Sponsored by: DP Tuner

7.3l Fuel Supply System?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 01:36 AM
Wyo Techer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7.3l Fuel Supply System?

Does the f250/f350 fuel system use any kind of fuel lift pump, boost pump, or fuel transfer pump? I was looking in a 7.3l manual and this is what it said. The Electric Fuel Pump draws fuel from the fuel tank and circulates the fuel under pressure through the fuel filter, water separator, fuel pressure regulator on to the cylinder head fuel galleries to the HEUI (Hydraulic Electric Unit Injectors) fuel injectors. and that the HEUI fuel injectors are actuated by a High Pressure Oil Pump. am i missing something? everyone i talk to says that it has to have some other kind of lift pump or a transfer pump in the fuel tank. whats the deal? thanks in advance for the help.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:52 AM
VQ2Fast4U
Senior User
Just one fuel pump on the frame rail, thats it.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:36 AM
Flea
Elder User
I believe it is an electric on the '99s and up.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:41 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
only one pump gets the fuel from the tank to the fuel bowl..the HPOP ( high Pressure oil pump) is what boost the fuel pressure up for the injectors to fire..

Old 07-12-2007, 07:15 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Originally Posted by Wyo Techer
Does the f250/f350 fuel system use any kind of fuel lift pump, boost pump, or fuel transfer pump? I was looking in a 7.3l manual and this is what it said. The Electric Fuel Pump draws fuel from the fuel tank and circulates the fuel under pressure through the fuel filter, water separator, fuel pressure regulator on to the cylinder head fuel galleries to the HEUI (Hydraulic Electric Unit Injectors) fuel injectors. and that the HEUI fuel injectors are actuated by a High Pressure Oil Pump. am i missing something? everyone i talk to says that it has to have some other kind of lift pump or a transfer pump in the fuel tank. whats the deal? thanks in advance for the help.
There is no transfer pump in the fuel tank, but it needs one.
These trucks have a tendancy to draw air into the fuel stream at the quick connects between the tank and the fuel pump inlet because there is a slight vacuum at those unions. A lift pump would pressurize that part of the system and cure that problem.
There is a fairly simple mod called the Hutch and quick connect elimination that cures that problem. Makes a world of difference, doesn't cost much to do and it can be done on a saturday afternoon.