6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Remanufactured Turbo Warranty Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 07:35 PM
TMDE
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remanufactured Turbo Warranty Replacement

03 F350,15K miles, purchased new, only driven when pulling, recently had CAC hose tear at the turbo charger, took to dealer and boost was out of spec. Service writer stated that if any corrosion found in turbo that it warrants a replacement. The dealership installed a reman turbo.
The turbo hose had previously been disconnected several times under warranty. Engine removal and reseal, 2 turbo pedastal replacements, and turbo Y pipe replacement also in an effort to get rid of my 1200-1500 rpm engine vibration. I think it was worn out from R&R.

Service writer told me that Ford had started using differrent metal compound to prevent corrosion but could not tell me what was different as it is proprietary information.

My questions are:
Did Ford improve the replacement remanufactured turbos?
Is a warranty replacement usually a rebuilt part?
The new turbo has turbo lag from dead stop where my other did not from new. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited by TMDE; 06-28-2007 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Correct spelling errors
Old 06-28-2007, 07:44 PM
msgtg
Post Fiend
Hmmm, I've got an 03 with the 6.0 but I drive the heck out of mine and haven't had any problems with the turbo...or at least yet. I'm at 46K miles. I'd be interested in seeing the answers you get.

Joe

Old 06-28-2007, 07:46 PM
WishIhada7.3
Laughing Gas
yes they re-designed the turbo in 04 and i believe the 03 turbo has less vanes and spooled a little quicker...also sounds awesome with exhaust on it...but new/reman turbo as much as you let it sit your gonna get lot rot again and continue to have more problems....the 03-07 6.0 with the VGT turbo was not meant to sit the only thing you could do is drive it atleast a couple times a week get a aftermarket turbo or trade it for a 08............

P.S welcome to the forum!!! theres alot of good info here.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:06 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by WishIhada7.3
trade it for a 08.............
Just curious, how is trading for an 08 6.4L going to help the VGT situation?

Old 06-28-2007, 08:09 PM
WishIhada7.3
Laughing Gas
surely they should have fixed/eliminated the problem by now(on the 6.4's).....after all the turbos they replaced on the 6.0's plus with his 5/100k running out soon its all gonna be out of his pocket so the new truck will give him a fresh warrenty...

Last edited by WishIhada7.3; 06-28-2007 at 08:11 PM.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:16 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Originally Posted by WishIhada7.3
surely they should have fixed/eliminated the problem by now(on the 6.4's).....after all the turbos they replaced on the 6.0's plus with his 5/100k running out soon its all gonna be out of his pocket so the new truck will give him a fresh warrenty...
Well time will tell if the updated turbo on the 6.0 fixed the problem in the long run. The 6.4 has a VGT turbo just like the 6.0 so if the updates on the 6.0 turbo did not fix the problem, they will be having the same issues on the 6.4. As for buying a new truck to avoid buying a turbo out of pocket, you can buy a lot of turbos for the cost of a new truck.

Old 06-29-2007, 01:34 AM
Nitrous
Elder User
I just had a remanufactured turbo installed last week on my 03 also. My last remanufactured turbo lasted exactly one year and 18 days. If it failed 18 days earlier I wouldn't have had to pay the deductible again. The dealer said it had rusted vanes so it could not be cleaned. I am surprised because though I only drive the truck about twice a week, I make sure to hit full boost (25-28 lbs) a couple of times when I do drive it. I use Diesel Kleen, I change the oil frequently, I don't idle it excessively.. I'm very surprised by this one. Even so, I still love my truck.

Old 06-29-2007, 02:05 AM
darsey715
Senior User
Originally Posted by Nitrous
I just had a remanufactured turbo installed last week on my 03 also. My last remanufactured turbo lasted exactly one year and 18 days. If it failed 18 days earlier I wouldn't have had to pay the deductible again. The dealer said it had rusted vanes so it could not be cleaned. I am surprised because though I only drive the truck about twice a week, I make sure to hit full boost (25-28 lbs) a couple of times when I do drive it. I use Diesel Kleen, I change the oil frequently, I don't idle it excessively.. I'm very surprised by this one. Even so, I still love my truck.
that is a shady dealer. Im sure they meant the exhaust side of the turbo itself rusted but still I doubt it was THAT bad they couldn't clean it and HAD to charge you $100 again. I mean, it was only a year. I suggest trying a different dealer or if it happens again specifically ask they clean it if they are gonna try and charge you $100 bucks for an ongoing problem. I don't think the vanes themselves can rust.

