Front Brakes - Stop the pulsating!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 07:44 AM
Smokin'
Smokin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Brakes - Stop the pulsating!

Hey Guys,

So common symtom here, but curious what others have tried to cure the problem.

I have the forever famous pulsating superduty front brakes, and after a year of this crap it's finally driving me nuts. My brake expert tells me the only way to relieve this problem is by replacing my fronts with top quality stuff.

I think I remember reading somewhere that caliper pins are often blamed for this.

The front brakes are fine, truck stops great. I'm wondering what brakes you guys have tried and if anyone has a diagram of the front brake setup specifically the caliper pin setup. What are the BEST possible brakes I can get?

Old 05-21-2007, 07:58 AM
Alpine6
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<TABLE id=DataGrid1 style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 rules=all border=1><TBODY><TR style="FONT-SIZE: smaller; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5"><TD>Caliper Slide Pins - Front (Updated)</TD><TD>2C3Z-2C150-AA</TD><TD>Ford</TD><TD>99-03</TD><TD>$16.14 @ www.powerstrokeshop.com</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE> for the new pins.

I just did my brakes a few thousand miles ago. I used NAPA pads and rotors. I'm happy w/ them, but I live in Indiana where it's flat and open (at least where I live). I don't do a lot of pulling either.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:23 AM
cangim
Postmaster
THe brake pins are notorious, I just did all my brakes, order a complete set of ebay for my pre 99, slotted rotor and new pads all around, was 360 or so. Anyrate, my 99, the rotors where definately below the min discard thickness, so I'd measure yours first before you decide to keep them.

this is the guy I ordered mine from, I am very happy with what I recieved:
http://motors.search.ebay.com/search...ge=search&fgtp

Last edited by cangim; 05-21-2007 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:39 AM
guzzle92
Posting Guru
The front brake components on an early 99 are not the same as the 99 1/2+. The newer style caliper pins, ect. will not work on the early 99's calipers.

You can upgrade the calipers and rotors to the newest units and with some quality aftermarket rotors and pads you can eliminate the brake pulsations.

Expensive? somewhat
Worth it? definately!

Old 05-21-2007, 08:40 AM
PSDLOVER
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I feel your pain

I recently had this problem and pulling as well and brought the truck in to the brake shop which revealed that one of the calipers had been malfunctioning and there was a vast wear difference between the two. They were rebuilt there (one malfunctioning piston but both must be done) and all pads replaced. Cost: about $600. But I really need good brakes towing the fifth thru the mountains in the summer.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:10 AM
tamte65
Senior User
Originally Posted by Alpine6
<TABLE id=DataGrid1 style="BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 rules=all border=1><TBODY><TR style="FONT-SIZE: smaller; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5"><TD>Caliper Slide Pins - Front (Updated)</TD><TD>2C3Z-2C150-AA</TD><TD>Ford</TD><TD>99-03</TD><TD>$16.14 @ www.powerstrokeshop.com</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>for the new pins.

I just did my brakes a few thousand miles ago. I used NAPA pads and rotors. I'm happy w/ them, but I live in Indiana where it's flat and open (at least where I live). I don't do a lot of pulling either.
Is this for only front axel? But still for two calipers?

Old 05-21-2007, 09:56 AM
Smokin'
Smokin
Originally Posted by guzzle92
The front brake components on an early 99 are not the same as the 99 1/2+. The newer style caliper pins, ect. will not work on the early 99's calipers.

You can upgrade the calipers and rotors to the newest units and with some quality aftermarket rotors and pads you can eliminate the brake pulsations.

Expensive? somewhat
Worth it? definately!
Well red is an early '99... so my best bet is to convert to newer style calipers and rotors?

I suppose i'll just take it in and be prepared to replace them. I'll have the bro order the best quality stuff he can get.

Why is it that 99% of all problems require MONEY to obtain a suitable solution. OK so i'm slow in learning THAT lesson.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:48 AM
tamte65
Senior User
Originally Posted by Smokin'
Well red is an early '99... so my best bet is to convert to newer style calipers and rotors?

