Help - 61 Econoline engine ID

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 09:51 AM
waztmp
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help - 61 Econoline engine ID

Hi -
I recently bought a toy/hobby - a 1961 Econoline truck. I came across this site and was impressed with the knowledge base and friendliness of the members. I hope to use this site to gain more knowledge of the vehicle - I am not a mechanic by trade...

That being said, I am in need of some help in identifying the engine that is in it. The previous owner, a lady, stated that the engine was replaced - but did not know with what. It is a straight 6, but do not know if it is a 144 or a 170, or what... Is there any markings (such as the VIN# on the engine block, in a certain area) that may assist me? The transmission is a 3-speed on the column.

Any help is appreciated -

Waz

Old 06-21-2007, 05:37 PM
Jimbare
all alone in the world
hhmmmmmm,casting numbers wont help. mabey numberdummy can answer that one for you.

send me your vin and data plate info and i will decode it for you.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:20 PM
waztmp
New User
Thanks much - Jimbare; I should be able to get the info in a day or so...

Old 06-22-2007, 11:22 PM
waztmp
New User
Hi Jim -
Got a little info for you - the VIN # - E10SH120653 - Under the TRANS area, stated A 02. Noticed that the door plastic VIN info did not match the original Ford plate. Also, looked under the vehicle - noticed that the rear-end is a small one - and that the driveshaft seems to be skinny, about 3 1/2 to 4 feet long.
I received extra parts with this p/u (perhaps for a future project, perhaps as part of it's history...?) - a smaller, beefier driveshaft (2 1/2 feet long, maybe) and beefier shocks, with coiled springs on the outside.

Waz

Old 06-23-2007, 11:14 PM
waztmp
New User
Jim -
will not need to determine the type engine - it blew a rod during the drive home from a tire dealership - thanks for your help -
I will start a new post - on determining a replacement engine -
Waz

Old 06-25-2007, 10:54 AM
cobraguy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Waz IMHO a 144 or 170 are not worth the $ to rebuild. Find a 200 out of a falcon or mustang and use it. Block #s can be found between the starter and motor mount. A quick ID help is they have 5 freeze plugs. You can also stuff other engines in there. I had a 66 econoline van that I stuffed a 351C into. If you want some more info on ford sixes try fordsix.com

Old 06-25-2007, 11:10 AM
waztmp
New User
Thank you very much for the info. I will try to find a good 200 CI six to put into it... after I learn how to take it out (I knew I should have taken auto shop in high school...)

Waz

Old 06-25-2007, 11:49 AM
cobraguy
Posting Guru
Jack up the front end as high as you can and place jackstands behind the front springs. Remove the pitman arm from the steering box. Disconnect the front brake lines. Unbolt the shocks and leaf springs. Lower front axle assembly to the ground and roll it out of the way. Disconnect the engine wiring, hoses, and linkage. Mark what goes to what. Remove the driveshaft. Drop engine and tranny as a whole. I've pulled the front axle lowered the truck until the engine is on the ground unbolted it and used an engine hoist at the front bumper mounts to lift the truck off the engine.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:30 PM
merlynr
Posting Guru
The Granadas and Mavericks had 200ci sixes also. Guess the Monarchs did too.
I had a 200 in a 66 Mustang and the lower end is bullet proof imho what with the 7 main bearings. The single carb and intake leaves a bit to be desired though.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:18 PM
waztmp
New User
Thanks for the help... Cobraguy, I live up in North San Diego County (Vista) - and work in San Diego...

Old 06-26-2007, 11:08 AM
cobraguy
Posting Guru
Must be you I saw on craigslist looking for a 200. If you need some help I'm in El Cajon drop me a pm and I'll give you my phone #. Pick your part is having a 50% off sale 7/4-7/8. I'm sure you can find a 200/250 for cheap.

Last edited by cobraguy; 06-26-2007 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:17 PM
waztmp
New User
Will try to contact you later - and yes, that was me on CL (been pretty good at buying and selling - the 61 has been a challenge for a newbie like me, though...)

Waz

Old 07-01-2007, 07:09 PM
waztmp
New User
Found a 200 CI 6 at a salvage yard, engine was recently running; it came complete except for the carburetor (has the electronic ignition distributor on it). I am in need of how to hook up the electronic ignition (will be getting a DuraSpark II control unit, wire harness, and coil) - any ideas are appreciated. I have been researching the web on this...

Old 07-01-2007, 08:51 PM
42ninef100
Junior User
Cool little trucks.My first ford truck 63ECO 300 six three spd man would pull front tires up and tote 15 feet ,tare up second,bark therd . Would take all stock CSB at my school.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:30 PM
66gpw
Postmaster
I changed my first engine through the bottom. It was not as easy as cobraguy says. It is back breaking to get the other engine up in place.
The 2nd time was easier and surprisingly easy also.
You remove the front seats, and the doghouse. Then you have a great access to the engine. Then you can unbolt the rad and motor mounts and the tranny.. You then remove the passenger door. use a engine cherry picker through the door. Once the engine is up you can turn it to guide out through the door. It is less hassle than jacking the truck up and trying to lift the motor in place.

Now you got a 200 from a newer vehicle. I installed one from a 72 Maverick. The engine sit wider, so the motor mounts do not line up to thier mounts on the chasis. This can be remedy by drilling new motor mount hole on the chasis. The engine will be more to one side than the other. Go for the drivers side. Otherwise you will have problems with exhaust too close to the doghouse.
The next problem is the tranny bolting on. The bellhousing bolts to the block are not the same. I had to get a bellhousing from a newer vehicle also (aluminium) get it built up and new bolt holes drilled and tap to bolt onto the tranny.
This is from my experiences fromchanging engines on 61 to 64 Econoline trucks and vans. 65 Econo's are better, for they were designed for the 250's and 300's . Larger engine room. If you were to put a V8 in you have to modified the engine housing to fit the engine and the floors may need to be cut to fit a V8. I have had no experience to change one, But I have bought a few for parts. The frame sometimes gets compromised if not built up for the V8 engine. I currently have a van body here that was done on it and the frame twisted. They cut the crossmembers to fit the engine in.
If your having problems with the 200 putting it in just post on the forum and we will help you where we can.

Quick Reply: Help - 61 Econoline engine ID