Sponsored by: DP Tuner

A John Wood Transmission? $2900, Wow

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 07:28 AM
Meatco1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A John Wood Transmission? $2900, Wow

I spoke to John this past Friday, and he told me $2900 is the price he was going to be charging for a rebuild with the 6.4 converter. His labor to take out & reinstall would be about $400. That brings the price to $3300, or about the same as Ford charges for their “refurbished” rebuilds. I may be off a few dollars one way or another, as I was driving when speaking to him, but if I am, it’s just that, a few bucks only.

I had this exact rebuild installed two weeks ago. At that time, John asked me NOT to quote just what I paid, as he wasn't sure if he could hold that price.

Friday, I called to make an appointment for more work. In our conversation, he let me know it would be ok to inform folks here what he would be charging if they wanted this same rebuild.

Same John Wood trans rebuild, same custom made parts, & same warranty John is well known for, just a different converter. John also let me know this rebuild would be good for at least 375 HP (about perfect with my DP tune). Unless you're going to be building a motor with 400+ hp, this is the trans to own! (by the way, did you know that Ford is also installing the 6.4 converter in their "Heavy Duty" trans rebuilds?) Seems Ford also knows the 6.4 converter will hold up much better than the 7.3 converter they supplied with our 4R100s.

Personally, I would hope everyone here in the West would give John a call when they need their Powerstroke Trans rebuilt. With John’s attention to detail, knowledge, workmanship, quality, & warranty, we could all have absolute confidence when leaving the house (especially when towing 10,000+)

Which trans would you rather have in your truck when towing that toy box???

Any questions give John a call at (760) 356-9421

Richard

Old 06-04-2007, 07:49 AM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

thanks for the info! Is John in Cali? If so, what part/area? Thanks!

Old 06-04-2007, 08:03 AM
fbilly420
Senior User
I seen the awesome trailer and how hard john plays with his truck in an issue of diesel power and i will be calling him when my trans lets go. I have researched it on the web and he does have very good prices. Thats where i'll be going for sure.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:04 AM
SBChero
Mountain Pass
is that for a stock rebuild? his website says that a stage 1 trans starts @ 3900.

nice that he is local (well sort of) if you need warrantee work.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:12 PM
John311t
Postmaster
Is the 6.4 convertor the same as the 6L converter? It the same trans i belive.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:26 PM
Meatco1
Senior User
This is the same rebuild you see listed on his website. The difference is simply in the converter.

The 6.4 converter is stock, mounted on our own flex-plates (With a touch of John's ingenuity), while the 6.0 converter is a custom job that has a billet front.

I guess if your running 400+ HP your going to need the more expensive rebuild. But, if you're like most of us, that same rebuild, with the same warranty, and same custom parts and only running 375 hp or less, you're in luck.

A lot less $$$!

Richard

Old 06-04-2007, 01:40 PM
John311t
Postmaster
I got a 6L converter with my original flywheel, it has a touch of ingenuity too(hallas performance), although i do not know what was done to it. I know it does NOT have a billet front, i seen the converter before it was installed, but since i did not know what the stock convertor looked like, i couldnt tell what was changed, i know it wasnt billet...

I know the 6.4 uses the same trans as the 6L thats why i was wondering if the convertor was the same, I couldnt see them changing out just the convertor while using the same trans.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:49 AM
Mach1
Senior User
The 6.4 still uses a Torqshift(5 spd) transmission, the 6.4 version is a little beefier and aggressive convertor then the 6L version, also the Torqshift has some internal differences as well, forged hubs and better clutches.

But yes, basically the 6.4 convertor is a 6L, with a little more aggressive stall..

Old 06-07-2007, 11:17 AM
WorldCommander
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm heading down to talk to John next week about rebuilding my 4R100 in a V10 4x4 that blew after only 50,000 miles. Ford dealer offered me a rebuilt for $3000 installed but not sure if I could specify that be done with the 6.4 converter.

Did he also replace any planetary gears or clutch plates for you? The reason I ask is that it is a long drive to just replace a torque converter. John also didn't think it necessary to upgrade the accumulator, so what exactly are the improvements over stock? Please un-confuse me.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:19 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
I've Called This Guy Twice During Hours And He Has Not Yet Called Me Back. I Wonder If He's Going To Be A Customer Service Nightmare. Some One Come In And Let Me Know There Exspearance. I Just Wanted A New Tork Convertor. I Have An Early 99 That Runs Fine But Is Lound In That Department. Thought The 6.4 Or 6.0l Convertor Would Be Fine.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:40 AM
WorldCommander
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Bonanza35
I've Called This Guy Twice During Hours And He Has Not Yet Called Me Back. I Wonder If He's Going To Be A Customer Service Nightmare. Some One Come In And Let Me Know There Exspearance. I Just Wanted A New Tork Convertor. I Have An Early 99 That Runs Fine But Is Lound In That Department. Thought The 6.4 Or 6.0l Convertor Would Be Fine.
I've called him before also. Sometimes there's an answering machine sometimes just no answer. It doesn't put a good face on your business that's for sure but shouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker. I would keep calling him until you get him directly. So far I've heard nothing but good about his work.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:00 AM
Meatco1
Senior User
Guys:

If John is busy on his mill making custom parts for one of his rebuilds, the tolerances are tight, and he has to keep his eye on what's being cut. He just can't stop each time the phone rings. Even if you are there watching over his shoulder as he makes the parts for your transmission, he will say something like "let me finish this part, and I'll be right with you". In other words, he is concentrating on making that part perfect Personally, I'm happy to see he takes his work that seriously!

I can tell you he goes out of his way with customer service. Sometimes, you just have to call back until you get him, believe me, it's worth your time.

Richard

Old 06-08-2007, 11:02 AM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

Originally Posted by Bonanza35
Just curious, but why do you capitalize the first letter of every word? It's kinda weird to read.

It's nice to be able to reach someone everytime you call a shop, but I've called DP and BTS and had to leave messages. They called back, and their products are tops. Some things are worth waiting for, but we're so used to instant responses (me especially!!) that it's frustrating. think about the days before the internet & email; how long would it take you to track down a shop like BTS, DP, or Mr. Wood? From what everyone with experience with this shop is saying, it's worth the wait. Best of luck to you!

Last edited by papadelogan; 06-08-2007 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:44 AM
WorldCommander
Mountain Pass
Weird 3rd gear

John Wood trans now installed-and I have never felt a trans shift like this. Even under light acceleration on the 3rd gear shift, there is a brief hesitation and then instantly engages again (TC locking up?) around 45 mph. Doesn't do this on any of the other gears. Also starting from low (1st), there is a high pitched whine, almost grinding sound, not heard on shifting to 2nd. The 3rd gear shift was like this when I picked it up. 1st gear noise has gotten louder. Only ~1,000 mi on this rebuild. Any thoughts on what's going on here?

Old 07-02-2007, 10:40 AM
Meatco1
Senior User
Worldcommander:

Have you called John Wood about this yet? If you don't have his cell number drop me a line, and I'll be happy to PM it to you. As far as I know, John has always given out this number to his customers, before they leave his shop.

Do you possibly have oversized tires on your V-10? If so, I know the shift parameters are pretty much locked in on the factory burn (but Jody at DP chips is about to come out with a chip for the V-10 that will take care of that problem.)

John is very pro-reactive(?) when it comes caring for his customers. I know he will want to see you satisfied.

Richard

Quick Reply: A John Wood Transmission? $2900, Wow