Posted by NaturallyAspirated
Mine is a 7.3.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:03 AM
PLC7.3
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a TSB regarding the stalling problem........6.9/7.3 stalls when coming to a stop or clutch is disengaged.... Cause contaminated IP or low lubricity fuels......rust and crud in the IP. TSB 94-5-11...Dated March 9-94.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:08 AM
schlager
Junior User
PLC7.3

What does the TSB 94-5-11 say we should do to solve this problem? It can't be as simple as the ATF treatment. It never is you know.

Quick Reply: Truck stalls on deceleration