supercharger on a 5.8

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2002, 06:53 PM
jberylecrider
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
supercharger on a 5.8

Ok, I know that a twin screw type is the typical blower with 2 carbs & a scoop sittin on top of it, all pokin out of the hood on a old muscle car. That setup wont fit in my truck.

I know a centrifcal charger is just a little unit that bolts on like an alternator on brackets and runs off your belt system.

but what is a "roots style" charger? I mean what does it look like?
Will it work on my truck? Its not a huge unit like the twin screw is is it?

Old 08-06-2002, 08:21 PM
Lightning2Fast
Senior User
supercharger on a 5.8

the roots is the style on the older cars using a carb. in my earlier post i meant to say that you should use a twin screw. there are really no roots style blowers available for you. the twin screw is a good oem looking application for a fuel injected engine. very easy to install too. did i clean up any misconceptions or misunderstandings you had. i got your email earlier.

Old 08-06-2002, 08:59 PM
jberylecrider
Senior User
supercharger on a 5.8

Yes! Thank you!

So the roots style is the one thats huge and popin out of the hoods!
and it is a twin screw type blower.

The modern twin screw type super charger is much smaller, but still uses the same twin screws as the old blowers! I got it.

Thanks!

Old 08-06-2002, 11:33 PM
mustange70
Post Fiend
supercharger on a 5.8

>You will not see boost at idle. While the supercharger is always >spinning and moving air, it is not always producing boost in the >engine. Boost is a function of engine load and RPM. The majority of >the time your supercharger will not be producing boost. The >supercharger produces boost under high load conditions, which may >include heavy acceleration, going uphill, passing another vehicle or >under towing conditions. Superchargers offer the power you need on >demand, the reminder of the time the engine is working just like a >normally aspirated engine.

Is this true for turbos to? Based on what you have said here would youu be able to use an electric motor(spinning the approaite speed) to power a super charger? (-this motor would spin at a constant speed all the time when the vehicle is in drive and it would have a controller so you could control the amount of boost need)

Cody, Coutts Alberta

82' Flareside: zoom zoom doesn't even begin to describe it, 2/4 Drop, Soon to have 325hp 351 Clevo (maybe more,in a 3600lb truck)Backed by a C6 with a 2000 rpm stall and a 3.50 9 incher, American Racing AR-23 (series 23) wheels, Upgraded interior, Sony Xplod stereo

Old 08-06-2002, 11:43 PM
jberylecrider
Senior User
supercharger on a 5.8

I would think that you would need to make that electric motor spin at the same speed of the engines RPM, otherwise you'll be creating too much or too little boost at differant RPMs. You'll have to use an adjustable electric motor that sences your engines RPM speed and spins at the same rate. There is a post about this in the general topic section. Check it out.

And no, turbo works differant, it doesn't run off of your RPMs it is a turbine that is puched by your exhaust fumes.

Old 08-06-2002, 11:57 PM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
supercharger on a 5.8

Look at #####.com they have a pic of what the kenne bell looks like installed. Don't worry it fits under the hood ontop of the engine!

Primary rig is Green Thunder:
95' F-150 XLT 4x4, 302, 5 spd, MSD 6A, Flowmaster American Thunder Exhaust, Sunroof, Clear corners w/ Diamond headlights, CD player with 2 10" subs and some 32" BFG Muds .

Check out my Gallery for a look-see.

Then theres:
99' Mustang GT 4.6L
88' F-250 Heavyduty 4x4 351/c6
95' Mercury Cougar 4.6L V-8
80' E-350 300/6 with a
3 spd column shifter. Weighs around 7,000lbs w. 65mph top speed, who wants to race me!

Old 08-06-2002, 11:58 PM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
supercharger on a 5.8

Thats super charger online.com w/o the spaces.

95' F-150 XLT 4x4, 302, 5 spd, MSD 6A, Flowmaster American Thunder Exhaust, Sunroof, Clear corners w/ Diamond headlights, CD player with 2 10" subs and some 32" BFG Muds .

Then theres:
99' Mustang GT 4.6L
80' E-350 300/6 with a
3 spd column shifter. Weighs around 7,000lbs w. 65mph top speed, who wants to race me!

Old 08-07-2002, 11:52 AM
jberylecrider
Senior User
supercharger on a 5.8

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 07-Aug-02 AT 01:13 PM (EST)]I was reading through the forums at superchargers online.com and they are talking about engines "detonating" from running a supercharger. what is this? Are they talking about their engine blowing up?

They say when you run a supercharger you have to run higher octane fuel and you have to retard your timing. Is all of this true?

I thought these kenne bell systems were pretty simple, just bolt on and go. Am I wrong? Help!

They are also saying that a better ignition system is a must when installing a super charger. Is this true?

Another question... My engine has 120,000 miles on it, Theres probably hardly any piston rings left. Does this mean that the boost will blow right through the topend and land in the oil pan? If so, then I have to assume that the engine will run worse and get way worse gas mileage. True?

