Wiring up airhorns with relays & switches

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 08:33 PM
71-4R3SONS
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wiring up airhorns with relays & switches

I would like to wire up my Hadley air horns so I can use them...

A) Air & OEM horns using steering wheel switch...(like the directions have it)

B) OEM horn only (airs switched off) w/wheel switch

C) Air horns only (oem switched off) w/wheel switch

OKAY... the instruction show placing a toggle switch between the air solenoid and the existing wire leads to the oem horns... this will allow to use activate the soleniod with the steering wheel but only with the oem horns honking too.

From the research I've been doing on FTE... can I place switchible relays (hooked up to small lighted toggles?) mounted in my dash.(the small toggles)

1) between the solenoid and existing horns (in the place of where the directions say place a toggle switch. So juice to the airs can be cut off yet keeping the oem horns operable.

2) in the existing line going to the oem horns after the air horn relay (#1 above) but before the oem horns to cut off the juice to the oem horns but not the airs.

I have NO IDEA how to do this... or what type of relays and toggles I need.
I am really good at reading directions and researching stuff so If I can get some help from an electric wiz out there in FTE land then I see no problems finding a solution to my "problem"

I appreciate the help!!!

Old 06-14-2007, 09:20 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,678 Likes on 1,356 Posts
See if this makes any sense. It should work for you. Since the horns are hooked to constant battery power, this keeps one of the relays from running down the battery.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:46 PM
71-4R3SONS
Elder User
Okay... I've been eyeballing the schematic for a few minutes... first a few questions (remember, the only dumb question is the question never asked... I'm a teacher/coach).
1) The SPDT switch... UP> airs only...MIDDLE>both airs & OEM... DOWN>oem horns only... yes?

2)do you have the time to explain about your comment about a relay running the battery down?

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!!! +++REPS TO YOU TOO!!!

Old 06-15-2007, 03:28 PM
Franklin2
1) The SPDT switch... UP> airs only...MIDDLE>both airs & OEM... DOWN>oem horns only... yes?
No, I missed that you wanted it that way. The way I have it is with a two position switch, one position air, the other OEM horns. I will have to fix that with different type switch.

[quote]2)do you have the time to explain about your comment about a relay running the battery down?[quote]
My first logical thought was to send 12v power to the selector switch, and the switch would activate the air relay or the OEM relay. One problem with that is the horns work with the ign key on or off, and we want to keep it that way(I assume). So if we did, then when the selected one or the other relays, the selected relay would be activated all the time, even with the key off. So that would be an extra little drain on the battery we would not want. If you look at the diagram, I am activating the coils of the relay with the horn 12v wire. So the relays never pull in unless the steering wheel button is pushed. What selects the relay that will work is the ground. If the relay coil has a ground, then it will activate. If it doesn't have a ground, the 12 volts will be there, but there will be no return path, so the coil will not activate.

Old 06-15-2007, 04:14 PM
71-4R3SONS
Elder User
I understand now after your lesson... the "circuit" is completed on the ground side with the SPDT switch...

Originally Posted by Franklin2
No, I missed that you wanted it that way. The way I have it is with a two position switch, one position air, the other OEM horns. I will have to fix that with different type switch.
The way I read your reply... you are going to fix (alter) your schematic to fit my needs?

I truly appreciate your help!!

... I tried to give you more rep points but it came up that I have to give others more "rep" before I can give you more... I guess I'll have to get reading in order to come back and give you more rep.

Old 06-15-2007, 04:22 PM
Franklin2

I am trying to upload the new diagram, but the gallery thing is having trouble. I don't know if it will suit your needs anyway. The only switch I could find that you could get your hands on easily is one from radio shack, which is a rotary 6 position, double pole switch, part number 275-1386. You would only need to use 3 of the positions.

All you need is a 3 position, double pole switch, if you can find one. We'll see if the diagram will come up later.

Last edited by Franklin2; 06-15-2007 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:33 PM
71-4R3SONS
Elder User
Many thanks again Dave!!

I look forward to the revised schematic!!

Old 06-16-2007, 09:32 AM
Franklin2
I still can't get the gallery to work. I sent you an email. Reply back to me and then I think I can email you and attach the other drawing.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:53 AM
71-4R3SONS
Elder User
Thanks Dave... I just sent you an email via FTE.

(ed)---just sent one through your YAHOO too.

Last edited by 71-4R3SONS; 06-16-2007 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:31 PM
Franklin2
The gallery is working again. Here's the other diagram.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:19 AM
71-4R3SONS
Elder User
So... (remember, I have degrees in Education, not Electricity) if I am reading the schematic... position 1 is air horns... position 2 is OEM horns and position 3 is both.
Right?

Once again, I can't thank you enough for the help you have provided. I am in the process of fabricating the mounts for the horns and I'll post pics when completed.

THANKS!!!!!

Old 06-24-2007, 03:20 PM
Franklin2
Yes, you are correct. I missed labeling the positions in the picture.

Old 06-24-2007, 03:44 PM
71-4R3SONS
Elder User
After I emailed this to you I thought I would post it here on FTE so it can be of some use to others like me. (electronic rookies).

Dave,

Another question... I hope you don't mind... I went out today and got the stuff from Radio Shack. The 2 pole-6 position rotary switch is a bit complex and I want to make sure I make all the correct connections.

There are 12 poles in a circular pattern that surrounds 2 poles. Are the two poles (inside the 12) where I connect the "85" lead from each relay (each relay being connected to a single pole) as shown in your diagram?... if so, does it matter which goes where?

and... for the ground wires that attach to the switch. I have the switch turned all the way to the "left"(counter clockwise) and can see where the pole makes contact with one "outer" pole and each time I click once to the "right" (clockwise) it makes contact with the next "outer"pole... it does this (makes contact) with 6 sequential outer posts... Do I use only posts 1 / 2 / 3? (4-5-6 not being used) What about posts 7-12? This is the part that confuses me and I do not want to screw it up.

As always... MANY THANKS!!! I look forward to your reply!

Old 07-03-2007, 09:05 PM
71-4R3SONS
Elder User
Dave,
I have all the parts now... I'm ready to tackle the wiring now... but I want to make sure I splice the correct "original horn wire" stated in the schematic you sent me...

Do I... A) splice the yellow/grn wire that leads to the oem horns (positive polarity) OR
B) splice the blue wire coming from the steering wheel oem horn button (it grounds the circuit).

Remember... I have a 2005 Excursion.

Thanks again!!!!

Old 07-03-2007, 10:47 PM
Franklin2
Cut the yellow green wire that goes directly to the horns and splice into those two wires that you end up with.

Quick Reply: Wiring up airhorns with relays & switches