1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is TIRE Size limited to the wheel you have?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-1999, 05:04 AM
none
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This question is to help out my friend who is currently in the process of "raising" his 1997 Jeep Wrangler with a suspension kit and a set of larger tires.

My friend is in the process of installing a set of 15x10" Eagle Alloys 589 rims fitted with BF Goodrich All Terrain 35x12.50" TA/KO tires onto his Jeep. The wheels were recently delivered to his house several days and the tires are on their way. But what is strange is that each wheel came enclosed in a box and on this box printed in red lettering is a warning stating that --

" Eagle Alloy does not support the use of any tire diameter greater than 32" to be installed on these 15x10" wheels."
HOW SERIOUS SHOULD THIS WARNING BE TAKEN?

What is PERPLEXING is that the local Chrysler/Jeep dealership is selling brand new Jeep Wranglers with an aftermarket lift kit package already installed. These kits include E/A 589 rims surrounded by at LEAST 33" tires. Then there are those companies seen in magazines and on the internet that advertise tire and wheel packages of 15x10" E/A 589 rims combined with tires of an outer diameter greater than 32." For example, if you go to DesertRat (<a href="http://www.desertrat.com/mudder/mega_mudder.htm">http://www.desertrat.com/mudder/mega_mudder.htm</a>), you will see that they are selling a package of 35" General Tire Conti Mud-Trac tires with the 15x10" E/A 589 rims for $850. Lastly, I have personally seen many trucks and Jeeps that have the E/A 589 rims with tires larger than 32" and there does not seem to be any apparent problem (if any).

Why would so many people be IGNORING this warning? I have never heard of this warning before nor have I seen any company mention this?

I wouldn't be losing any sleep over this but since the wheels were shipped to my friend's house, his parents read the warning printed on the box and have since refused to allow my friend to install such rims onto his Jeep, fearing that this could lead to an automobile accident, insurance coverage technicalities, lawsuit, death, blah blah blah, etc. This has made my friend very upset.

HOW SERIOUS SHOULD THIS WARNING BE TAKEN?
Anyone who can shed light on this topic is GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Old 12-07-1999, 01:41 AM
eric_1
New User

it's probably a lot like the hair dryer warning that reads "do not use while sleeping" someone probably cost them a lot of money in court and they are just covering their butts. i would call the company and talk to a cust service rep. if the wheels are'nt strong enough to handle big tires they are'nt strong enough to handle offroad use. ask the company if they sell any rims that can handle that size tire and if so what the differance between them is.

Old 12-08-1999, 07:55 AM
Chuck P.
Elder User

I've got two sets, one set with M/T 34-11.50's Bajas and the other with M/T 35-12.50's MTX's. What I looked for was the weight rating on the rims, they are good for 2800lbs each(15x10). If the tires are rated to carry more weight than the rims, I could see this being a real problem. These were purchased as a package deal and neither of my sets had this warning on them! I would definately contact the supplier and ask what prompted this warning-something those of us that run them should be aware of? I also think that this is a "cover your butt" type of bull to keep the laywers off their backs. I didn't think any vehical manufacture would allow you to run oversized tires either(give the OK)for this same reason. I've had no problems what so ever with the rims(other than I don't keep them as clean as I should!)even when almost all of the weight of the truck has been mostly on one wheel. Chuck P.

Old 12-08-1999, 06:47 PM
Ed Trethewey