Transmission advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 01:12 AM
Mr. Bob
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission advice needed

I have 2 camplaints about my 4R100 that I really want to address:

1) When driving down the freeway and the converter lockes up my RPMs drom down to about 1400 or so. If I am towing my 3000 LB tent trailer and I got to accelerate up a hill it will unlock the converter and downshift bringing my RPMs way up, from 1500ish to 2800 or so.... Some times I feel that if the converter had unlocked and it had remained in OD it would have been fine. I am looking at running a on-off-on switch to either have the computer have control of the lock up, have the lock up off, or manually lock the converter... but is there any other option than that???

2) when backing my trailer up it seems to take A LOT to get it to want to go. Like turbo spooling still having a hard time.... it drives me nuts and makes me look like a jack a$$ when you get to a camp ground late and I go to back in and make ALL KINDS of noise....

I am not a transmission guy so any help is appriciated!!!

Old 06-04-2007, 05:45 AM
JOE-M
Elder User
1- A torque converter lock switch will work wonders and solve this problem. You can either build one yourself (you just have to remember to turn it off when coming to a stop) or order an automatic push button one from someone.
2- The easiest thing to do for this is add a 2wd low mod to your truck. When you are ready to back in just shift into 2wd low and ease it into place. You can do this by stopping, raising the hood and unplugging the wire or install a switch in the cab to cut off the 4wd. Either way, this is the best and handiest mod I have done for pulling and backing trailers.
Joe

Old 06-04-2007, 07:08 AM
jrciii56
Elder User
Mr. Bob, If I were you I would swap out the gears, especially since you have a 8" inch lift. I would run 4.56's. Second I would give Jody a call at DP-tuner. You can get a couple of tow tunes from him and he can make that transmission do whatever you want it to do even without a manual torque converter switch.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:43 AM
Meatco1
Senior User
Hello:

I had your EXACT problem. My solution? I had John Wood build a trans for me.

Read this thread,
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...ight=John+Wood you'll see what he saw when it was pulled apart (I was right there watching over his shoulder when it was pulled apart).

Just in time, and certainly worth it for me!

Richard