Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Duramax vs 6.0 powerstroke

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 10:38 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Duramax vs 6.0 powerstroke

Hey guys I dont know if I should bring this up again since weve talked about this on this forum many times. But I would like your thoughts on this. I know there are people that have had both. I would like to here your honest thoughts on this topic. People think that the duramax has been trouble free and the 6.0 has had problems. Ive seen people go to the duramax because of so called problems with the 6.0. Will the duramax hold up over the long haul. Can you go 300,000 miles without problems. I have yet to see one go that far without some kind off trouble. I knowthe Ford superduty is a way better overall truck then the GMs hevy duty. Ive ridden in both and the superduty is a hard act to follow and GMs truck dooesnt match the interior room off the superduty. I want to assure my friends who are thinking off a duramax to forget that and get a 6.0. Your replies are much appreciated. To me going from a superduty to GM HD is a step in the wrong direction. The superduty is the caddilac of HD trucks. IMO.

Last edited by 150ford; 04-02-2005 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:53 PM
Al Bundy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cadillac is a GM product.

Speaking about problems, do you have any credible sources that the duramax isn't reliable? I'm sorry I do not understand your question. Your thread states duramax vs powerstroke. Then you end it with the superduty being better than silverado/sierra HD. If you say you haven't seen a duramax that has had over 300,000 miles (which was released earlier than the 6.0 powerstroke), what makes you think the 6.0 has? Any credible sources???

Old 04-02-2005, 02:46 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
No credible sources just what Ive heard. Yes I mean powerstroke vs duramax. Ive ridden in them both and like the superduty better then then the Chevy. I just wanna know if the duramax will hold up over the long haul without any problems. They have beenout outsince 2001 2 years before the 6.0 came out so I imagine theres a few high mileage ones out there. Id just like to here input from anybody thats owned one and will enlighten us. I was not using Cadillac in that sense off the word. Sorry but am not humored by that. If you dont have either one you shouldnt be posting.

Old 04-02-2005, 02:54 PM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why even start this post. I doubt there are no worse or no better than the PSD. Unless we have some people here that use them for commerical hauling I don't the the answer will be forth coming. I see nothing about the engine that would make it any less realiable than any other engine.

Old 04-02-2005, 02:56 PM
marspec
Senior User
I haven't the faintest idea. Thought the dmax looked interesting when it came out but since my son is a 6.0 tech there wasn't anyother that I would consider. Is there a website like FTE in the GM domain where one could surf? I haven't been able to find one.

Old 04-02-2005, 03:13 PM
duramaximizer
Posting Guru
check out the www.dieselplace.com it is all gm diesel.

in my opinion, though none are great, I do believe there have been a lot fewer problems with the duramax than the PSD. there are still people having problems with the torqueshift. i know i have heard ford mechanics say the only good PSD was the 7.3 and that the 6.0 was/is junk. gm's injectors have been a hit and miss deal as well. gm's problems with injectors seem less severe and are warrantied. gm continues to tweek it's motor to make it better, while i think ford has decided to trash the 6.0 with a start over. the IFS is far more comfortable although interior room of the ford is bigger. if he has his mind made up i don't see how you could possibly swing him the other way unless he likes the look of the ford over the gm, or wants the "truck" ride.

when you get over to the dieselplace website start a new topic under both of the diesel (lb7 and the LLY)motors and see what you find, and then do the same with the 6.0 and compare. also do the same for the transmissions and see what you find.

Old 04-02-2005, 04:27 PM
jeb
Elder User
I've owned one of each, both first year motors. 01 HD2500 CC SB 4x4 dmax/ally and an 03 Excursion Lmtd 6.0PSD. I only had 32k on the dmax when I sold it but they were totally, 100% trouble free ones. I really enjoyed that motor. It felt really fast and it got great fuel mileage.

The PSD, OTOH, was the reason my Ex got bought back. I had 15k on it when they gave me my money back and I had a litany of problems with the engine. It had the C95 injectors and those were trouble free but the turbo blew, multiple oil leaks, EGR's, turbo acctuators, various engine control modules, etc, etc.

So there's no question in MY experience as to which was more reliable.

