Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

2003 EB Rear doors don't auto unlock when I turn the key off.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 07:27 AM
Snowlover
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 EB Rear doors don't auto unlock when I turn the key off.

I have a 2003 EB When I put the truck in drive and take my foot off the brake the doors all lock. this is auto lock feature is great, but when I stop and shut off the truck, only the front doors unlock. My sister inlaw has a 2005 xlt. all of thier doors unlock when they turn off the ignition. I have looked in the owners manual and searched these posts. any ideas? or did Ford change thier mind about how many doors should unlock in the two year difference.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:00 AM
E.B. Cornburner
Freshman User
My '04 doesn't have an auto unlock feature to the best of my knowledge. When you pull on the inside door handle on the front doors, it manually unlocks the door. The rear doors don't have this feature, most likely because of safety for kids, etc.

You can disable the autolock feature thru your settings button. I did just for the simple fact that I don't care if my doors lock when I'm driving, and it saves a few more wear cycles on the lock actuators, since they're not being used as much.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:51 PM
Steina
CO River Rat

On my old '02 XLT and present '04 XLT, there is no auto unlock system tied to turning off the key. Like E.B. said, the front doors stay locked until you pull the inside handle, so it feels like they were already unlocked. BTW, my '04 locks the doors after rolling at 2-3 mph, not as soon as I take my foot off the brake pedal.

Steve

Last edited by Steina; 06-05-2007 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:50 AM
Nasty350LT1
Freshman User
I have owned my EB Explorer for 9 years and have never heard
of such a thing as an "AUTO UNLOCK"

What is that ?

My EB Explorer has no such thing

Old 06-06-2007, 06:20 AM
Snowlover
New User
Talking

Originally Posted by Steina
On my old '02 XLT and present '04 XLT, there is no auto unlock system tied to turning off the key. Like E.B. said, the front doors stay locked until you pull the inside handle, so it feels like they were already unlocked. BTW, my '04 locks the doors after rolling at 2-3 mph, not as soon as I take my foot off the brake pedal.

Steve
You are absolutely right, I paid closer attention to the whole process and actually walked around to the passenger side after getting out of the drivers door, and the door was still locked from the outside, so I will have to live with it. My wife always complains when she gets out the passenger side and goes to the back to get our daughter out of the back seat - the back door is locked from the outside. Thus the reason I was looking to change the settings, my wife's car - Bonneville has the option of programming one or all four to unlock when you shut off the ignition. I guess I was getting them both confused. Thanks for everyone’s help. It will have to continue to be my fault when the back door is locked and my wife is with...

Old 06-06-2007, 06:21 AM
Snowlover
New User
Originally Posted by Nasty350LT1
I have owned my EB Explorer for 9 years and have never heard
of such a thing as an "AUTO UNLOCK"

What is that ?

My EB Explorer has no such thing
you are right - NO need to be nasty (350lt1) about it.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:10 PM
Steina
CO River Rat

You or your wife just need to hit the UNLOCK button on the door when getting out; do it a few times and it'll become second-nature.

Steve