I suppose i'll just take it in and be prepared to replace them. I'll have the bro order the best quality stuff he can get.

Why is it that 99% of all problems require MONEY to obtain a suitable solution. OK so i'm slow in learning THAT lesson.
You have chosen this when you bought the Ford
It is a trembling work truck, if you want luxury, you have to spend some honey to upgrade it
I knew this when I bought my baby and was prepared for the continous money flow
It is similar than a "real baby", it just needs more and more money while it gets older
But this truck is easier in a way, if you truly have enough, you can sell it
But for me this Ford is hobby, you can't explain the money spent, to your wife otherwise

Old 05-21-2007, 12:03 PM
miker67
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is a TSB out that covers upgrading from the early 99 to the late 99 style calipers and rotors. In it, it states that haveing a mixture of components (pre and post) can cause shudder when braking. It is possible a mechanic has installed a mish mash of parts from both styles.

In lieu of that, it is most likely the pins and time for a good rebuild.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:19 PM
guzzle92
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by miker67
There is a TSB out that covers upgrading from the early 99 to the late 99 style calipers and rotors. In it, it states that haveing a mixture of components (pre and post) can cause shudder when braking. It is possible a mechanic has installed a mish mash of parts from both styles.

In lieu of that, it is most likely the pins and time for a good rebuild.
This is correct. Replacing the calipers and rotors would not be the end of it, as it would also require new hubs and brake pads.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:02 PM
cangim
Postmaster
I had to pull one slide pin out and clean it up real well, then I pulled all the rest out as well and relubed with with some brake grease. All slide nice now. You could do a little work and make sure all the pins slide, I am willing to bet a couple are stuck and this is where the pulsating comes from. when the rotor is warped and trys to runout in a frozen caliper it will cause it to pulsate. I don't really think you need to spend gobs of dough to replace everything. Pull it apart and see what needs and what is good. For me, new rotors and pads, and some time to clean out the slide pins and clean off the pistons with a tooth brush. Now it stops much better, the rotors are zinc plated and look awesome through the wheels. I am sure if you need new slide pins, ford will have them, just not sure on the price.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:14 PM
tamte65
Senior User
Originally Posted by cangim
I had to pull one slide pin out and clean it up real well, then I pulled all the rest out as well and relubed with with some brake grease. All slide nice now. You could do a little work and make sure all the pins slide, I am willing to bet a couple are stuck and this is where the pulsating comes from. when the rotor is warped and trys to runout in a frozen caliper it will cause it to pulsate. I don't really think you need to spend gobs of dough to replace everything. Pull it apart and see what needs and what is good. For me, new rotors and pads, and some time to clean out the slide pins and clean off the pistons with a tooth brush. Now it stops much better, the rotors are zinc plated and look awesome through the wheels. I am sure if you need new slide pins, ford will have them, just not sure on the price.
Sorry to bother, but how much it needs to pull the pin out, just take tire off or tear the whole car into parts? Like the CC kit installation

Mine is not "pulsating" all the time. Just once a while and I'm wondering if the pins are dirty. My pads and rotators looks fine. And that's what the service guy told me too when the changed the oil and did some inspections.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:19 PM
miker67
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A quick down an dirty indicator of overall pin operation is uneven pad wear. If, on one side of the truck, the pads within a single caliper do not have the same rate of wear, then that is an indication that the pins are likely sticking. You can check this by just removing the tire and looking down into the caliper from the top.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:25 PM
tamte65
Senior User
Originally Posted by miker67
A quick down an dirty indicator of overall pin operation is uneven pad wear. If, on one side of the truck, the pads within a single caliper do not have the same rate of wear, then that is an indication that the pins are likely sticking. You can check this by just removing the tire and looking down into the caliper from the top.
Ok, thanks.
I'll be looking those next.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:27 PM
cangim
Postmaster
Does your pulsating come after hard braking or pro longed braking?

Quick Reply: Front Brakes - Stop the pulsating!