Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough Shifting from 2nd to 3rd on A/T 1993 F150

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 11:39 AM
RedBandit
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rough Shifting from 2nd to 3rd on A/T 1993 F150

Have a 1993 F150, 5.0L, V8, 2 Wheel drive. When driving and the transmission wants to shift from 2nd gear to 3rd gear, it shifts hard into 3rd. I hear that there a few problems that can cause this. Would a dirty filter and old Tranny fluid cause this?

thanks

Red

Old 06-13-2007, 03:57 PM
385seriesHemi
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Possibly needs a flush or pan drop/filter, Go that path first then see what happens.

Old 06-13-2007, 04:04 PM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Always a good place to start How old is the fluid and filter?

-Chris

Old 06-13-2007, 05:25 PM
rattosh51
Senior User
If your fluid is brown, it would probably be doing it all the time. Sounds like something else, but if it needs it, do it.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:18 AM
RedBandit
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Skandocious
Always a good place to start How old is the fluid and filter?

-Chris
I think the fluid is probably as old as the truck. I just picked it up recently. The guy said it could the electronic sensor, but I was reading that old fluid could cause this. Guess my best bet is to change the filter and fluid and see what happens.

Where can I find information on the truck that tells me which transmission I have. This way I order the right gasket and filter.

Thanks

Red

Old 06-14-2007, 11:18 AM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Originally Posted by RedBandit
I think the fluid is probably as old as the truck. I just picked it up recently. The guy said it could the electronic sensor, but I was reading that old fluid could cause this. Guess my best bet is to change the filter and fluid and see what happens.

Where can I find information on the truck that tells me which transmission I have. This way I order the right gasket and filter.

Thanks

Red
Check your door sticker:

I know its kind of hard to read, but I can read it so ask me if you need anything clarified.

-Chris

Old 06-14-2007, 11:24 AM
RedBandit
Freshman User
Check your door sticker:

I know its kind of hard to read, but I can read it so ask me if you need anything clarified.

-Chris
Code G. Is that "Automatic - C6"??
Code U. Is that "Automatic - 4R70W"??

Thanks for your help Chris.

R

Old 06-14-2007, 11:26 AM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Code G. Is that "Automatic - C6"??
Code U. Is that "Automatic - 4R70W"??

Thanks for your help Chris.

R
Right on the money. You're welcome.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:30 AM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Yeah I'm going to give you a little warning so you don't get disappointed later. This problem will most likely not be solved with a fluid and filter change like rattosh said. BUT! If the fluid and filter are original to the truck then they definitely need to be changed anyway. Just don't use anything expensive like Amsoil or Royal Purple because from the sounds of it you might end up needing to drain it all out pretty soon But who knows, it could fix your problem and you'll be done with it.

We had a ford van at work doing this same thing (e4od, shifting hard from 2nd to the 3rd) and when we sent it over to the fleet services facility they inspected it and ended up replacing the transmission. Didn't give us any details as to what was wrong but apparently it wasn't worth servicing...

-Chris

Old 06-14-2007, 11:48 AM
RedBandit
Freshman User
Yeah I'm going to give you a little warning so you don't get disappointed later. This problem will most likely not be solved with a fluid and filter change like rattosh said. BUT! If the fluid and filter are original to the truck then they definitely need to be changed anyway. Just don't use anything expensive like Amsoil or Royal Purple because from the sounds of it you might end up needing to drain it all out pretty soon But who knows, it could fix your problem and you'll be done with it.

We had a ford van at work doing this same thing (e4od, shifting hard from 2nd to the 3rd) and when we sent it over to the fleet services facility they inspected it and ended up replacing the transmission. Didn't give us any details as to what was wrong but apparently it wasn't worth servicing...

-Chris
I believe it is an e4od and sounds exactly like the problem that you had with your van. I am not looking forward to replacing the transmission. NOT at all.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:57 AM
Skandocious
Postmaster
I believe it is an e4od and sounds exactly like the problem that you had with your van. I am not looking forward to replacing the transmission. NOT at all.
Well get some new fluid and a filter in her and see what happens. Even if the tranny does need to be replaced, you might be able to bandaid the problem enough to squeeze another 20k miles out of it (who knows?). The problem with our van didn't seem to be self-destructive to the vehicle, it was just irritating. If your is the same thing, and you could get it to a tolerable amount of kicking between 2nd and 3rd, then you won't need to go running to buy a new tranny right away.

Oh and make sure to use Mercon/Dextron III.

How many miles on the truck/transmission?

-Chris

Old 06-14-2007, 12:17 PM
RedBandit
Freshman User
Well get some new fluid and a filter in her and see what happens. Even if the tranny does need to be replaced, you might be able to bandaid the problem enough to squeeze another 20k miles out of it (who knows?). The problem with our van didn't seem to be self-destructive to the vehicle, it was just irritating. If your is the same thing, and you could get it to a tolerable amount of kicking between 2nd and 3rd, then you won't need to go running to buy a new tranny right away.

Oh and make sure to use Mercon/Dextron III.

How many miles on the truck/transmission?

-Chris
Thanks Chris.

Tranny has 170,000 miles on it.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:27 PM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Thanks Chris.

Tranny has 170,000 miles on it.
Yeah, to be honest, 170k miles on a 93 E4OD is already pushin' it. You're lucky you got that much life out of her. Especially without ever changing the fluid, heh. Good luck man.

-Chris

Old 06-14-2007, 02:20 PM
RedBandit
Freshman User
Yeah, to be honest, 170k miles on a 93 E4OD is already pushin' it. You're lucky you got that much life out of her. Especially without ever changing the fluid, heh. Good luck man.

-Chris
Hey Chris. Just went to verify what type my tranny was. Come to find out it is a "T". I don't see a "T" on your list.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Old 06-14-2007, 02:32 PM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Hmm. I believe the T code for transmission denotes an automatic 4-speed that they put in Rangers... Interesting that its on your tag... Are you sure that you are looking in the right place? It would be under the heading TRANS or TR most likely.

-Chris

Quick Reply: Rough Shifting from 2nd to 3rd on A/T 1993 F150