supercharger on a 5.8

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2002, 07:22 PM
stover007
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
supercharger on a 5.8

Does anyone have a supercharger on their 351w? IF so what kind did you get and how much did it cost you? Since you put it on how much did it affect your fuel milage? thanks

Old 07-28-2002, 09:53 PM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
supercharger on a 5.8

The mileage will be a little less than what it is now if you stay off the gas. Once you stomp on it, in goes the air and extra fuel and the mileage will go down. Check out the kenne bell twin screw, it's the best one going at about 3300 bucks.

Primary rig is Green Thunder:
95' F-150 XLT 4x4, 302, 5 spd, MSD 6A, Flowmaster American Thunder Exhaust, Sunroof, Clear corners w/ Diamond headlights, CD player with 2 10" subs and some 32" BFG Muds .

Check out my Gallery for a look-see.

Then theres:
99' Mustang GT 4.6L
88' F-250 Superduty 4x4 351/c6
95' Mercury Cougar 4.6L V-8
80' E-350 300/6 with a
3 spd column shifter. Top speed is 65mph, Go Baby Go!

Old 07-29-2002, 05:34 AM
Lightning2Fast
Senior User
supercharger on a 5.8

i had a powerdyne and now i have a vortech. i love them both. the powerdyne bolts on in an afternoon and is by far the easiest to install. i switched to a vortech because the powerdyne has its limits as far as horsepower is concerned. i wanted more so i got a vortech. you cant kill em. by far the best out there. and the tech help and customer service is great.

Old 07-29-2002, 12:11 PM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
supercharger on a 5.8

Well i'm new to the superchager game but as far as i've learned, the kenne bell makes more power than the vortech. The vortech is centrifugal and it doesn't make as much boost until you get high up in the RPMs.

95' F-150 XLT 4x4, 302, 5 spd, MSD 6A, Flowmaster American Thunder Exhaust, Sunroof, Clear corners w/ Diamond headlights, CD player with 2 10" subs and some 32" BFG Muds .

Then theres:
99' Mustang GT 4.6L
80' E-350 300/6 with a

Old 07-29-2002, 05:24 PM
Lightning2Fast
Senior User
supercharger on a 5.8

the kenne bell does boost faster and makes more midrange torque however the vortech will over power it on top. also the kenne bell gneerates alot of heat. and with heat youve gotta retard timing and power is lost in that. there is also alot more room to grow with the vortech if you ever get serious. the kenne bells efficiancy dies when reaching boost levels over 10 #s. the vortech shines and just gets better from there. i know alot of truck owners with both blowers and the general trend is that the vortech guys go faster than the kenne bell crowd. usually but not always.

Old 07-29-2002, 08:09 PM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
supercharger on a 5.8

Well, as i said i'm new to superchargers. The kenne bell was said to make 100hp (realistically less) and the vortech around 75hp. The vortech was 3100 and the kenne bell was 3500. But I did find the kenne bell cheaper for 3300, so i bet the vortech is a little cheaper as well.

Then theres:
99' Mustang GT 4.6L
80' E-350 300/6 with a

Old 08-02-2002, 12:10 PM
StangMan
Senior User
supercharger on a 5.8

Umm, "turbo-lag" on a blower? Confusion in terms, turbo-lag refers to the time it takes a turbo to spool up to a useful RPM from its idle "rest" speed. Blowers have no such thing since they are mechanically driven.
Now, it's true that centrifugal blowers don't make max boost til further up the RPM scale, but that's the trade-off for higher RPM performance, not necessarily what you need.
For your application, I would suggest the twin-screw KB blower because in a lot of off-roading that I've done, that is climbing that I've done, was all at 3k RPM or less in a low gear.
If you're racing on the street, look into a centrifugal blower. If for no other reason, these blowers don't create the heat of a roots-style, allowing more timing to be run and reducing the risk of detonation.
Another misconception is something that was stated before, that you will gain economy with a blower. The only reason this would be true is if you previously had to drive around with your foot to the floor due to a lack of power in the vehicle, and with the blower there is enough extra HP that you're not in the gas nearly as much. The reason is simple, as soon as you're making boost, you're sending more air and consequently more fuel into the engine. More fuel meens less economy at relative RPM's.
A blower also creates a small amount of parasitic drag on the motor, but this is of little consequence in the long run, unless you have a tensioner misaligned or misadjusted, in which case you snap a pulley off.
Sorry for the long post, good luck.

Old 08-03-2002, 01:28 AM
jberylecrider
Senior User
supercharger on a 5.8

What if someone wanted a whole bunch of real low RPM power, I am talkin 1200 - 2500 ?

What do you choose to get a gain in that range?
When offroad you dont see high rpm's so theres no need for major boost at 3000 - 5000 rpm's, just want a lot of torque and hp in the low range!

