Sponsored by: DP Tuner

siezed caliper (part 2)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 11:56 PM
mybigredford
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
siezed caliper (part 2)

a couple days ago i posted about a siezed caliper, and thanks to responses i got, now, yesterday i changed out the drivers front caliper, rotor and put new pads on both front brakes. now i have noticed that when i first went for a test drive that my truck was pulling to the right same as when i siezed the drivers side caliper and i thought oh great the passenger caliper is gone, but after a few miles everything feels good, no pulling and brakes work great.

but here is my concerns, i have noticed that the passenger side (the side i only put new pads on) after braking it seems that that side is quite a bit hotter than the side with the new rotor and caliper. any reasons why that would be, i didnt turn the rotor, just put new pads on. should i have turend the rotor? is it hotter because its grabbing a little more until the new rotor and pads break in?

also a very slow speeds like 5 mph or less it will but not allways pull a little to the right.

will all this go away after say 100 miles of driving, or should i take my rotor in and get it turned.

thanks for listening and answers.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:15 AM
Smokin'
Smokin
Originally Posted by mybigredford
should i have turend the rotor? is it hotter because its grabbing a little more until the new rotor and pads break in?

also a very slow speeds like 5 mph or less it will but not allways pull a little to the right.

will all this go away after say 100 miles of driving, or should i take my rotor in and get it turned.

thanks for listening and answers.
don't mean to burst your bubble, but as far as I know, SD rotors are nearly impossible to turn. You see, they are much larger than a standard rotor, and most turning machines cannot handle their width. Best bet would be to replace the other rotor as well. While it might not have siezed, its probably warped to heck. You'll notice more pulling and "loping" at slower speeds with a warped rotor because you can, well, "feel" that warped rotor pushing against the pads, because with a slower stop you are getting more of a rotation than you would with a quick stop. This can cause friction and may be the reason that side is getting hotter.

Last edited by Smokin'; 06-14-2007 at 12:18 AM.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:56 AM
mybigredford
Elder User
smokin- i dont understand, about a year ago i had both rotors replaces because i fried them towing a 5th wheel, i know my tire shop that i use can turn my rotors cause they were gonna when i fried the rotors, but they were rusted out too bad, so thats why i got two new ones, so the passenger side rotor is a year old, and i know it isnt warped because i dont have any shake/shimmy like i felt before, and two days ago when my drivers side caliper siezed my brakes worked good and smooth, but do you still think it could be warped and causeing the heat?

Old 06-14-2007, 07:40 AM
guzzle92
Posting Guru
Warpage/excessive runout will cause shimmy when doing high speed/panic braking and noticible pultations when slow braking.

I would give it a few miles to seat the pads.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:20 AM
Smokin'
Smokin
Originally Posted by mybigredford
smokin- i know my tire shop that i use can turn my rotors cause they were gonna when i fried the rotors, and two days ago when my drivers side caliper siezed my brakes worked good and smooth, but do you still think it could be warped and causeing the heat?
Bigred if your tire shop can turn those rotors, that's news to me, and maybe you know something that I don't! There was a discussion on the forum not too long ago about whether or not it's actually possible to turn SD rotors. My brother and I talked about taking an old set of rotors we have to a big machine shop to have them milled on a big machine, to see if we could, in effect, turn them. He runs a brake and muff shop and can't turn SD rotors.

I've also heard that SD rotors can warp quite quickly and easily, which is why the guys around here prefer the cryo'd slotted variety.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:39 AM
cangim
Postmaster
Bigred, I am trying to decipher your post, did you only replace the pads on the one side? if so, even if they are the same brand, there may be enought difference in the material make of the pad that is causing the description mentioned. I would have replaced both sets as to my knowledge you can only by new pads in sets. This would ensure both sets are equal in makeup. This would eliminate any one set grabbing more or less than the other.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:59 AM
mybigredford
Elder User
SMOKIN- last year when i got the rotors replaced, i saw my old rotors on the turning machine, they brought me back to the shop and showed me my old rotor that was almost done being turned with rust all the way through it, i know the guys pretty good where i go, but maybe they were pulling a fast one on me to charge me new rotors, but i will find out cause today after work i am gonna take my rotor down to get it turned and i will definatley report back to you and see what i find.

CANGIM- i replaced both the front left and right brake pads, even though i didnt want to replace the passenger side because thats the one that didnt sieze, buti changed the pads out anyways, but i didnt change that rotor, only drivers side got a new rotor.

thanks for your help guys, and any more theorys would be helpful. i will get back to you guys about the turning of my rotor tonight.