Can I use "Canoila oil"

Old 07-02-2007, 01:42 PM
tamte65
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I use "Canoila oil"

Could I just throw "canola oil, normal cooking oil" ($5 gallon) as an additive to my tank? Or is it going to screw up something? Should it be mixed with maybe DK before throwing into tank?
Because here you can't buy the right bio
Just wondering if that could be a nice additive. One gallon makes ~3.5% maybe should throw in two (7%).

Old 07-02-2007, 05:23 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Read this post, around post #7 or 8 is what your looking for

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...made-fuel.html

Old 07-02-2007, 08:16 PM
FN74
Elder User
Originally Posted by tamte65
Could I just throw "canola oil, normal cooking oil" ($5 gallon) as an additive to my tank? Or is it going to screw up something? Should it be mixed with maybe DK before throwing into tank?
Because here you can't buy the right bio
Just wondering if that could be a nice additive. One gallon makes ~3.5% maybe should throw in two (7%).
In short, Yes you can. But only if the mixture is carefully controlled, and you use new oil. One gallon of new Canola per tank of diesel will do nothing but help your engine run quieter, smoother, and even smell a little better. However, if you plan to go much more than that, then you need to look into either a WVO conversion, or making bio.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:15 AM
mongo75
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tamte- lemme drive this home for ya- if you decide to get a WVO system- you need to get with Jason (FN74) I don't even have one of his systems, but I am a definite advocate. His customer service is beyond reproach- he answered my emails IIRC on Christmas Day last year!! Awesome guy

Old 07-04-2007, 09:12 AM
Flea
Elder User
Also, check out Golden Fuel systems in my sig. I like their support and their product as well. It makes sense and they are knowledgable.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:14 PM
thedaddycat
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FN74
In short, Yes you can. But only if the mixture is carefully controlled, and you use new oil. One gallon of new Canola per tank of diesel will do nothing but help your engine run quieter, smoother, and even smell a little better. However, if you plan to go much more than that, then you need to look into either a WVO conversion, or making bio.
Does it have to be canola oil or will any new vegetable oil like Wesson oil, Mazola corn oil, olive oil, etc work? I currently add 4 oz. of Diesel Kleen at every fill up(I switch to PS in cold weather), which is about 23-25 gallons since I usually fill the tank when I get down to about 1/4 on the fuel gage. If I understand correctly, the veggie oil adds lubricity hence the additive is not necessary.

Would it be acceptable to add one gallon of new veggie oil every other fill and add the DK on alternate fills? I wouldn't want to get the ratio of VO to #2 too high by adding it every time and cause problems.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:14 PM
tamte65
Senior User
Originally Posted by FN74
This was exactly was I was looking for, new Canola. You can by the Canola gallon $5 from Wally.
Cheaper than DK, and living here on "the hell on earth" place temp wise (~100+ *F) it should not make any issue with the glycerine.
Of course you should not do this when it is colder.

I'm happy with this answer, Thanks FN. As I'm just looking to throw in one gallon per tank (29g).

Only thing is I have to do it so that my wife doesn't see! I'm using all the cooking oil... And after all the mods done to the truck, now the idiot is pouring the cooking oil into the tank!

Search this Thread