Won't crank hot?

Old 06-30-2007, 01:52 AM
82F100SWB
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Won't crank hot?

Well, this is an issue that I had forgotten about, as, I haven't driven my 460 truck in about 3 years...
Anyhow, since I've had it, with the timing set up properly, it won't spin over once it gets to operating temperature, all you get is ruh....ruh....ruh....ruh... and then maybe it'll pick up a bit of speed and fire... Back off the timing, and it'll spin over no problem, but, be prepared for it to backfire through the carb if you look too hard at the pedal and generally not run very great(no power etc, as to be expected by timing that's waaay out to lunch.)
I've never had the heads off, but, it was supposed to be rebuilt to stock, so, it's an 8.0:1 engine, not exactly something hard to spin.
It's been so long now that I forget what my solution was when it was the dd, I know I didn't get out and adjust the timing every time I needed to start it hot.
Since I've had it, I've had a couple different starters on it(replaced because of failures, not to try and fix this) I added a heat wrap to the starter when I added the headers 3 years ago, to no effect, it is no worse than it was with the manifolds, but, not any better either. Last summer, I did intake/headers/cam, put in a new distributor, and a straight up timing set. Again, no change in the hot start issue. I've tried a couple different DS-II boxes, just in case the start retard was not working, but, it's never made any difference.

The only thing I haven't tried is a gear reduction starter, but, with 8.0:1, there should be no need for that.
Any ideas other than a gear drive starter?

Old 06-30-2007, 10:21 AM
wizzard351
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ihad the same problem till i made new battery wire's out of 00 welding cable. i do believe ford didnt put heavy enuff cable on some of there products.with a small cable thats old and green down under the coating youll get to much voltage drop before the starter

Old 06-30-2007, 11:44 AM
Bear 45/70
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The charging system being weak can cause this along with a not big enough battery. But I too think the cables are probably the problem. Change all 3, battery to solenoid, solenoid to starter and battery to ground. Make sure the main ground goes to the engine block and all connections are clean and tight.

Search this Thread