Is there a certain charger or blower setup to acheive this?

Thanks!

Old 08-03-2002, 02:09 AM
StangMan
Senior User
supercharger on a 5.8

For that range you're wanting a roots-style blower. It'll pick up at around 2k RPM, and have a very solid torque curve up the scale. A centrifugal blower will reach max boost much higher up, not where you want it.
Call some techs and local speed shop engine builders to see what they say.
just my opinion.
Ben

Old 08-03-2002, 01:31 PM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
supercharger on a 5.8

Look at truckperoformance.com, and find the KB blower, and on that page, it has a link for more information. Poke around and find the torque/hp graphs. Those numbers are from KB so it's a little bias, but it's informative.

Then theres:
99' Mustang GT 4.6L
88' F-250 Heavyduty 4x4 351/c6
80' E-350 300/6 with a
3 spd column shifter. Weighs around 7,000lbs w. 65mph top speed, who wants to race me!

Old 08-04-2002, 12:50 AM
mustange70
Post Fiend
supercharger on a 5.8

Since we are on the subject of superchargers i have a post in the general forum called electric motors that dealls with superchargers(or turbos) that provide full boost at any rpm lets 600rpm to 6000rpm with no lag or over boost. Please check out the post and let me know what you think.

P.S. its for a very important ISI science project.

Cody, Coutts Alberta

82' Flareside: zoom zoom doesn't even begin to describe it, 2/4 Drop, Soon to have 325hp 351 Clevo (maybe more,in a 3600lb truck)Backed by a C6 with a 2000 rpm stall and a 3.50 9 incher, American Racing AR-23 (series 23) wheels, Upgraded interior, Sony Xplod stereo

Old 08-05-2002, 12:44 PM
jberylecrider
Senior User
supercharger on a 5.8

Is it true that adding a supercharger greatly reduces the life of your engine?

This concerns me because I have 120,000 miles on it already I dont want to blow it up by adding a supercharger.

Thanks!

Old 08-05-2002, 12:58 PM
jberylecrider
Senior User
supercharger on a 5.8

What did you mean by:

"Supercharged engines operate in vacuum almost all the time, unlike turbo systems."

I dont know a thing about all this, so can you explain that a little more for me.

Thanks!

Old 08-05-2002, 03:56 PM
StangMan
Senior User
supercharger on a 5.8

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 05-Aug-02 AT 04:59 PM (EST)]>Premature engine wear is caused by erratic driving styles.

Agreed.

>Under normal driving conditions most people will see an improvement on gas economy because it helps your engine work less harder to produce power.

Not necessarily, unless your normal driving requirements demand high power output from the vehicle, such as pulling loads or driving up hills.

>The supercharger is actually very efficient for your engine.

To a point. A blower by nature is inefficient in comparison to a turbo because of the parasitic drag it causes to the rotating assembly, whereas the turbo is spooled by exhaust gas and does not cause this drag.

>A lot of people don’t realize that a supercharger system will not affect the engines durability.

True. That's why when they install them and drive the Hell outa the car and it dies after 10,000 miles, they wonder why.

>In fact as a general rule, the worst thing you can do is over rev and engine.

True, no matter what engine, what power adder, or what condition, the worst things you can do to it are over-reving and saradic throttle positioning. Engines like running at constant RPM's, be it higher or lower.

>Supercharged engines operate in vacuum almost all the time...

Until they start making boost, anyway.

>When in boost, at full throttle, the forces on the engine are still lower than the rotational forces.

??? Rotational forces before the introduction of boost or after? The nature of a "boosted" engine is to force more stuff into a combustion chamber at once than there would be under normally aspirated conditions. This added "stuff" increases the forces acting upon the rotating assembly, pushing down harder on the pistons to create more power.

JB, there's a lot of myths and folklore surrounding engines operating under boost . To your question, a blown engine operates under vacuum until it starts making boost because at RPM's below 2000 RPM, the blower isn't moving enough air to actually create boost, or supply more air than the engine naturally demands.
The truth is, if you drive nice, and are using a blower making less than 9psi of boost, then your stock motor will probably survive for a long time, maybe as long or longer as your stock motor depending on your driving style and conditions.
The problems with questions regarding a motor's durability is that, why would you be installing a blower if you didn't want to use the extra power that you'd be making, at least once in a while? It can be awful tempting to push down on the gas pedal a lil' harder while listening to that blower whine winding up.
Let us know if you have any more questions.
Ben

Old 08-05-2002, 05:27 PM
jberylecrider
Senior User
supercharger on a 5.8

Is there a charger that is built for very low RPM boost's ?

Why do all these kick in around 2500 - 3000 then supply power up from there. I want one that is from Idle - 2500 rpms.

Quick Reply: supercharger on a 5.8