Old 04-03-2005, 12:20 PM
MofW
Mountain Pass
I would say the only true way to get a good feel for which engine will last longer is to take 100,000+(50,000GM/50,000Ford) trucks in the same configuration doing the exact same work. They would have to be maintained exactly the same as far as intervals and fuel from the same filling station. They would be stock from the factory and use the factory recommended oils, grease, and filters. You are always going to find a bad engine in some way shape or form. I don't care if it is a Duramax, Powerstroke, Cummins, John Deere or a CAT, a small percentage of them will be bad. This way following 100,000+ Duramaxes/PSs will give you a pretty good average on longevity. With a high number of test trucks you will find the bad ones and still have plenty of good ones that will make for a fair average.

So with that said, I feel it is impossible to say for ABSOLUTE FACT which one will live longer unless you have the money and time to carry out a controled test like I just said. I don't give a care about here say because it is exactly that, here say.

Old 07-05-2005, 07:46 PM
WWBII
New User
Well stated MofW. I have driven both (Driven more Ford trucks with diesel engines than GM). I see a lot of PSD folks aparently trying to justify something. Fact is there are Ford guys and there are Dodge guys and there are GM guys, most will find their preference better in some way and attempt to justify it. Here is something some may not realize yet...Ford does not make the PSD! Dodge does not make the Cummins! The closest a company is to building their own engine is GM, and that is in a partnership with Izuzu.

Old 07-05-2005, 09:33 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
1 thing to consider is that right now GM is making it pretty easy - price wise - to jump into a D/A combo. GM has done well building diesel marketshare since it's inception. I know the Ford guys will jump down my throat saying they have 50 something %. Consider this - they started with 90%. Also consider that even though the Superduty itself is a great truck (no arguement there) the 6.0 will be the shortest lived production light duty diesel motor in history. After 4 years it's being replaced ...

So with that said there will most likely be fewer 6.0 with higher miles compared to the 6.6 over time ....

Old 07-05-2005, 10:57 PM
bigsnag
Posting Guru
6.0 isn't getting scrapped. It's getting punched out to a 6.4 with a bunch of other improvements. I think Ford is continuing to build towards a better overall HD truck. They are certainly not resting on their laurels. A lot of that effort is a direct result of Dodge and now finally Chevy having something competitive. I would be willing to bet that Ford knew all along that they would make the 6.0 bigger at some point. They are infamous for their incrementalism. It drives me NUTS!!!!

Old 07-05-2005, 11:12 PM
tkondro
Senior User
wheres this information on the 6.4L diesel from Ford?

I agree with DMAX, for 4% above invoice a person could end up with a diesel truck for the price of a loaded up ranger (exaggerating a bit).

Old 07-06-2005, 02:17 AM
polarbear
Post Fiend
6.4 tidbits are floating around here, but you won't find any specs per se for now. It'll be an '07 thing, along with the new truck. What that translated into, as far as the calendar goes, is still up for speculation.

Old 07-06-2005, 06:10 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by WWBII
Well stated MofW. I have driven both (Driven more Ford trucks with diesel engines than GM). I see a lot of PSD folks aparently trying to justify something. Fact is there are Ford guys and there are Dodge guys and there are GM guys, most will find their preference better in some way and attempt to justify it. Here is something some may not realize yet...Ford does not make the PSD! Dodge does not make the Cummins! The closest a company is to building their own engine is GM, and that is in a partnership with Izuzu.
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! Please read the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand this site.

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 07-06-2005, 08:39 AM
dresserman
New User
Our history

For the first 3K miles on the 2004 GMC w/Duramax when it ran it was great. But every now and then it would out of the blue go into some type of limp mode and would not run much above and idle. You never knew when this would happen and usually when it did, it would be out on an expressway some place and you would have to do a quick pull over and get off the road.

Shutting off the engine and re-starting it would sometimes clear it and it would run just fine for who knew how long before it did it again. Trips back to the shop seemed not to help as this problem continued on. At just over 3K it just quit and would not run at all, only 1000 miles from home so it wasn't a real problem, right? This trip to the shop took 9 days to repair, ECM & FCM burnt up, and other wiring problems surfaced and the repairs made. Ran good for some time but every now and then it quits or goes into a limp mode or something, can be re-started but this problem I don't think has been totally resolved yet. Time will tell. Great tranny. Truck is mostly yanking a 17 foot lightweight trailer and mpg has never hit 14 mpg.

I have not had the chance to drive the new Ford or Dodge for any trips to compare them but this GMC is much nicer than the past 24v Dodge Diesel I drove, don't get me wrong, the Dodge did a good job but it was loud inside and out and after many hours it got tiring.

Time will tell, personally I would rather have had a PS.

Quick Reply: Duramax vs 6.0 powerstroke