General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Speeding Ticket in a different state?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2002, 08:39 PM
rocky
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 12-05-2002, 01:40 PM
jalampi
Senior User

I got busted in New Hampshire over thanksgiving for speeding , do you think that will carry over to my Michigan license?

Old 12-05-2002, 01:55 PM
1997RangerXLT
Posting Guru

It depends if they have an agreement, Michigan and SC do. I think they all do now-a-days.

Old 12-05-2002, 02:16 PM
brienobrien
Elder User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 05-Dec-02 AT 03:18 PM (EST)]Better pay it and be done with it. It will come back to haunt you for sure. Parking tickets you can save for posterity, but moving violations are tracked and hunted down for vengeance.

Pay now, or pay alot more later, but pay you will. Hold your nose, write the check and forget it. By the way, how fast were you going. Over 85 in some states is reckless driving and considered a felony
Not good for gun owners, voters, and generally otherwise law abiding citizens.

I hope you don't run afoul of the law anymore than you have. So, as distasteful as it is, you really need to pay it and forget it.

Old 12-05-2002, 03:01 PM
rocky
Elder User

Pay it and be done with it. I have a friend that got a $25 ticket in Hawaii, and blew it off. Three months later US marshalls picked him up in Missouri, and charged him $300 more because they had to chase him, plus the time he spent in jail.

Old 12-05-2002, 03:33 PM
rikfish
Posting Guru

If you're guilty, I suggest paying it. If not, you know the options.

I blew off a speeding ticket I got in Arkansas some years ago. Had I paid it, it would have cost me $56. By blowing it off, and having a bench warrant and court costs added, it ended up costing me $255. I also came very close to having my license suspended by Colorado too. And yes, I had checked to see if the two states had what they call a "reciprocal agreement", which I was assured they did not have!

Seems Dumas County, Arkansas sent a copy of the ticket and bench warrant to the Colorado DMV. They (Co) then sent me a registered letter giving me 30 days to show proof I had resolved (paid in other words) the ticket, or my license would be suspended. I paid, and still had to do a tap dance to prove I had paid the fine in time and not lose my license. Had my license been suspended, it would have cost an additional $40, plus proof I had paid, plus proof of insurance. Remember, your driver's license is a priviledge, not a "right". It can be taken away without due process!

I learned the hard way.