How important is washing your bio?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 09:11 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I concur Rob. That just might save it for him. At the least it can't hurt, and just might make it useable.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:13 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, so what I'll do is take the 100 gals in my aux tank, and put it into a 14 gal drum I have laying around and put a bubbler in it for a couple of days and then draw bio from the top, leaving the last 3 inches or so. I guess I can do that till I've used up the whole 100 gals and then bring my money somewhere else.

It's funny, cause this guy swears his stuff is good, and he's been selling to a contracting company across the street from him to use in their Frieghtliner delivery and PSD trucks. He said they've never had a problem. I GOT a problem though, when I did the Dr. Pepper water wash method, and between the water (clear now) and bio (not as cloudy) there is "floaty" looking stuff- it looks like onion skin hanging off the bottle. I hope I'm describing it as best I can. ANYWAY, last night I took the bottle to the sink upside down, and drained off the water with a bit of bio to get it all out. I ran it through a coffee filter overnight into a plastic cup, and viola- this morning had crystal clear bio in the cup, and yellowish looking crap and water in the coffee filter.

I'm gonna run the stuff in the aux tank through a 2 micron whole house filter, then bubble it, and then back through the 2 mic filter into my main tank.

Don, so you think if I added like 2 gals water for 10 gals of bio and bubbled it, and then let it settle for 2 days, would that be a bad idea? Just trying to come up with a good solution to save my injectors, and my a$$- if the wife finds out my $100 saving could cost several thousand, I'm done

Thanks again Rob and Don!!

Old 06-18-2007, 01:21 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
don't add the water just bubble it for about 12 hrs turn off the bubbler and let it sit a couple of days

Old 06-18-2007, 02:25 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why not use magnesol to clean that BD

Old 06-18-2007, 04:45 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
Phy- how would I use Magnesol to clean it?

What would be more effective (bubbling or magnesol)? I almost said cheaper, but I don't want to skimp on my engine. I found out (unintentionally) that skimping can cause headaches down the road....

Old 06-18-2007, 04:52 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
Just did a search on washing with magnesol. Can I get away with washing my dirty bio at room temp?? Or would bubbling be as effective?

Thanks again everyone.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:59 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
OK- did some more research- Now I'm wondering if I can keep buying from this guy (@ $2 a gal) since I can't make my own (wife) and just wash it myself with Magnesol? Can I bubble it for 12 hours like Rob said, and then run a 2% by weight of Magnesol through the bio, and then filter it to 1 or 2 micron?

Do I have this all right??

Old 06-18-2007, 05:39 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by mongo75
OK- did some more research- Now I'm wondering if I can keep buying from this guy (@ $2 a gal) since I can't make my own (wife) and just wash it myself with Magnesol? Can I bubble it for 12 hours like Rob said, and then run a 2% by weight of Magnesol through the bio, and then filter it to 1 or 2 micron?

Do I have this all right??
Yes, that would work. The only differance between Rob and I is I recover my Methanol before cleaning with Magnesol, and Rob "bubbles" the Methanol out before cleaning with Magnesol. The end result is still the same......remove the Methanol and the soap drops out of suspension, then clean with Magnesol.

You could make a deal with your supplier to reduce the price to $1.50 per gallon and you'll pick up his WVO on your way to work? That would help defray the cost of cleaning YOUR biodiesel

Last edited by fabmandelux; 06-18-2007 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:44 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
Sweet, thanks ONCE AGAIN Don, I'm feeling better about this already. OK, last question- where should I get Magnasol from? Should I get it online (and from who) or just try to get it from a restaraunt supply place. Remember I'm new!

Old 06-18-2007, 05:47 PM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
The only place to buy it right now [unless you want a semi-load, then call me ] is here: http://www.fryerpower.com/store/page1.htmlThis is where I buy mine.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:52 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
Sweet thanks!

Old 06-18-2007, 08:58 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Originally Posted by fabmandelux
Yes, that would work. The only differance between Rob and I is I recover my Methanol before cleaning with Magnesol, and Rob "bubbles" the Methanol out before cleaning with Magnesol. The end result is still the same......remove the Methanol and the soap drops out of suspension, then clean with Magnesol.
actually I am recovering as much of my methanol as I can but don't have a vacuum setup yet so just heating it in my reactor and venting through a condenser I setup then when it's still hot I put it into what used to be my wash tank and bubble it to get the last out and let it settle overnight.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:34 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
Well guys- I bubbled it for about 24 hours (just convienent to do so) and then let it settle another whole day. MAN! What a difference! I ran it through a 1 micron bag, and it is crystal clean. Thanks guys!

Old 06-22-2007, 08:44 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Good for you Danny! See, that wasn't hard, was it!

Old 06-22-2007, 09:21 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Now what I would do if it was me is scoop out the junk that will be sitting in the bottom of that barrel, put it in a bucket and take it back to the guy that sold you the diesel in the first place and ask him if he wants it back, cause thats the garbage he is leaving in his fuel, maybe he will see the light and realize how bad of a job he is actually doing (and if he doesn't I wouldn't recommend buying from him anymore)

Quick Reply: How important is washing your bio?