Biodiesel and the 6.0 PSD

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 04:14 PM
tj.brewster
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been running B100 almost all the time unless on a trip and cant get it. 227K, stock truck, and running great. Finally had to replace HPOP after 221K.

Just finished 3500 mi with the HSS and the truck starts better and idles smoother. Have to wait to see cold weather starts. it wont get cold here for another 4 months.

NO issues whatsoever, with commercial Bio so far.

TJ

Last edited by tj.brewster; 08-03-2007 at 04:15 PM. Reason: more info
Old 08-03-2007, 07:09 PM
Frankenbiker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BmanRRT
so why does ford only say 5% biodiesel is ok? ad can you buy comercial biodiesel in phoenix, az?
Fuel quality problems. The ASTM standard for diesel fuel is fairly tight, and the PSD is notoriously finicky about fuel quality.

Before considering conversion quality issues, there's too much variability in pure biodiesel feed stocks to meet the standards; some feedstocks get close, some are far away. This is based in the fact that biodiesel feedstocks have no aromatics (i.e. ring-type molecular structure) in the chemical mix; they're only long-chain (i.e. straight molecules -- parrafins) hydrocarbons, which is why they don't like cold temps. Some pure parrafins (in fuel) are known to gel at 32* or higher. Then, after all that is settled, you have to look at water content, which is often related to the conversion process.

5% is the most that the ASTM standard will tolerate before falling out of spec.

The disconnect here is that most state and federal tax breaks don't start until 20%, and so most retailers aren't willing to carry it in lieu of, or in addition to, pure petro diesel. Not to mention that the federal and state tax men don't like folks who sell biodiesel without having collected state and federal motor fuels tax on it.

There are several things that will have to come together before everyone is happy with running higher percentages. First amont them is that ASTM will have to get off the fence on a bio standard (they're debating it right now), and then commercial conversion facilities will have a stationary target to hit. That will go a long way towards solving the quality issues, and then the manufacturers will get on board with a 20% standard. Some already have. It's just a matter of time for the rest of 'em to do so as well.

I've played with B20; that's about all you can get in TX without having to do a lot of extra footwork. The Detroit loves it. The PSD will tolerate it, but it's given me a few subtle hints that I should leave well enough alone until some of the quality issues have been addressed.

-blaine

Old 08-03-2007, 07:41 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
Here is the active standard for biodiesel ASTM D-6751-07a http://www.astm.org/cgi-bin/SoftCart...865+1186191688

Here is a link to the state fuel standards http://www.biodiesel.org/resources/fuelqualityguide/

The states is where the fuel quality issue is. For example here in Michigan ther is NO fuel quality standard for diesel fuels.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:40 PM
kennedyford
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blain

It is apparent that the powerstroke is curbing some benifits with the bio you are purchasing. Here is some info. My 7.3 and dads 6.0 loves it. The ford fuel filter is aprox 4 microns in the new 6.4s and lil larger in the 6.0 and 7.3. If commercial fuel is not kept within reasonable standards the glycerin or other materials tend to get into our fuel. Just like when we fill up at Flyin hook and the fuel tanker drops its fuel and stirs it up. There has been shown that Cali plants have had bad batches. Be right back with my conclusion.

Old 08-09-2007, 03:00 PM
haneym
New User
i filled up with some (dont remember the percentage, maybe 20%) b/c i stopped at a truck stop in ocala, fl last week and thats all they had. didnt notice any difference in my truck or the mileage i got. i was pizzed b/c it was a good bit (at least $0.10) more than normal diesel is around here. seems like i should get a discount for running something new and experimental that helps the environment.

they are putting in a huge biodiesel plant just down the street from my hunting club in South Carolina though so im guessing it will be popular up there and ill have to check it out. fixing to install my 50gal aux tank so ill be able to fill up there and drive for a while on it.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:38 PM
M. Kelly
Senior User
B20 in Lake City

haneym,

Next time your in Lake City, try First Coast Biofuel on Hwy 90.

I use there B20 ( They offer diffrent levels also) and it's always been cheaper than regualr diesel prices in Lake City or Jacksonville. Mike