Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Program a PATs Key with Only One working Key??

Old 06-13-2013, 08:38 PM
Curt's05
Wiser by FTE

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
cant the single key be cloned at a hardware store or locksmith?

Old 06-13-2013, 09:56 PM
mickey1529
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
key

Hardware store "no" locksmith " yes" they can cut it and program it but it will cost between 75 and 125 depending on locksmith

Old 06-14-2013, 12:31 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by mickey1529
When you buy a used car they do have 2 keys, 1 goes to you and 1 goes to the finance company who did your loan, if you default , they have the spare key.
Righhhhhht, that's why they do that with new cars too, right?

This is bad info, this does not happen.

If a dealership has only one key, it's because the spare keys were either lost, or the dealership received the vehicle (either through auction or trade in) with only one key.

You bumped a 6 year old thread to post bad information. Not cool.

Stewart

Old 06-14-2013, 05:34 AM
Archion
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only time I've ever seen a dealer keep a key was one of those buy here pay here lots and they knew that 8 out 10 they would be picking back up. They handled their own repos with no tow truck...

Old 06-14-2013, 07:15 AM
vettdvr
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took my ONE key to the locksmith and paid $90 to have him MAKE me another. Now I have two keys.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:52 AM
mickey1529
New User
Keys

That is what I am doing today, I called a locksmith and it is $95 here in Knoxville Tn. It has to be done, because you have to have 2 keys to your car.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:52 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Archion
The only time I've ever seen a dealer keep a key was one of those buy here pay here lots and they knew that 8 out 10 they would be picking back up. They handled their own repos with no tow truck...
Ah yes, "pot lots" are different, especially when they self-finance.

Stewart

Old 06-15-2013, 06:10 AM
mickey1529
New User
keys

They now have to send one to the finance company or keep one for them is because you have to have the vehicle open , the key in the ignition in the run position and the computer plugged it under the dash to program a key, with out a programmed key they could not come and get the truck or start the truck with out a key. Modern tech has now not allowed even the car companies or a locksmith make you a key anymore. They could change out the ignition switch for around 300 bucks , so it is much cheaper to just keep a key for the Loan folks and pass the cost of us making the key .

Old 06-15-2013, 10:42 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
They now have to send one to the finance company or keep one for them is because you have to have the vehicle open , the key in the ignition in the run position and the computer plugged it under the dash to program a key, with out a programmed key they could not come and get the truck or start the truck with out a key.
Mickey, you're new here and I'll admit, I thought you were trolling when you bumped this thread and posted bad info to the thread, so I was a bit harsh.

The jury is still out on whether you are trolling or not, but since you're still posting, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. However, you're still posting bad info.

Modern tech has now not allowed even the car companies or a locksmith make you a key anymore.
PATS keys have been around for a minimum of 13 years. So the tech has been around for quite some time and dealerships CAN make a PATS key for you. Its been done before.

They could change out the ignition switch for around 300 bucks , so it is much cheaper to just keep a key for the Loan folks and pass the cost of us making the key .
The ignition switch has nothing to do with the RF signal the PATS system uses. The RF signal is on the PCM and communicates with the transponder in the PATS key. You can change out the ignition switch as many times as you want and it won't defeat the PATS system.

I've worked at dealerships before, and I've had friends who have worked at dealerships before: There is no requirement for a dealership to send a key to the finance company when a vehicle is purchased. NONE!

I've purchased many used vehicles in my lifetime and never has the finance company ever had a spare key sent to them. Just last year I refinanced my Excursion. Of the many things they had to have, including the pink slip, a key was never asked for.

Please, STOP posting bad info. If you feel I'm wrong, then please provide documentation from various financial institutions who fund vehicle loans and post that info here.

Stewart

Old 06-15-2013, 12:31 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
They now have to send one to the finance company or keep one for them is because you have to have the vehicle open , the key in the ignition in the run position and the computer plugged it under the dash to program a key, with out a programmed key they could not come and get the truck or start the truck with out a key. Modern tech has now not allowed even the car companies or a locksmith make you a key anymore. They could change out the ignition switch for around 300 bucks , so it is much cheaper to just keep a key for the Loan folks and pass the cost of us making the key .
I'm with Stewart. Every single aspect of your post is 100% wrong

A Dealership or properly equipped locksmith can easily program any vehicle with PATS for new keys. With or without a key present. They plug a module into the PCM and tell it what the new keys RFID codes are. Takes a few minutes. Last time I had it done I was in and out within 10 minutes

Old 06-15-2013, 04:05 PM
covert
New User
No. Just no. The only dealers that do this are the crappy buy-here, pay-here dealers where your "down payment" just paid for the car in full and your payments are pure profit. Repo, rinse, repeat.

Old 06-15-2013, 05:25 PM
mickey1529
New User
pats key

I called a locksmith on Friday , he said bring my key in, they have to have a key to cut a key to fit, then he said he would have to program it and it could take around 30 to 45 min, it may not take long but he was also busy when I called so some of the time could be for waiting my turn. A man at auto zone also told me they keep 1 key for the loan company. because they have to have a cut key to give the loan folks. They have to have one cut to turn it to the run position, Please let me know if I am incorrect before I spend some money on a chipped key
thanks a bunch

Old 06-15-2013, 06:44 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
I called a locksmith on Friday , he said bring my key in, they have to have a key to cut a key to fit, then he said he would have to program it and it could take around 30 to 45 min, it may not take long but he was also busy when I called so some of the time could be for waiting my turn. A man at auto zone also told me they keep 1 key for the loan company. because they have to have a cut key to give the loan folks. They have to have one cut to turn it to the run position, Please let me know if I am incorrect before I spend some money on a chipped key
thanks a bunch
As has already been stated by me (twice) and now two others, that part in bold red up there is not correct. The "man at Autozone" was completely (as in 100% completely, not a little bit, not 99%, but COMPLETELY) wrong when he stated that.

You can believe us, or you can believe one man at Autozone. What you believe, I could care less about. How it affects this forum specifically however, I do care about.

Now, as for the PATS key, if you have only one functioning PATS key, the only way to get a second working PATS key is to have one made at a dealership or a locksmith with the equipment to read the PATS system and create a second key for you.

Once you have TWO functioning PATS key's, it's very easy for you to program a third and fourth PATS key, once the key has been cut to work in your ignition.

The directions for programming a third and fourth PATS key (as long as you have two functioning PATS keys) is listed in the stickied Tech Folder thread at the top of the Excursion forum.

Stewart

Old 06-15-2013, 06:47 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by covert
Repo, rinse, repeat.
ROTFLMAO!

That got you some rep points!

Stewart

Old 06-15-2013, 08:54 PM
Curt's05
Wiser by FTE

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
My local hardware store cut/programed a key for my excursion for $75.00. I think its a cloned key not a copy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Program a PATs Key with Only One working Key??