Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Where's the Northwest Passage?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 03:48 PM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where's the Northwest Passage?

There's probably not many who care where ernesteugene is, but I'm sure there's at least several who'd like to tell him where to go. Well, now's your chance! All summer the wife and I planned our annual 10 month road trip to include a 3 month visit of the Reno/Lake Tahoe area. After stopping by a local truck stop for 4 new trailer tires (I'll give my method for adjusting trailer brakes later), we left Hagerstown, MD and towed for 2 days in 100 F to arrive at the Jct of I-80 & I-69. The TV showed the Lake was still on fire, and we also remembered that after any event involving damage to a large number of houses, all the local RV parks are crowded with roving insurance adjusters followed by gypsy workers. We discovered this phenomenon one year when we pulled into a town shortly after a big hail storm and couldn't find a spot to park. Anyway we decided to head due north, and 300 miles later we're in Mackinaw City, MI.

We're not sure where to go next, but we do know that we're losing our spot here on July 2 because a big car show + the 4th has every campground within 100 miles booked up in advance. On another thread here, https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/626043-203-thermostats-heat-and-psd-efficiency-the-rest-of-the-story-3.html I mentioned the possibility of just taking old US 2 all the way to the Pacific Ocean, and got a little travel advice column going. I thought I'd repeat those inputs here, and start a new thread that I'll update as we travel to parts unknown assuming my cell internet connection is available.
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Ernest have you ever been to the Pacific NW? There is no better place to be on Earth than in July, August and September. Daily high temps average around 80 and the night time lows are about 68. And no rain. Or at most a sprinkle and then it stops.
Some of the most beautiful scenery to fill your eyes and good clean air too.
There's a ton of great RV parks around here that you can stay in.
Originally Posted by ernesteugene
Thanks for the tip, but I know all about promised cool weather. We spent Jul, Aug, and Sept there in 2004 during your all time record July heat wave. Got some rain which didn't seem like much to me, but the flash floods were everywhere because none of the storm drains had gotten their annual cleaning yet. Visited the Boeing plant, and no one was home, the place was deserted as everyone had been laid off. Then we had 1 week of decent weather in Anacortes, and then your stupid winter storms started about 2 months early, and by the time we got to Gold Beach the trailer came close to blowing over on its side.

Yes, we know all about your nice weather this time of year, and might even come back for some more. We're in the UP of MI now, and are considering the possibility of a trip west on US 2. I have no idea how that might work for towing, but it would be something different to see how far west we can get from here without going on an interstate.
Well, at least we don't get tornados.
Never heard of Gold Beach, perhaps you meant Long Beach? It will never warm up past 75 degrees even in August, so if you want to stay cool, go there.
You can drive out on the beach if you want, but I wouldn't recommend it without 4x4. The sand is ok in the wet zone, but you must cross the dry zone to get there and it's pretty soft.

US 2 is an excellent route if you want scenery. Heading west from Spokane you will go through a lot of wheat fields and very small towns. I've done that route in the past and very much recommend it. You may want to divert a bit North and check out Grand Coulee dam. It's the largest concrete structure in N. America and is quite a sight. The MASSIVE generators can be viewed from the observation platform along with a few displays that people built in the past that explains electricity and how it works. Things like hand cranking a generator to light a bulb, etc.
Years ago I was fortunate enough to be a participant in a tour that took me down into one of the turbine housings that actually drive the generator. It looked exactly like the inside of an exhaust housing on a turbocharger except it was big enought to stand in. My jaw was dragging in the dirt the whole time!
If you are there at night time they have a laser show that is directed onto the spillway.
Proceeding west from Wenachee it starts to get crowded and the freeway ends before you get to Leavenworth. Leavenworth is a fun little tourist town if you can find a place to park your rig. Bavarian themed town filled with all kinds of tourist traps. There's a few RV camps in the area and a KOA on the east end of town, but I don't think they can really accommodate anything larger than 30'. It's pretty tight getting into that one. I'm not very impressed with KOA in general, not a very good value compared to the nice places.

Ok, proceeding West from Leavenworth, the road is two lane all the way to the West side of the pass, but it's plenty wide and VERY scenic. Halfway up Tumwater canyon on the South side there is an old dam with a fish ladder that I like to stop at and try and spot a fish. At the end of the canyon road it opens up quite a bit, but the scenery doesn't dry up. It's a beautiful place.
You'll find a rest area about ten miles outside of the end of Tumwater canyon on the North side of the road. It's the last one for a long time, so I recommend stopping. If not to take advantage of the facilities, at least to turn off the engine and take a walk around and smell the alpine air laced with evergreen trees.

