3.0L Powerstroke Diesel Discuss the forthcoming 3.0L V6 Ford diesel in the F150

New Lawsuit Involving F-150 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 08:14 PM
Frankenbiker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cat won't EVER build a light truck engine.

That doesn't mean they won't LICENCE someone else's engine.

Witness the Perkins engine in the Rigmaster class-8 APU. You can get it in Perkins green, or CAT yellow. The "CAT" engine is a Perkins engine with a coat of yellow paint and a CAT sticker. And a $400 higher price tag.

-blaine

Old 06-26-2007, 08:44 PM
Passin Thru
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ya, I ran a CAT 3406 E for 4 years and the only problem we had was an injector stuck for some reason and they fixed it free. Id love to bolt a 4 cyl CAT up in my pickup. Bet it would run, those John Deerre engines do also.

Nothing runs like a Deere, or smells like a John.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:36 PM
Oldengr
New User
Monster,

If memory serves, there was a joint IH-Ford task force focusing on the injectors, and specifically the O-rings, during the headache prone 6.0L launch. Now, I'm not saying it was International's fault as I used to work with a former Navistar buyer that maintained that Ford had demanded that they wouldn't pay the $100 royalty fee to CAT for the HEUI injectors and Navistar was forced to use its own design and rush it into production.

I'm actually a big fan of the Powerstrokes and firmly believe that some of the other Diesel engine builders get a little more credit that they deserve. I haven't ever seen a Powerstroke problem that was anywhere nearly as severe as the block cracking issues of a certain 4V inline 6 cyl.

Despite all the bad press on the 6.0L, Ford sold around 290,000 of them in 2006, almost double the volumes on the other two full size Diesel pickups.

In any case my 7.3 is here to stay as I haven't seen anything Diesel that I liked any better.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:54 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
"Now, I'm not saying it was International's fault as I used to work with a former Navistar buyer that maintained that Ford had demanded that they wouldn't pay the $100 royalty fee to CAT for the HEUI injectors and Navistar was forced to use its own design and rush it into production."

You may have something there, even though Cat apparently continued to pursue Navistar about the royalty issue on the VT365 injection system, Navistar settled the dispute with Caterpillar by agreeing to buy some replacement parts and a good number of engines from Caterpillar. Some of these engines will be going into International truck and bus products that were formerly only available with International engines.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:45 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Here's the press release about Caterpillar and International settling their dispute;

"Pending Litigation Between The Companies Will Be Dismissed

Warrenville, IL (August 24, 2006) - Navistar International Corporation (NYSE: NAV), the nation’s largest combined commercial truck and mid-range diesel engine producer, announced today that it has reached an agreement with Caterpillar Inc. (NYSE:CAT) on a new ongoing business relationship that includes new licensing and supply agreements.

As part of the agreement, both companies have agreed to dismiss all pending litigation, some of which date back to 2001. Financial terms of the agreement are not being disclosed, but it is anticipated that the agreement will not have a material impact on Navistar’s financial position, cash flow or results of operations.
A major component of the agreement involves new supply agreements between the two companies that include on-highway truck engines, fuel injectors, remanufactured components and other products.

"This agreement sets in place the framework for further expansion of our long relationship with Caterpillar," said Daniel C. Ustian, Navistar chairman, president and chief executive officer. "I am extremely pleased that we have been able to reach agreement on issues that were a distraction to both companies, and can concentrate on working together to continue to build a productive and prosperous relationship."

"Navistar is a very important customer to Caterpillar, and I’m pleased we’re able to settle our differences and move forward in a positive way," said Jim Owens, Caterpillar chairman and chief executive officer. "This agreement provides a solid foundation for a continued long-term business relationship that benefits us both." "

Old 07-02-2007, 02:22 PM
fordmtnman
Senior User
cat alias

Originally Posted by tjc transport
all the little "cat" engines are actually made by perkins, hence the nickname of perkapiller.
Thier small dozer and backhoe engines are Mfg by Mitsubishi. Why THEY don't have a half ton diesel blows my mind.

Could you imagine the commercials? By a mitsubishi diesel pickup. When caterpillar needs a small diesel, they turn to us...

