Sponsored by: DP Tuner

2003 7.3 oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 07:42 AM
uarep
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 7.3 oil leak

I have a 2003 f-250 7.3 diesel I have a leak at the back of the engine by the torque converter inspection cover, I think it is comming from up top of the engine can anyone give me a place to start or could ot be the turbo cradle seal and how hard is it to fix.
Uarep

Old 07-11-2007, 08:01 AM
af4ms
Junior User
Originally Posted by uarep
I have a 2003 f-250 7.3 diesel I have a leak at the back of the engine by the torque converter inspection cover, I think it is comming from up top of the engine can anyone give me a place to start or could ot be the turbo cradle seal and how hard is it to fix.
Uarep
There are a number of different causes for oil coming through the seep hold in the torque converter cover. One of the most common that I found, and was the cause of mine, is one of the two orange boots underneath the turbo could be either cracked or loose. Each of these boots have two hose clamps on them and mine had one of those loose on the drivers side. Snugged it up and it quit leaking. I was getting around 2-3 drops per trip. Keep in mind though, if it is in the valley it will take 5-7 days of normal use before all of the oil dries up on the back side of the engine. I would clean the valley as well. Others will probably chime in on thoer locations to look.

Doug

Old 07-11-2007, 08:23 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Two other very common sources of lube oil leaks are the hose fittings and rear plug on the high pressure oil pump (HPOP), and the turbo pedestal o-rings.

Could this leak be fuel? If so, there's the fuel drain valve o-rings to look at.

Pop

Old 07-12-2007, 10:09 PM
gus203
New User
I just fixed my leak this afternoon. I read all the posts on these oil leaks and found mine was leaking from the rear plug on the HPOP. In fact it wasn't even tight. I used a regular O-ring(black rubber) and Red loctite. No more leak.
I got a big piece of foam rubber(about 3 ft. square x 4 in. thick. I put it on the right side of the engine compartment so I could get on top of the engine and see down in the valley and clean it up. From a cold start get up on top of the engine, (watch out for the fan and moving parts), Get a bright flashlight and a mirror that will fit down under the HPOP and look under the pump and see exactly where the leak is.Get the o-ring kit or go it on your own like I did. Good luck.Thanks to all those who provided the great information available on this wonderful site.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:10 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by af4ms
There are a number of different causes for oil coming through the seep hold in the torque converter cover. One of the most common that I found, and was the cause of mine, is one of the two orange boots underneath the turbo could be either cracked or loose. Each of these boots have two hose clamps on them and mine had one of those loose on the drivers side. Snugged it up and it quit leaking. I was getting around 2-3 drops per trip. Keep in mind though, if it is in the valley it will take 5-7 days of normal use before all of the oil dries up on the back side of the engine. I would clean the valley as well. Others will probably chime in on thoer locations to look.

Doug
If you tighten those and do the CCV mod, you'll get no more oil there. That very thing is what brought me to this site. I saw the oil and did some digging around on the 'net and ended up here. Read the posts about the common causes, did the above, and cleaned the engine with Simple Green. No more oil.

BTW, you're the only other Ham I've seen here.

Joe, N3JI

Old 07-13-2007, 07:33 AM
af4ms
Junior User
Originally Posted by Izzy351
If you tighten those and do the CCV mod, you'll get no more oil there. That very thing is what brought me to this site. I saw the oil and did some digging around on the 'net and ended up here. Read the posts about the common causes, did the above, and cleaned the engine with Simple Green. No more oil.

BTW, you're the only other Ham I've seen here.

Joe, N3JI
I havent seen any others myself. I have the CCV mod printed out and am waiting to get caught up on some work to do the mod.

I have a 2M 440 antenna mounted (NMO Mount just above the third brake light compartment) on the roof of my 2000 CC Long Box and the cable fed underneath the liner and have the radio (Yaesu 7100) mounted behind the back seat. The remote head is mounted below the little indention box and works very well. However I dont do well in parking garages.

Good to meet you Joe. This site has provided me with a ton of VERY useful info. Hope to talk to you soon!

73's
Doug - AF4MS
(Now everyone is wondering what is going on. These acronyms are not on the site )

Old 07-13-2007, 08:25 AM
dieseloholic
Senior User
I'd look at the O ring on the fuel water seperator as well. I had a leak there and I initally thought it was an oil leak. It was filling up the valley and picking up dirt from there and when running down, made it look oily. It's a really common failure point.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:17 AM
uarep
New User
what is the ccv mod and how can I get information on it. UAREP

Old 07-13-2007, 10:11 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Just about anything and everything you could ever want to do to your truck:
http://www.7point3.com/Mods.aspx

Guzzle's world-class mod & maint write-ups:
http://guzzle.rbmicro.com/

BE WARNED though. Going to these pages has been known to the state of California and the Surgeon General to be leading cause of PMS!!

Old 07-13-2007, 10:18 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by af4ms
I havent seen any others myself. I have the CCV mod printed out and am waiting to get caught up on some work to do the mod.

I have a 2M 440 antenna mounted (NMO Mount just above the third brake light compartment) on the roof of my 2000 CC Long Box and the cable fed underneath the liner and have the radio (Yaesu 7100) mounted behind the back seat. The remote head is mounted below the little indention box and works very well. However I dont do well in parking garages.

Good to meet you Joe. This site has provided me with a ton of VERY useful info. Hope to talk to you soon!

73's
Doug - AF4MS
(Now everyone is wondering what is going on. These acronyms are not on the site )
I run an Icom IC-7000, but haven't done the "real" install just yet. I've been out of town for the last six months, so I haven't had time. When I get it installed, the head will be right in front of the little cubby next to the climate controls (which may be the exact place you're describing). I have a dual-band Larson on the roof, and a High Sierra Screwdriver home-brew clone mounted to the verticle surface just inside the tailgate. Also have a 500W HF amp, 160W 2m amp, and 100W 440 amp, none of which are installed yet, either. I had all that crap in my Ranger previously -- it was a lot of fun...

Oh yeah, my truck doesn't leak oil anymore, and it runs better than ever since finding this site. That's why I became a supporter. Worth every penny!!

Old 07-13-2007, 03:27 PM
af4ms
Junior User
It will be an investment I will make soon