Thanks guys.

Old 08-07-2002, 12:25 PM
StangMan
Senior User
supercharger on a 5.8

True, True, TRUE! Okay, let me try to explain. Detonation is something that happens in almost all engines at some point in time, usually during hot weather. What happens is that the fuel in the combustion chamber explodes or detonates before the spark plug fires. This sounds sorta like a rattling under the hood if your engine is experiencing mild detonation.
Severe detonation is when the fuel explodes with enough force that it can damage pistons, rods, cylinder bores, valves, etc. This is a bad thing.
You avoid severe detonation by running higher octane, which combusts at a higher temperature and is less likely to explode prematurely. Retarding timing also helps. MSD makes a module that retards timing in intervals based on the amount of boost that is being made.
Using an aftermarket ignition, such as MSD, is also a must because it throws a stronger spark to the plugs, allowing them to burn the increased amount of stuff in the combustion chambers more completely.

Finally, if you have reason to believe that your engine's piston rings are gone, forget running boost. Spend your money on a good engine rebuild. If you throw a blower on, it's just a waste of money, and a death wish for your engine.

Old 08-07-2002, 12:32 PM
StangMan
Senior User
supercharger on a 5.8

Sorry, didn't answer your last question real well. No, you won't blow "boost" into your oil pan. What you will see is a lot of oil being lost due to the worn rings, and you'll experience a lot of "blow-by", which has a way of moving oil in directions and places where you didn't think it could go, like back up the oil filler neck.:-staun

Like I said before, if your engine is burning oil now, forget the blower.

Old 08-07-2002, 12:33 PM
jberylecrider
Senior User
supercharger on a 5.8

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 07-Aug-02 AT 01:35 PM (EST)]Thank you, Thank you Mr. Stang!

So...with a blower add MSD ignition which will increase the HP potential, by making sure that ALL of the fuel gets burned.

About how much more HP does this supply? MSD I mean!

Its not burning oil at all! I just think it doesn't have as much compression as its supposed to.

Old 08-07-2002, 02:14 PM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
supercharger on a 5.8

Do a compression test to see where ur engine health stands, its very simple. Think about it like this, if you put a blower on there, it's going to wear out the engine faster, rebuild coming soon. It's not a waste of money because you can rebuild the engine with stronger internals made for a supercharger, put the supercharger back on, even stroke it, and have an engine that'll take a supercharger for 100k miles if built right.

Then theres:
99' Mustang GT 4.6L
80' E-350 300/6 with a

Old 08-07-2002, 02:26 PM
jberylecrider
Senior User
supercharger on a 5.8

From what you just said, superchargers do wear out a engine faster than normal. You said that with a proper rebuild then the engine will take a supercharger for 100,000. Well without a supercharger a 351 will last a lot longer than that. I am confused now man...

Everybody on here has spent a lot of time assuring people that superchargers do not wear out an engine, its the driving habits that people have after getting so much more HP & Torque. Which is it?

What is the truth behind these machines? I do not want to put one on if I am gonna have to rebuild my engine after 20,000 miles. If this is the case then if you put a supercharger on a brand new truck, will the engine still be running strong after 120,000 miles?

Boy oh boy this is confusing!

So, if a persons driving habits are good and stay good, does 5-6psi of boost cause premature engine wear resulting in a rebuild half way through the engines would-be stock life?

Thanks.

Old 08-07-2002, 02:53 PM
jberylecrider
Senior User
supercharger on a 5.8

Another question...

I am gonna put MSD ignition on my truck, there are so many differant setups available, do I have to get the timing retard control?

With the kenne bell 6psi twin srew do I have to retard the timing, and do I have to run higher octane?

Thanks guys!

Old 08-07-2002, 03:09 PM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
supercharger on a 5.8

Yes you do have to retard the timing on the kenne bell 6psi kit. The msd unit would be a good choice, but i'm not sure of the details on that. If the engine is built for it, it will take it over 100k miles, our engines were not intended to have one, so if you are very hard on it, you will cause premature engine wear, how much, is the thing i don't know. Could be not much more then stock, could be alot more then stock, i don't know. You need a compression test before you start thinking about a supercharger. You need to find out how good of a condition your engine is in. Also, get the oil pressure checked, or check it yourself. Those two tests will give you a good idea of the health of your engine. I would assume that it's marginal. If you are constantly reving it up with hard acceleration or having 6psi of boost most of the time at high rpms, then it'll wear out faster. Under 2k rpm it will drive like a stock truck. You will also need a chip for the speed density system. I debated putting a supercharger on mine with 85k miles on it, but i'm going to hold off until it needs to be rebuilt and I can put the stronger parts in it to accept the supercharger better. I will also probably put a stroker kit in it.

Then theres:
99' Mustang GT 4.6L
80' E-350 300/6 with a

Quick Reply: supercharger on a 5.8