Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Heated signal mirror help

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 02:22 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Heated signal mirror help

I just bought my truck a few weeks ago. 2003 F250 crew cab Lariat 4x4 7.3 PSD. I bought it from a dealership that only deals with used trucks and they sell new and used travel trailers. It had the heated signal mirrors. I noticed right before I went to sign the papers that they weren't working. They said that they would look at them for me, so I made an appointment to have them looked at by the service department. I went in last week and the service dept tells me that the truck originally wasn't equiped with them, the wiring harness wasn't there and that they would replace them with the one's that it originally came with. I said no I like the look of them even if they weren't functional and to leave them on.

I then drove to the Ford dealership close to my house and checked on buying the harness in order to make the functional. The dealership informed me that the harness I needed was $460.65 . That wasn't including instalation that was just the price of the harness. It seems that even though I have the Lariat with heated seats, lighted vanity mirrors, overhead console, etc. They didn't put the signal mirrors on it from the factory and I have to replace the entire wiring harness for the whole truck from the cab back (according to the parts counter guy). Now I know the 2003's came with heated signal mirrors because My buddy just bought his a few months ago. He has an XLT with cloth interior and the 6.0 PSD and his has the mirrors.
Is there a way to get mine to work without investing in the $460.65 in the harness and the extreme labor of rewiring every accessory from the cab back?

Old 06-12-2007, 02:57 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You are right, 2003 PSD's did have heated mirrors but only the ones with the 6.0 engines. The 7.3's did not have the heated mirrors. I know that other members have installed heated mirrors on older 7.3's without that expensive harness. I'm sure someone will chime in and share how they did it.

Old 06-12-2007, 03:02 PM
Green_Dually
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 06-12-2007, 03:27 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ponyboychris
You are right, 2003 PSD's did have heated mirrors but only the ones with the 6.0 engines. The 7.3's did not have the heated mirrors. I know that other members have installed heated mirrors on older 7.3's without that expensive harness. I'm sure someone will chime in and share how they did it.
Wrong... The 7.3 was available with heated mirrors from 2000 on, just not the signaled mirrors... My wifes X has them.

I added the 6.0 mirrors to my truck and ran the mirror heat to a switch and to a key on power sorce... You only need the heat for a few seconds and the worst snow and ice will fall off. Ford has them on ALL THE DAMN TIME...

Old 06-12-2007, 03:28 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Wow. Thank you so much Green_Dually. I love this site. Y'all are so helpful.I knew there must be a way.

Old 06-12-2007, 03:30 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
I'm more interested in the signal and driving light part than the heated part although, having had heated mirrors on a few of my vehicles, they do come in handy around here in the winter.

Old 06-12-2007, 03:31 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Its not that bad to hook up... I did it on a jobsite in about three hours one day...

Old 06-12-2007, 03:33 PM
Green_Dually
Elder User
Originally Posted by HKusp
Wow. Thank you so much Green_Dually. I love this site. Y'all are so helpful.I knew there must be a way.

Anytime....

Old 06-12-2007, 09:29 PM
NS F250
Elder User
Originally Posted by CSIPSD
Wrong... The 7.3 was available with heated mirrors from 2000 on, just not the signaled mirrors... My wifes X has them.

I added the 6.0 mirrors to my truck and ran the mirror heat to a switch and to a key on power sorce... You only need the heat for a few seconds and the worst snow and ice will fall off. Ford has them on ALL THE DAMN TIME...
Must have been an X only thing. I bought my '02 F250 new and it was not an option.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:16 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Nope... we have a few 01 pickups with them too...