Old 07-03-2007, 03:21 PM
cb5300
3rd Gear
Here's a thought for you, I just heard from a good source that Ford has bought controling interest in Cummins. That Dodge will be switching to another motor in the near future and that Ford engines will be built by Cummins. This info came from the Cummins service center here in Virgina. Any one else hear this????

Old 07-03-2007, 03:29 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cb5300
Here's a thought for you, I just heard from a good source that Ford has bought controling interest in Cummins. That Dodge will be switching to another motor in the near future and that Ford engines will be built by Cummins. This info came from the Cummins service center here in Virgina. Any one else hear this????
I find your "good source" to be very suspect.

Old 07-03-2007, 03:39 PM
poppie
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cb5300
they "SOLD" their interest in cummins a year ago,this was on the diesel stop .com site.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:06 PM
thorseshoeing
decadent and depraved

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
No no no, you heard it wrong, Cummins bought controlling interest in Ford. And since they have been supplying Dodge with engines, they are now going to supply Dodge with trucks as well. So that means that Dodge will be using Ford trucks and the Cummins engine. They will call them the Dodge F-250 and so on...

I heard this from a very reliable source as well...

Tim

Old 07-04-2007, 08:03 AM
poppie
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by thorseshoeing
No no no, you heard it wrong, Cummins bought controlling interest in Ford. And since they have been supplying Dodge with engines, they are now going to supply Dodge with trucks as well. So that means that Dodge will be using Ford trucks and the Cummins engine. They will call them the Dodge F-250 and so on...

I heard this from a very reliable source as well...

Tim
That's a classic,LOL,we all need a good laugh fom time to time,thank's for brightning my day

Old 07-07-2007, 11:02 AM
gotfu
Senior User
My Rant

if what everybody is saying is true(re.fords problems with the 6.0,injector issues,head gasket problems,egr coolers,turbo vanes sticking,etc)are caused by ford writing their own "tune"for the engine then why are international dealer service departments filled with trucks that have the vt365 in them with all the same problems.the problem as i see it is the engine does have design issues,that should be fixed period.my brother is a shop forman for international and his opinion of the engine is "its the worst piece of ***** we have ever made".the two companys should just stand behind the product and see the problems through to the end and cut out all the legal bull***** ,if they did this in the end they and all the owners of the engine would all be better off.

Old 07-07-2007, 04:26 PM
exiled
Posting Guru
I just read something last month that I dont know if is true or what not. It was about the pending arguements between ford and inter. The report said that somewhere around 02 I think vovlo was trying to take over inter. and ford bailed them out. I dont remember any numbers mentioned. You know maybe ford was looking to get bailed out with the early 6.0L problems. But then I'm reminded of 1995 when the 96 mustangs debuted w/ the 4.6L gts and cobras. I know in our area they where trouble. It took about 2 yrs to get the quirks out. Really I dont know how long but the 4.6L did'nt do good at first. My 07 is a 3v head from the factor w/ 300 hp. So what did ford and inter. think they had? An engine that was going to take over the world. Heck when they got the 6.0L right they switched. If they kept running the 6.0L both sides might have started making some money instead of spending it on catching up. Just a dumb rednecks .02 worth.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:44 PM
SUPERDUTY_untouchabl
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ag30265
The foreign auto makers are not stupid, after seeing what has happened with ford/navistar and gm/isuzu they will think twice about outsourcing to an engine manufacturer. Why wouldn't they keep that money completely in house? Hino and Ud anyone?

There is only one manufacturer that hasn't had a problem with their diesel supplier......daimler benz and cummins...........which once again proves that cummins is the best all around diesel in a light truck.

In the end............

gm will use the isuzu design and fail to keep it up to date and lose in the long run.

dodge will use the cummins untill cummins backs out and then they will offer a benz design and fair decently well with it.

Toyota will use hino and will top the market...............eventually.

Nissan will use a ud design and stay competitive.

Ford will introduce an in house design that will either make them or break them.........I fear the latter. But they changed the market years ago and could do it again.

I

Wow this was posted a almost a year ago and is looking true so far...... Are you psychic?

Old 04-13-2008, 04:59 PM
mnmwhit
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
whole lot of folks here that don't know sqwat about what they are talking about....fun to read though. Time will tell.

Quick Reply: New Lawsuit Involving F-150 Diesel