Old 06-29-2007, 02:21 AM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Originally Posted by darsey715
that is a shady dealer. Im sure they meant the exhaust side of the turbo itself rusted but still I doubt it was THAT bad they couldn't clean it and HAD to charge you $100 again. I mean, it was only a year. I suggest trying a different dealer or if it happens again specifically ask they clean it if they are gonna try and charge you $100 bucks for an ongoing problem. I don't think the vanes themselves can rust.
The $100 deductible is charged if they clean the turbo or replace it as it was outside the warranty and fell within the rules of the 5/100K warranty which has a $100 deductible per visit.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:38 AM
oldwo
New User
Did Ford change something in the turbos to prevent the rust/corrosion issue?

Old 06-29-2007, 07:57 AM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by oldwo
Did Ford change something in the turbos to prevent the rust/corrosion issue?
Not so much on the 6.0, they pretty much are the same. The vanes dont rust, the unison ring controlling the vanes do. The 6.4 turbo, while having one "side" vgt, uses an electronic actuator instead of the oil operated vgt solenoid. Whenever you first turn on the key, the actuator cycles the full travel to keep everything free. This doesn't mean it can't happen, but it is less likely. The vgt turbo also is redesigned from the unison ring days.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:41 AM
Nitrous
Elder User
Originally Posted by vloney
Not so much on the 6.0, they pretty much are the same. The vanes dont rust, the unison ring controlling the vanes do. The 6.4 turbo, while having one "side" vgt, uses an electronic actuator instead of the oil operated vgt solenoid. Whenever you first turn on the key, the actuator cycles the full travel to keep everything free. This doesn't mean it can't happen, but it is less likely. The vgt turbo also is redesigned from the unison ring days.
Is there anything at all that can be done to prevent the rusting? I'm considering putting a rubber cap over the tailpipe in the winter when the truck is parked for several days at a time. Does that sound like a waste of time or am I on to something?

Old 06-29-2007, 11:46 AM
vloney
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is there anything at all that can be done to prevent the rusting? I'm considering putting a rubber cap over the tailpipe in the winter when the truck is parked for several days at a time. Does that sound like a waste of time or am I on to something?
One product of combustion is moisture. Its this source that causes the rust and corrosion. If you park it when its hot, there should be enough heat to evaporate all the moisture. Short trips, where everything doesn't have the chance to get hot, is what hurts.

Old 06-29-2007, 12:06 PM
Nitrous
Elder User
Originally Posted by vloney
One product of combustion is moisture. Its this source that causes the rust and corrosion. If you park it when its hot, there should be enough heat to evaporate all the moisture. Short trips, where everything doesn't have the chance to get hot, is what hurts.
Thanks for the reply. I actually had to do more short trips than I wanted to last winter. I guess I will just have to do something about that, which in a small town where nothing is over two miles away, can sometimes be hard to avoid. Maybe I should high idle it for longer before I go out?

Old 06-29-2007, 03:36 PM
darsey715
Senior User
Thanks for the reply. I actually had to do more short trips than I wanted to last winter. I guess I will just have to do something about that, which in a small town where nothing is over two miles away, can sometimes be hard to avoid. Maybe I should high idle it for longer before I go out?
High idling it won't move the vanes open and close. I see you have an 03, there is a flash that moves the unison ring which opens and closes the vanes from 15% to 85% at idle or while in park. It is the 06e17. I recommend it. I haven't had any issues with it even though if you search 06e17 in this forum there will be what seems like a lot of bad press about it.

Quick Reply: Remanufactured Turbo Warranty Replacement