Now a bit of trivia, one mile west of that rest area, on the opposite side of the highway you will find a driveway going into the woods on the South side of the highway. There is a small housing developement back there, all on 5 acre lots. For 25 years my Dad and Stepmother lived back there in a very nice house that they built together. That house has been sold nearly ten years ago now, but I have spent a lot of time in this area of the country for obvious reasons.
From there you'll be climbing up to Steven's Pass. The West side is 6% grade with a "dead mans" curve at the bottom. The yellow safe speed sign at the bottom of the hill is 40 mph where you will go around the corner and then proceed down some more for a few more miles and then it flattens out.
If you feel like stopping at Deception Falls for a look around, there is a nice trail that goes down under the bridge with a good platform for viewing the falls right in front of you. It's kind of small but worth it if you like natural beauty.

After that, it's mostly a highway through the woods and will bring you to Monroe, WA where the traffic jams begin.
One thing about the PNW, is that it's not hot enough to overtax your cooling system and that's how I'm avoiding a thread highjack, LOL.

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%">If you really want to get scenic go US 20 out of Winthrop, but don't do it pulling the trailer. It's passible with the trailer but you'll be concerned about the axles when you finally arrive at Marblemount. Safe travels where ever you end up.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Never heard of Gold Beach
We were on the OR coast by then!
Originally Posted by John311t
Ernest where are you at in the UP? That my winter playground!
Our next stop is probably a spot on the lake 6 mi east of Marquette. Which is the best road to cut up from US 2 to get there, 117 or 77, they both look about the same on our map?

Old 06-29-2007, 04:13 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I might suggest the Lewis and Clark National Historic Trail...you could pick it up at Bismarck, ND (due west of you on I-94). Here is a map with lots of places to see and stay:

http://h1.ripway.com/nlemerise/Ford/lewisclark.pdf

Old 06-29-2007, 05:06 PM
Benny2002
Posting Guru
Im from Idaho, what do you need to know?

Old 06-29-2007, 05:18 PM
maevans
Posting Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ernesteugene, While your in the U.P. stop by and check out the Tahquamenon falls, upper and lower. there pretty nice to see.

Old 06-29-2007, 05:26 PM
Benny2002
Posting Guru
If you want to pull a couple of REAL grades...Theres "Whitebird pass" in Northern Idaho, and the always summer truck killer "Blue Mountains" coming into oregon from central/northern Idaho. If you want touristy stuff in the Pacific NW, let me know.

Old 06-29-2007, 05:27 PM
Benny2002
Posting Guru
If you can pull 15-20K up whitebird @ 55mph, I will fly home and shake your hand. LOL

Old 06-29-2007, 07:44 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Sorry guys, but what is the U.P. area?

Old 06-29-2007, 07:48 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Upper Pennsula. The part of Michigan above the Mackinac Bridge.

Home of the Yoopers.
http://www.dayoopers.com/whatwher.html

Pop

Last edited by SpringerPop; 06-29-2007 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:48 PM
maevans
Posting Guru

Sorry guys, but what is the U.P. area?
Kwik

The upper peninsula of michigan. AKA-Gods country.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:52 PM
piotrsko
Elder User
I wouldn't be changing my plans unless you really want to.

Fire is mostly out unless the tourists go and restart a new one this weekend or over the 4 th. It was 3100 acres down near stateline (south shore) and did not seem to mess up much of TAHOE except for the ash rain and smoke. All the pretty stuff is still pretty.

Y'all come on up Hyar You will be welcome

Old 06-29-2007, 09:31 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
All I can add is stay out of TX & the central plains area!! That is unless you've installed the pontoon or submarine option on your rig. It's really bad around here. Fortunately, I live well above any creeks or rivers -- if *I* have flooding, there will be folks down the road from me under 40' of water. Thinking about an ark for my next mod...

Old 06-29-2007, 10:04 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Thanks guys. I'll have to visit Yooperland someday.

Old 06-29-2007, 10:58 PM
dmueller71
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I stumble upon a great 4th of July festival up in Escanaba, MI in the UP. As you work your way into WI. There is an indian reservation, and they have a whole list of waterfalls in the area if that's something you might be interested in.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:53 PM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
Dateline... Marquette, MI, Sunday, July 15, 2007, 9:45 PM!

We're still cooling (and I mean cooling) our heals in Marquette, MI, and we just signed up for our third week of this great sleeping weather, as the forecast is for more of the same, 50 F at night, and 70-75 during the day.

We just got back from our sunset walk across the road to the beach, and tonight I remembered to bring the camera. The pic is looking across Lake Superior just to the right of Marquette from our campground.

Attached Images  
Old 07-15-2007, 09:58 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Wow, I see no reason to be in a hurry to get out of there. Beautiful sunset.

Quick Reply: Where's the Northwest Passage?