North Carolina Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:Benztechnc

I77, from CLT north to OH

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 09:24 AM
MarkMoore
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I77, from CLT north to OH

Hey everyone - I'm posting here because I figured that local folks have traveled this way.<O</O

We're going to Cedar Point in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[img] /><st1:City w:st=[/img]<?xml:namespace prefix = u1 /><u1:City u2:st="on">Sandusky</st1:City></u1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on"><u1:State u2:st="on">OH</st1:State></ST1</u1:State></U1 this summer for vacation and pulling our 32ft Prowler. I've been towing for awhile now, but I understand some of the grade on I77 thru WVa can be pretty challenging. The only time I've really towed in the mtns was a trip back in 04 to <?xml:namespace prefix = st2 ns = "urn:schemas:contacts" /><st2:Sn w:st="on"><?xml:namespace prefix = u3 /><u3:Sn u2:st="on">Boone</st2:Sn></u3:Sn> - straight up 321. I have little doubt that my v10 can make it, but I'm sure I'm not gonna like the MPG results My plan is to leave home at about <st1:time w:st="on" Minute="00" Hour="21">9pm</st1:time> and travel all night (my preference, kids sleep and leave me alone).<O</O

So anyhow - what's your experience going this route and can you offer any tips/tricks/words of wisdom?<O</O

Old 05-28-2007, 09:55 AM
CaptGuz
Elder User
i have nothing to offer in terms of suggestions but i hope you have a safe and fun trip

Old 05-28-2007, 10:30 AM
92F150Flare
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I never pulled a trailer through there but made that trip a number of times.......lived in Toledo, Oh. before moving here to SC. I've always seen some pretty good sized Travel Trailers being pulled.......It's all good road through there and a pretty drive too......but you are right about those mountains......it's going to cost you.
Running at night you'll be running with the big trucks ......just hook up with a good one and let him pull you some........(till you have to pass him anyway)....

Probly no less expensive for you to go across I-40 and up 75 either........40 is pretty much the same through the hills and 75 is ALWAYS under construction!!

I hope you're staying a few days......you'll love Cedar Point......Take a ferry over to Put-in-Bay..........GREAT day trip........We "camped" all that the other way.....boating, for years.
Cleveland area has the "Flats"......down by the river and lake too......Used to be a nice area to see. Sandusky is a neat little town.....has some nice shops and a laid back style.

Have a great and safe trip.......Wish I was going.......

Last edited by 92F150Flare; 05-28-2007 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:20 PM
ncfirefighter46
Elder User
Originally Posted by MarkMoore
Hey everyone - I'm posting here because I figured that local folks have traveled this way.<O</O

We're going to Cedar Point in Sandusky, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[img] /><st1:City w:st=[/img]<?xml:namespace prefix = u1 /><u1:City u2:st=" /><st1:State w:st="on"><?xml:namespace prefix = u1 /><u1:State u2:st="on">OH</st1:State></ST1</u1:State></U1 this summer for vacation and pulling our 32ft Prowler. I've been towing for awhile now, but I understand some of the grade on I77 thru WVa can be pretty challenging. The only time I've really towed in the mtns was a trip back in 04 to <?xml:namespace prefix = st2 ns = "urn:schemas:contacts" /><st2:Sn w:st="on"><?xml:namespace prefix = u3 /><u3:Sn u2:st="on">Boone</st2:Sn></u3:Sn> - straight up 321. I have little doubt that my v10 can make it, but I'm sure I'm not gonna like the MPG results My plan is to leave home at about <st1:time w:st="on" Hour="21" Minute="00">9pm</st1:time> and travel all night (my preference, kids sleep and leave me alone).<O</O

So anyhow - what's your experience going this route and can you offer any tips/tricks/words of wisdom?<O</O
yes there are some real step grades on that route i drive a 18 wheeler and right at the state line of nc va there is a real steep grade and long, now if you stay on the toll roads in wv there okay. now i take the back roads through point pleasent wv in to ohio to comlubus ohio, but yes there are some steep grades in VA and two long tunnels in VA you should be able to make no problems, take your time dont get in a hurry and second to feel safer, have your brakes on your truck and trailer checked before leaving. if they are worn real good have them replaced, it is better to be to safe then sorry,

Old 05-28-2007, 02:46 PM
CaptGuz
Elder User
Originally Posted by ncfirefighter46
yes there are some real step grades on that route i drive a 18 wheeler and right at the state line of nc va there is a real steep grade and long, now if you stay on the toll roads in wv there okay. now i take the back roads through point pleasent wv in to ohio to comlubus ohio, but yes there are some steep grades in VA and two long tunnels in VA you should be able to make no problems, take your time dont get in a hurry and second to feel safer, have your brakes on your truck and trailer checked before leaving. if they are worn real good have them replaced, it is better to be to safe then sorry,
...good advice from a veteran of the roads

Old 07-27-2007, 12:20 PM
MarkMoore
Posting Guru
Thanks for everyones input.

The trip went great and my love for the V10 has grown! This X pulled right through those mountains without a problem. I only got 7.4 mpg climbing, but it went up to 8.6 once it flattened out in OH (generally staying around 68 mph).

We had a great time at Cedar Point - if you're an adrenalin junkie and naver been, you should start planning a trip. Top Thrill Dragster goes 0-120+ mph in less than 4 seconds then up 420 ft, arches over and back down at 120+ mph. The whole ride is over in 17 seconds... Wow, what a rush!

Old 07-29-2007, 09:20 AM
ncfirefighter46
Elder User
that is great to hear you mad it safe and had a great time