Suggestions - tonneau, fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 10:15 PM
jantman
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions - tonneau, fog lights

Hi,

I'm looking for some suggestions for my 2006 F-250 XLT short bed.

1) I want to buy a *good* set of fog lights, probably amber. I'd like them to (probably) fit in the front bumper cutout for the trans cooler where the factory ones go. Nothing too expensive (probably under $100/set). The wider the light pattern the better.

Also, a little more difficult...

I've been looking around at tonneau covers, but the options seem to be never ending. I'm looking for something that's soft, roll-up, and NOT snaps. I'd really like something that can lock shut when the tailgate is locked. Low-profile is good, and something that allows access to the stake pockets is even better. $400 absolute maximum, cheaper is better.

Thanks for any advice,
Jason

Old 05-27-2007, 08:43 AM
bla1879
Fleet Mechanic
good luck finding a tonneau for that price, and also i dont think youll find one that allows you acces to the steak pockets, everyone i have ever seen or had covers up the holes, and also just fyi, the roll tops ones usually shrink over the years, the one on my truck slowly shrank and eventually i couldnt close it all the way in the very back and very front cuz it had shrunk too much, just lettin ya know! go for a hard top, thats what i got now and i love it, they are pricey though!!

Old 05-27-2007, 06:09 PM
jantman
Junior User
A hard top isn't really an option - not really practical to quickly remove in order to actually use the bed.

A lot of the ones I saw on summitracing.com are well under $400, there are quite a few that start around $200.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:15 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Truxedo and access are the only covers I am aware of that fit inside the bed and do not interfere with the stake pocket holes. Of the two, truxedo would be my pick, the hardware seems much nicer (spring loaded tensioners, toolless clamps) and the tarp's corners are cut to be flush and don't stick out like access'. It's going to cost you just under $500 for a truxedo QT and a little more for the duce.

Extang makes a snapless cover that is in your price range, about $300. However, it sits ontop of the rails.

Piaa's are out of your price range, but they do have a very nice set of factory fog light replacements. They are the only aftermarket lights I have seen that closely resemble the stock. For $100/pair try looking at Pilot or some of the other imports.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:29 AM
jantman
Junior User
I just bought the Extang RT (http://www.extang.com/docs/extangrt.html) which is a low-profile model - it does not cover the bed rails.

I'll post some comments when I get it.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:31 AM
wrobo23
Elder User
i have access... no shrinkage (lol) and doesn't cover stakes... overall, i couldn't ask for a better tonneau

Old 05-29-2007, 05:12 AM
bla1879
Fleet Mechanic
well no shrinkage is the most important thing i think

Old 05-29-2007, 08:30 AM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 05-29-2007, 11:25 AM
yankeerider
Cross-Country
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE=jantman]Hi,

tonneau covers... I'm looking for something that's soft, roll-up, and NOT snaps. I'd really like something that can lock shut when the tailgate is locked. Low-profile is good, and something that allows access to the stake pockets is even better. $400 absolute maximum, cheaper is better.

I just installed a Truxedo Lo-Pro on my 08 SuperDuty and I am very satisfied. Rolled it up to haul lumber for the first time this past weekend, and was very pleased with how quickly it rolled up and secured, and then how quickly it went back into place after unloading.

Oh yeah.. i got a better price at my local speed shop than I could find on line.

It wasn't under $400, but this is a quality product, and worth a little extra for the features, IMHO.